What's a good database [fast, small, cheap]

I need a database with the following characteristics:

1. Relatively inexpensive to redistrubute with an application
2. Has ODBC driver
3. Works well with Delphi 3
4. Strong data security and integrity
5. Works Standalone or with small LAN (<5 Users).
6. Decent speed across LAN

Price is important because we'll be deploying thousands of these things.

Any comments on Personal Oracle 7 or Sybase SQL Anywhere?

Kevin Davidson, VP
HumanSoft, LLC
kdavid...@humansoft-llc.com

Re:What's a good database [fast, small, cheap]

Hi,

maybe you can take a good look at Interbase 5.0 (http://www.interbase.com).
I heard from several people that it's a cheap though very decent and
powerful database. Interbase is a product from Inprise (Borland) and has
been working together with Delphi for several years now. On the samples page
in Delphi you can find the TIBEventAlerter component and that's not for
nothing! There are several components to be downloaded from the interbase
site that talk to the interbase server without using the BDE. Just check it
out...

Good luck!

--
Martijn Tonies
http://surf.to/seal97

<none of the text written above has got anything to do with Euro Partners
Informatici BV>

System Development
Euro Partners Informatici BV
http://www.euro-partners.nl

Kevin Davidson heeft geschreven in bericht
<35802656.33FEE...@worldnet.att.net>...

>I need a database with the following characteristics:

>1. Relatively inexpensive to redistrubute with an application
>2. Has ODBC driver
>3. Works well with Delphi 3
>4. Strong data security and integrity
>5. Works Standalone or with small LAN (<5 Users).
>6. Decent speed across LAN

>Price is important because we'll be deploying thousands of these things.

>Any comments on Personal Oracle 7 or Sybase SQL Anywhere?

>Kevin Davidson, VP
>HumanSoft, LLC
>kdavid...@humansoft-llc.com

Re:What's a good database [fast, small, cheap]

In my humble opinion I would try Sybase's SQL Anywhere product.  You
can try the complete product for 60-days just by downloading it.  It
is fantastic.  I just converted my dBase only app to SQL Anywhwere
using ODBC and not only is it fast, but the disk space used to store
the same amount of data was cut in HALF !

For $250 or less you get the Client drivers and the server software to
run on either the local Win95 PC, another Win95 PC via Windows peer to
peer, Novel servers or Windows NT.

Just go to http://www.sybase.com and download it.

gpdo...@maine.rr.com wrote in article <35810b3e.1617032@news-server>...

> In my humble opinion I would try Sybase's SQL Anywhere product.  You
> can try the complete product for 60-days just by downloading it.  It
> is fantastic.  I just converted my dBase only app to SQL Anywhwere
> using ODBC and not only is it fast, but the disk space used to store
> the same amount of data was cut in HALF !

> For $250 or less you get the Client drivers and the server software to
> run on either the local Win95 PC, another Win95 PC via Windows peer to
> peer, Novel servers or Windows NT.

> Just go to http://www.sybase.com and download it.

They also have a reseller program that includes master disk licensing and
product discounts for only $895 per year.

Other Threads