Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

2008-05-20 07:02:48 PM
delphi145
Hi,
do I understand correctly:
- D2008 will support generics for Delphi/Win32
- D2008 will support unicode components only
- For non-unicode applications, Delphi 2007 has to be used
The reason seems to be, that inside the IDE only
one sort of components can be installed (i.e.
unicode components for D2008).
Does this mean, that there will not be generics
for non-unicode applications, or will D2008 have
the possibility to create non-unicode GUI applications?
Unfortuately I still have to support some Win98 clients,
so this might be an issue for me.
kind regrads
Ingo

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:02:48 +0200, Ingo Zettl writes:
Does this mean, that there will not be generics
for non-unicode applications, or will D2008 have
the possibility to create non-unicode GUI applications?
Generics and components are not the same thing. You would probably be
able to use generics on any type Unicode or non-unicode.
CodeGear has said that they will no longer support Win9x
(blogs.codegear.com/abauer/2008/01/09/38845).
Even though it might be possible to write a DLL in D2008 (assuming you
don't use any components or Unicode at all) and work around the issues
as Rudy suggested, I doubt it would be worth the hassle.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

"Fred Watson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I tried to run the application on a Windows 2000, but wired
stuff started to happen.
Can you be a little more specific?
Gambit

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

"Ingo Zettl" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
do I understand correctly:
- D2008 will support generics for Delphi/Win32
- D2008 will support unicode components only
- For non-unicode applications, Delphi 2007 has to be used
Yes to all.
Does this mean, that there will not be generics for
non-unicode applications
Correct.
will D2008 have the possibility to create non-unicode GUI applications?
No.
Gambit

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

Can you be a little more specific?
I think this is the specific part:
"The application controls externals equipment via COM ports,
some of the commands started to get lost under Windows 2000. I played
around with COM port settings and application compatibility modes, but
that didn't help, and I was forced to move back to Windows 95."

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

"James Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I think this is the specific part:
Not really. You said that "weird stuff" was happening, but you did not say
what that was exactly.
Have you tried sniffing the COM port to verify whether commands actually are
getting lost? It could just be a bug in the application not even sending
the commands to begin with.
Have you considered running the app in a Win95 virtual manchine (VMWare or
similar) on a Win2000+ machine? At least then your own apps can run
natively on 2000+ so you can use Unicode and such, while the legacy app
continues to runs in Win95, but they would be on the same physical machine
running side by side.
Gambit

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

Not really.
Not really what?

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

"Rick Carter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Second, what the OP said was that "wired stuff" was happening.
So, I suppose we can exclude any wireless stuff from consideration.
Given the context the OP used it in, I take "wired" to be a misspelled
"weird".
Gambit

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

Can you not tell them to at least upgrade to Windows 2000? Why must they
still be running a very insecure platform?
I'm providing software to a company, they distribute
it to their customers, so I don't have direct influence
on the end customers. People who need a computer just
to run their business don't care about the OS that much.
So basically I have to support what the customer asks for.

Re:Delphi Generics and Non-Unicode

I think you're confused, Remy. First of all, James was not the OP.
Just to avoid confusion: the wired/weird stuff was Fred
Watson, not me...

>I think this is the specific part:

Not really. You said that "weird stuff" was happening, but you did not say
what that was exactly.
I think you're confused, Remy. First of all, James was not the OP.
Second, what the OP said was that "wired stuff" was happening. So, I suppose
we can exclude any wireless stuff from consideration.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Ingo Zettl writes:

>Unfortuately I still have to support some Win98 clients,
>so this might be an issue for me.

Use the generics in a DLL and link to it from your Delphi 2007 GUI code. <g>
Is this a joke or are you serious?
(I can not really tell.)

Michael C. writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
>Ingo Zettl writes:
>
>>Unfortuately I still have to support some Win98 clients,
>>so this might be an issue for me.
>
>Use the generics in a DLL and link to it from your Delphi 2007 GUI code.
><g>

Is this a joke or are you serious?
(I can not really tell.)
I was serious. If the DLL only explicitly uses ANSI APIs or none at
all, I don't see the problem. The VCL part can be in the program, while
routines that need generics to work can be in a DLL.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"I took a course in speed reading and was able to read War and

Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:
On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:09:16 +0200, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>I was serious. If the DLL only explicitly uses ANSI APIs or none at
>all, I don't see the problem. The VCL part can be in the program,
>while routines that need generics to work can be in a DLL.

If the RTL in system.pas links statically to Unicode APIs (which I
assume would be necessary to implement Unicode strings efficiently)
Hmmm... The DLL should of course not use Unicode strings, then.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
Fundamentalists: believe 2+2=5 because It Is Written. Somewhere.

On Wed, 21 May 2008 14:51:58 +0200, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:

>On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:09:16 +0200, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
>
>>I was serious. If the DLL only explicitly uses ANSI APIs or none at
>>all, I don't see the problem. The VCL part can be in the program,
>>while routines that need generics to work can be in a DLL.
>
>If the RTL in system.pas links statically to Unicode APIs (which I
>assume would be necessary to implement Unicode strings efficiently)

Hmmm... The DLL should of course not use Unicode strings, then.
I'm not sure if this would be enough for the DLL imports not to be
linked in.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com