Updating BDE config over network

We've got a shared Paradox application running on roughly 275 NT 4.0
workstations.  We're using Paradox 7 w/ update 4.  (I'm not 100% certain
what BDE version this gives us.  The timestamp on IDAPI32.DLL is 02/04/1996
4:01 AM, suggesting v 3.X, but when I inspect the version information under
properties of IDAPI32.DLL it tells me v 4.171.)

We'd like to update the BDE configuration on our clients by means of a
script that will replace the existing IDAPI32.CFG with a new version.  Will
this work?  I've read that some of the BDE configuration information is
stored in the Windows registry, suggesting that simply replacing the config
file will be insufficient.

Any insights would be appreciated.

--
Bob Buttram

Supply Systems Analyst
ZAP-IT! System Administrator
Subsistence Business Office (HXRL)
Defense Supply Center Philadelphia
paa5...@exmail.dscp.dla.mil

Re:Updating BDE config over network

The easiest way to handle this on a large network is to turn on Win 3.1
compatibility in the BDE Administrator. This will cause all settings to be
stored in the config file. Then move the config file to the file server and
change the ConfigFile01 registry entry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Borland/Database Engine to point to the config
file on the server. This will cause all 275 workstations to use the same
config file which makes changes easy in the future.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Updating BDE config over network

Please see the example for DbiOpenCfgInfoList at
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex/ it is the correct way to
handle this.

/Stefan

"Bob Buttram" <paa5...@dscp.dla.mil> skrev i meddelandet

> We've got a shared Paradox application running on roughly 275 NT 4.0
> workstations.  We're using Paradox 7 w/ update 4.  (I'm not 100% certain
> what BDE version this gives us.  The timestamp on IDAPI32.DLL is
02/04/1996
> 4:01 AM, suggesting v 3.X, but when I inspect the version information
under
> properties of IDAPI32.DLL it tells me v 4.171.)

> We'd like to update the BDE configuration on our clients by means of a
> script that will replace the existing IDAPI32.CFG with a new version.
Will
> this work?  I've read that some of the BDE configuration information is
> stored in the Windows registry, suggesting that simply replacing the
config
> file will be insufficient.

> Any insights would be appreciated.

> --