Making it "crippled"ware

Depends on the software.  If your software prints or saves its output,
I would recommend a separate build (NOT just a disabling of the menu
items) with your code for saving or printing commented out before the
compile.  If it is in there the crackers will get it working.  If the
code is not there to begin with, there is nothing to crack.

Many crippleware programs do this.  Visio, for example, distributes
demo CDs where the saved files will not load up in the real product.

-SynTap

On Thu, 02 Apr 1998 21:59:51 GMT, dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca (Denis

Sarrazin) wrote:
>I'm going to be trying to sell a software that I've written in Delphi.  I'd
>like to make a version of this software that is "crippled" so that people can
>try it out, but have to buy the full version in order to be able to use it.

>What's the best way to build this kind of feature into a delphi application (if
>possible, without the use to third party tools)?

>Thanks,
>Denis
>Aquarius Creations
>dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca
>http://www.{*word*104}us.ca/~dsarrazin/Homepage1.shtml

Re:Making it "crippled"ware

If you want to restrict access to a certain feature, you can use conditionals.
For example, if you want to restrict the user's ability to save:

procedure TForm1.SaveBtnClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  {$IFDEF SHAREWARE}
  MessageDlg('You must register to save the file',mtInformation,[mbOK],0);
  {$ELSE}
  SaveDialog.Execute;
  {$ENDIF}
end;

Then when want to compile a restricted version just go to the
Directories/Conditionals tab in Project|Options and type SHAREWARE as a
conditional.

Ken Johnson
k...@bigfoo.com

In article <35260a1d.77112...@forums.borland.com>, dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca (Denis

Sarrazin) wrote:
>I'm going to be trying to sell a software that I've written in Delphi.  I'd
>like to make a version of this software that is "crippled" so that people can
>try it out, but have to buy the full version in order to be able to use it.

>What's the best way to build this kind of feature into a delphi application (if
>possible, without the use to third party tools)?

>Thanks,
>Denis
>Aquarius Creations
>dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca