"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

Hallo,

Hope somebody can help me!
I've a Paradox table with 8 Million Records
and a block size of ~ 32000. Why do I get
a "table full" error.

With 2 Million records no errors occured?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Stephan Schneider

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

Paradox has a limitation of 2 billion records in a table!
For more limitations you could look at:
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list/TI2751.html

Eric Jan Pot

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:06:40 +0100, Stephan Schneider wrote:
> Hope somebody can help me!
> I've a Paradox table with 8 Million Records
> and a block size of ~ 32000. Why do I get
> a "table full" error.

You got this error because you've obviously reached Paradox limits.

Is there any chance that you reduce the record size?
Could it be that you have some unnecessary data you can omit?

--
Miha Remec

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

How big is the .db file? Are you sure the block size is 32k? With a 32k
block size the maximum .db size is 2 gigabytes.

Bill

--
Bill Todd

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

>Hope somebody can help me!
>I've a Paradox table with 8 Million Records
>and a block size of ~ 32000. Why do I get
>a "table full" error.

If the block size is 32K then the table is full when it reaches its maximum size
of 2 gig.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

With Records > 1 000 000  You work with Paradox?
What is this SQL Server???

--
Ivan Borissov Kojouharov
ikojuha...@bitex.com

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

What are you doing using Paradox for 8 millions records?!!!  It has a real
world limitation of about 50,000 records!  For anything over this size you
should be using a more robust RDBMS like Oracle or SQL Server.

Tom deBettencourt
PCR Software Solutions
tdeb...@pcrsoft.com

Stephan Schneider wrote in message <73u4u5$le...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hallo,

>Hope somebody can help me!
>I've a Paradox table with 8 Million Records
>and a block size of ~ 32000. Why do I get
>a "table full" error.

>With 2 Million records no errors occured?

>Thanks in advance and best regards
>Stephan Schneider

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

>What are you doing using Paradox for 8 millions records?!!!  It has a real
>world limitation of about 50,000 records!  For anything over this size you
>should be using a more robust RDBMS like Oracle or SQL Server.

I agree that with 8 million records you need to be with a client server database
but 50,000 records is way to low to rule out Paradox tables.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

The reason for 50,000 real world record limitation is from my experience.  I
have seen a lot of degradation on SQL joins of tables when they get around
this size.  I agree that there are many factors which could affect
performance including type, size and number of fields and especially primary
index definitions.

But even if Paradox could zip along with very large tables it's inherent
problems without having server side stored procedures, transaction logging,
and enhanced optimization leave it helpless using a big database.  The other
problem of the relative open connection is a big security hole.  The
corruption problem possibility when an application fails while a record is
open and locked is too much for any constantly used system.

I have to think that a database with at least one table of 8 million records
or 50,000 records is being used enough to encounter some of Paradox
problems.

I think that Paradox is a great database and I have used it for a long time
now for many things.  But I have learned that it cannot be reliably used in
anything like a client/server system.

Tom deBettencourt
PCR Software Solutions
tdeb...@pcrsoft.com

Brian Bushay TeamB wrote in message <366ae1c3.33010196@floyd>...

>>What are you doing using Paradox for 8 millions records?!!!  It has a real
>>world limitation of about 50,000 records!  For anything over this size you
>>should be using a more robust RDBMS like Oracle or SQL Server.

>I agree that with 8 million records you need to be with a client server
database
>but 50,000 records is way to low to rule out Paradox tables.

>--
>Brian Bushay (TeamB)
>Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:"Table Full-Error" - Paradox-Table 8 Million Recs

Does Using interbase solve these problems.  I would like to build a
robust DB that may end up with a lot of records (though we may need
to archive some of them).  It will be heavily used by one user. It is
central to important time sensitive (deadline driven) work.
Currently using paradox table and I think I made a bad choice.
Don't have money to go out and buy software.  Interbase came with
Delphi 2 (I just have the regular version of Delphi 2 not the C/S
but I believe this version can work with intebase tables just not
through DB desktop).  Would I be better off in general to use interbase
tables for this and other DB projects?

In article <74dbh4$5...@forums.borland.com>, tdeb...@pcrsoft.com says...

> The reason for 50,000 real world record limitation is from my experience.  I
> have seen a lot of degradation on SQL joins of tables when they get around
> this size.  I agree that there are many factors which could affect
> performance including type, size and number of fields and especially primary
> index definitions.

> But even if Paradox could zip along with very large tables it's inherent
> problems without having server side stored procedures, transaction logging,
> and enhanced optimization leave it helpless using a big database.  The other
> problem of the relative open connection is a big security hole.  The
> corruption problem possibility when an application fails while a record is
> open and locked is too much for any constantly used system.

> I have to think that a database with at least one table of 8 million records
> or 50,000 records is being used enough to encounter some of Paradox
> problems.

> I think that Paradox is a great database and I have used it for a long time
> now for many things.  But I have learned that it cannot be reliably used in
> anything like a client/server system.

> Tom deBettencourt
> PCR Software Solutions
> tdeb...@pcrsoft.com