Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

2006-03-01 11:02:51 AM
delphi29
"John Jacobson" <jake@j[nospam]snewsreader.com>writes:
I swear, if DevCo cross-licenses and continues to use
Together, I am not buying their next product.
..and not buying their next product means what? Moving to something else? Sticking
with BDS2006? Going back to D7?
..and what effect exactly does this problem have on your work?
--
Dan

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

Anyone ever see this error before in BDS 2006?
EurekaLog 5.1.1
Application:
1.1 Start Date : Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:37:29 -0600
1.2 Name/Description: Borland?Developer Studio for Windows
1.3 Version Number : 10.0.2166.28377
1.4 Parameters :
1.5 Compilation Date:
Exception:
2.1 Date : Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:40:48 -0600
2.2 Address: 226BD32E
2.3 Module : dotnetcoreide100.bpl
2.4 Type : EOleException
2.5 Message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Not exactly the most useful error message. In any event, BDS 2006 had used
up over a gigabyte of RAM and gotten uselessly slow by the time this error
occurred. Every time I use one of the refactorings that depends on Together
I get screwed. I swear, if DevCo cross-licenses and continues to use
Together, I am not buying their next product.

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

Not exactly the most useful error message. In any event, BDS 2006 had used
up over a gigabyte of RAM and gotten uselessly slow by the time this error
occurred. Every time I use one of the refactorings that depends on
Together
I get screwed. I swear, if DevCo cross-licenses and continues to use
Together, I am not buying their next product.
I thought you liked their refactoring.
Lauchlan M

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

"Lauchlan M" <LMackinnonAT_NoSpam_ozemailDOTcomDOTau>writes
I thought you liked their refactoring.
Some if it, when it works. Over time, I am finding out which ones are not
worth the bother because of subsequent RAMplosion. I am finding that the
refactoring in CodeExplorer is preferable when it duplicates the refactoring
in D2006.
I really like the rename refactoring, and usually the Extract Method
refactoring. Yesterday I tried out the "Pull Factors Up" refactoring. Seemed
pretty nice. The item in the refactoring menu for finding and adding the
unit in which a symbol is declared is pretty useful and nice too.

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

I get screwed. I swear, if DevCo cross-licenses and continues to use
Together, I am not buying their next product.
didn't see this comming from you... you like modeling, don't you?
Some thoughts:
Why DevCo should even consider to cross license any Borland products?
What will be an interest or profit from this?
Together, OptimizeIt, StarTeam and now Segue... all of them are just one out
of the line of the products which are available on the market.
Any of these products are enterprise level products - by size, by
requirements (JVM), by effect on IDE itself.
yes, they are to tight right now with exBDS IDE, but they are not required
to be there.
being removed from exBDS Ent level, there is almost no lost for the product
as far as development tool go... except... overall cost of the box.
Might be it is a time to review product integration and open it for 3rd
party integration, provide real Open API for each segment... then... if
Borland will see interest to be present in Delphi market, then THEY can
integrate them self... and DevCo could stop waste money and time on
something which has special and very narrow reason to be within IDE itself.
Something which were bundled into IDE just because it is also product of the
same company, could be finally separated and be integrated without affecting
overall product stability.

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

Hello, John!
You wrote on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:46:07 -0600:
JJ>Every time I use one of the refactorings that depends on Together
JJ>I get screwed. I swear, if DevCo cross-licenses and continues to use
JJ>Together, I am not buying their next product.
Just don't install it.
With best regards, Ender. E-mail: XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

If a refactoring tool crashes, its not really screwing you, it might actually be
saving you from the worst ^_^
"screwing" would be introducing code corruptions a compilation of the refactored
code wouldn't detect, like adding dead/redundant code, messing up inline doc or
comments location wrt to commented code, randomizing some objects/methods names,
altering method visibility, etc.
Eric

John Jacobson writes:
I really like the rename refactoring, and usually the Extract Method
refactoring. Yesterday I tried out the "Pull Factors Up" refactoring.
Seemed pretty nice. The item in the refactoring menu for finding and
adding the unit in which a symbol is declared is pretty useful and
nice too.
Could you indicate which refactorings _aren't_ working for you?
IMO Extract Method is cool (but a shame it can not decide how to handle
begin/ends properly).
Many others aren't really refactorings but simply "code completion based on
refactoring technology".
--
Kristofer

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

I have the same problem inside win32 personality. It happens on random
occations, and require restart of the IDE.
Very annoying.
-Atle

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

John,
Not exactly the most useful error message. In any event, BDS 2006 had used
up over a gigabyte of RAM and gotten uselessly slow by the time this error
occurred. Every time I use one of the refactorings that depends on Together
I get screwed. I swear, if DevCo cross-licenses and continues to use
Together, I am not buying their next product.
you must be doing something wrong your machine, since I am not seeing
this problem with BDS 2006, here.
(Didn't see that one coming, huh? ;)
--
marc hoffman
Chief Architect, .NET

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

"marc hoffman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
you must be doing something wrong your machine, since I am not seeing this
problem with BDS 2006, here.
Could be. I did recently install VS2005. <g>

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: DevCo, please DO NOT cross-license Together!

>you must be doing something wrong your machine, since I am not seeing this
>problem with BDS 2006, here.

Could be. I did recently install VS2005. <g>
My brain can not cope. Which one of you is programming in Cobol?
Oliver Townshend

Oliver Y2K writes:
My brain can not cope. Which one of you is programming in Cobol?
LOL !
JoeH