Question About SA

2007-02-22 04:23:30 AM
delphi45
I currently own D2006 Pro. So, it appears that upgrading to Delphi 2007 Pro for
Win32 by itself costs $399. If I add SA to that it goes up to $759, but
presumably I get the CodeGear Development Studio 2007 later as part of that
deal. So here's the question. Once I have bought SA for a year, does this mean
that in following years I can get all the Delphi/CodeGear Delphi and Studio pro
products for the mere cost of renewing SA (i.e. $359 a year)?
What about Delphi for PHP? Will this be part of the CodeGear development studio?
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:Question About SA

My experience has been that the cost of SA is less then the cost of the
upgrade. I have never used the "support" part of SA. I purchased SA a few
years back with an upgrade and its just part of my annual programming tools
budget.
- Lou
"Captain Jake" <jake@[nospam]jsnewsreader.com>writes

Captain Jake writes:
Once I have bought SA for a year, does this mean
that in following years I can get all the Delphi/CodeGear Delphi and
Studio pro products for the mere cost of renewing SA (i.e. $359 a
year)?
That is how SA has worked in the past (and present), anyway. SA prices
and terms have changed from year to year in the past; I hope CodeGear
keeps them more stable than Borland did.
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Re:Question About SA

Lou Feliz writes:
My experience has been that the cost of SA is less then the cost of
the upgrade.
That has been true *except* when Borland had the $1000 minimum for a
while.

Captain Jake writes:
Once I have bought SA for a year, does this mean
that in following years I can get all the Delphi/CodeGear Delphi and
Studio pro products for the mere cost of renewing SA
Yes, that is the idea. Continue to renew SA, and you will get everything
in the Studio line of products as a result.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re:Question About SA

In article <45dcb674$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Nick Hodges (CodeGear)
says...
Captain Jake writes:

>Once I have bought SA for a year, does this mean
>that in following years I can get all the Delphi/CodeGear Delphi and
>Studio pro products for the mere cost of renewing SA

Yes, that is the idea. Continue to renew SA, and you will get everything
in the Studio line of products as a result.
What about his question re: Delphi for PHP?
Is Delphi for PHP part of the Studio line of products?
Or is it part of the Delphi line of Products?
Or do we need to ask the /other/ Delphi Product Manager those questions?
:(
--
Jolyon Smith
WHILE INKEY$ WEND

Re:Question About SA

"Jolyon Smith" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
In article <45dcb674$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Nick Hodges (CodeGear)
says...
>Yes, that is the idea. Continue to renew SA, and you will get everything
>in the Studio line of products as a result.

What about his question re: Delphi for PHP?

They've already answered this elsewhere.
Is Delphi for PHP part of the Studio line of products?
No. Not currently.
Or is it part of the Delphi line of Products?
8:-)
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:Question About SA

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
Yes, that is the idea. Continue to renew SA, and you will get everything
in the Studio line of products as a result.
Here's a model I'd like you to consider:
Drop the term Software Assurance. Adopt the term subscription.
Purchase Delphi 2007 for Win32. Purchase automatically includes 12 months
updates. Essentially you are purchasing a subscription whether you want to
or not with the initial purchase.
At the end of the 12 months you renew the subscription. You are given
60-90 days to renew. Date of subscription would start at date of
expiration of prior subscription.
After the 60-90 days you are still able to renew but at a higher cost,
increased each month until full amount of an initial purchase would needed
again. Date of subscription would start at renewal date, not at expiration
(after all, you are paying more now).
After you have this model add subscriptions that include everything you
make and subscription that only follow a specific track.
The biggest problem with SA as it is now is it is like paying twice to get
on board. This is quite a negative thing. (BTW, I am on my 2nd year SA on
architect. I like SA, I don't like how it is implemented.)
--
John

Re:Question About SA

"John E. Wilfong" <j[nospam]wilfong@[reversethis]moc.loa>writes

Here's a model I'd like you to consider:

Drop the term Software Assurance. Adopt the term subscription.

Purchase Delphi 2007 for Win32. Purchase automatically includes 12 months
updates. Essentially you are purchasing a subscription whether you want to
or not with the initial purchase.

I came to exactly the same conclusion when considering SA in the last 24
hours.
At the end of the 12 months you renew the subscription. You are given
60-90 days to renew. Date of subscription would start at date of
expiration of prior subscription.

Sounds OK. I would suggest a maximum of 30% of original purchase price to renew.
After the 60-90 days you are still able to renew but at a higher cost,
increased each month until full amount of an initial purchase would needed
again. Date of subscription would start at renewal date, not at expiration
(after all, you are paying more now).

Too complicated. Either you renew within the time period or have to pay an
upgrade price (e.g. 70% of original price).
After you have this model add subscriptions that include everything you
make and subscription that only follow a specific track.

The biggest problem with SA as it is now is it is like paying twice to get
on board. This is quite a negative thing.
Indeed - particularly when there is currently no credible roadmap and no
indication of prices for the next 12 months.

Re:Question About SA

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Lou Feliz writes:

>My experience has been that the cost of SA is less then the cost of
>the upgrade.

That has been true except when Borland had the $1000 minimum for a
while.
While Borland might have come back on this price tag, some resellers
haven't yet.....
--

Re:Question About SA

John E. Wilfong writes:
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
>Yes, that is the idea. Continue to renew SA, and you will get
>everything in the Studio line of products as a result.
Here's a model I'd like you to consider:
Drop the term Software Assurance. Adopt the term subscription.

Purchase Delphi 2007 for Win32. Purchase automatically includes 12 months
updates. Essentially you are purchasing a subscription whether you
want to or not with the initial purchase.
My thoughts exactly.
And looking how things are changing, it may well be that that Codegear
is moving in that direction. Subscriptions are more targeted at the
smaller guys who hate to pay up front twice to buy a product.
The current Software Assurance, with the included support incidents,is
more targeted at large companies, which is not strange considering that
it came up at a time when Borland was moving their focus towards large
companies, ALM software and million dollar+ deals.
Jan Derk

Re:Question About SA

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, John E. Wilfong
writes:
Purchase Delphi 2007 for Win32. Purchase automatically includes 12 months
updates. Essentially you are purchasing a subscription whether you
want to or not with the initial purchase.

At the end of the 12 months you renew the subscription. You are given
60-90 days to renew. Date of subscription would start at date of
expiration of prior subscription.

After the 60-90 days you are still able to renew but at a higher cost,
increased each month until full amount of an initial purchase would
needed again. Date of subscription would start at renewal date, not
at expiration (after all, you are paying more now).
This is more or less exactly what we do, save that we have four price
points from about 25% of new price for continuing cover up to 50% if you
are a Delphi Developer of an much older version - remember the Bible story
about joy over sinners who repent! You need to get then to repent, not
punish them!
As I may have mentioned before, the two things a system like this gives you
are a steady cash flow and the ability to introduce new enhancements at any
time without saving them up. The latter, of course, is somewhat more
challenging with a development tool since we would all go mad (the third
party component suppliers especially) if the VCL was incrementally enhanced
each month! But if the help file improved month on month ....
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on' www.sda.co.uk
Software Industry Conference 2007 sponsor www.sic.org

Re:Question About SA

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, John E. Wilfong writes:
Purchase Delphi 2007 for Win32. Purchase automatically includes 12 months
updates. Essentially you are purchasing a subscription whether you want to
or not with the initial purchase.
I think that is a good idea, and the 12 months shouldn't necessarily be cast
in stone. Even if it was only 6 months, you would have 6 months to decide if
you should renew for another 12 months, and that would give you a little
break not requiring as big an upfront hit to get onto SA.
A new license purchase could have a longer intial subscription than someone
who purchased as an upgrade at a lower price.
If you think about this approach, it is very similar to the offers made just
prior to new releases where buying now qualifies for the new version free
when released.
Of course, for CodeGear, the issue will be the timing of revenue recognition.
A new license or upgrade gets recognized immediately, while SA must be
recognized over the life of the subscription term. Switching over to this
model will probably hurt earnings for 2 or 3 quarters until the number of
inforce subscriptions builds up.
Steve Tyrakowski

Re:Question About SA

Marco Caspers writes:
While Borland might have come back on this price tag, some resellers
haven't yet.....
If anyone runs into resellers still enforcing the requirement, please
let me know /immediately/ who they are.
--

Steve Tyrakowski writes:
A new license or upgrade gets recognized immediately,
The new, just released rules can cause even /this/ to change, depending
on what you say and do about future releases. It is particularly
onerous for software companies.