De{*word*81}

2003-08-27 05:44:32 PM
delphi261
Does anyone know of any performance issues relating to leaving debug information in an exe. I know that debug increases the exe size, but does it have an impact on an apps speed of execution ?

Re:De{*word*81}

"Mark Wheeler" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Does anyone know of any performance issues relating to leaving debug information in an exe. I know that debug increases the exe size, but does it have an impact on an apps speed of execution ?
If you mean just the auxiliary info for debugging (not range and
overflow checking) then it won't affect speed.
Good luck.
Kurt

Re:De{*word*81}

Why would the blue dots in the gutter not line up with the executable
lines of code? I have deleted the dcu, map restarted Delphi 6 and windows.
But the blue dots are offset from the actual executable by 3 lines.
Only in 1 file though (I have deleted all other copies of the file).
I'm so confused. Any suggestions on what the problem is or how to fix it?
Ken Revak

Re:De{*word*81}

Why would the blue dots in the gutter not line up with the executable
lines of code? I have deleted the dcu, map restarted Delphi 6 and windows.
But the blue dots are offset from the actual executable by 3 lines.
Only in 1 file though (I have deleted all other copies of the file).
I'm so confused. Any suggestions on what the problem is or how to
fix it?
Perhaps you have some wrong end-of-line characters in the file - this
can confuse Delphi's IDE pretty much. You should open the file in
notepad and check if some of the returns in the source file are
replaced by box characters. If they are ou should delete those boxes
and replace them with enters.
Winods and therefore Delphi prefer text files to contain CR LF (#13
#10) as line seperators. However other operating systems use only one
of those chars: CR (Macintosh) or LF (Linux).

Re:De{*word*81}

Ken Revak <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
Why would the blue dots in the gutter not line up with the executable
lines of code? I have deleted the dcu, map restarted Delphi 6 and windows.
But the blue dots are offset from the actual executable by 3 lines.
Only in 1 file though (I have deleted all other copies of the file).
I'm so confused. Any suggestions on what the problem is or how to fix
it?

Ken Revak
Usually this is an indication that you have at least two diferrent versions
of the DCU file and the debuger is reading the wrong one.
regards
Yannis.

Re:De{*word*81}

#10) as line seperators. However other operating systems use only one
of those chars: CR (Macintosh) or LF (Linux).

Thats it thank you. I found a utility to do that at
www.chmaas.handshake.de
Ken

Re:De{*word*81}

I just wanted to tell you that I have not given up the idea of writing my
own Kylix IDE.
I've decided to start with the harder parts.
For me, this is the de{*word*81} and the parser, then the
form-designer/object inspector.
The de{*word*81}-integration (gdb) is already a little bit useful see:
An exception is raised:
www.theo.ch/kylix/dbgdemo2.png
Setting breakpoints and stepping through (or tracing into) the code:
www.theo.ch/kylix/dbgdemo1.png
Notice the little blue dots in the gutter, indicating if the line is
executable and the (partly working) code-folding feature.
Now, I am trying to improve the Code-Lens parser to make it through
System.pas. Not yet working. Mostly because of the Directives.
Have fun!
Theo

Re:De{*word*81}

"theo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I just wanted to tell you that I have not given up the idea of writing my
own Kylix IDE.

I've decided to start with the harder parts.
For me, this is the de{*word*81} and the parser, then the
form-designer/object inspector.

The de{*word*81}-integration (gdb) is already a little bit useful see:

An exception is raised:
www.theo.ch/kylix/dbgdemo2.png

Setting breakpoints and stepping through (or tracing into) the code:
www.theo.ch/kylix/dbgdemo1.png

Notice the little blue dots in the gutter, indicating if the line is
executable and the (partly working) code-folding feature.

Now, I am trying to improve the Code-Lens parser to make it through
System.pas. Not yet working. Mostly because of the Directives.
Very nice. Hope you suceed. :-)
Jonathan

Re:De{*word*81}

Cool! If Borland will ask to sell, do not sell:)

Re:De{*word*81}

theo writes:
I just wanted to tell you that I have not given up the idea of writing
my own Kylix IDE.

I've decided to start with the harder parts.
For me, this is the de{*word*81} and the parser, then the
form-designer/object inspector.

The de{*word*81}-integration (gdb) is already a little bit useful see:

An exception is raised:
www.theo.ch/kylix/dbgdemo2.png

Setting breakpoints and stepping through (or tracing into) the code:
www.theo.ch/kylix/dbgdemo1.png

Notice the little blue dots in the gutter, indicating if the line is
executable and the (partly working) code-folding feature.

Now, I am trying to improve the Code-Lens parser to make it through
System.pas. Not yet working. Mostly because of the Directives.

Have fun!
Theo
Very, very nice...
Perhaps you should OpenSource it and setup sourceforge project?
I don't know how many people will join you...
--
Best regards,
Fikret Hasovic fikret.fbtalk.net

Re:De{*word*81}

Very, very nice...
Thanks
Perhaps you should OpenSource it and setup sourceforge project?
It's too early. it is not even a "Project". I am just trying to find out
what's possible.
I don't know how many people will join you...

Could be rather frustrating.... ;-)

Re:De{*word*81}

That looks great Theo - well done.
I hope you get it finished.
Dean

Re:De{*word*81}

"theo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Very, very nice...

Thanks

>Perhaps you should OpenSource it and setup sourceforge project?

It's too early. it is not even a "Project". I am just trying to find out
what's possible.

>I don't know how many people will join you...

Could be rather frustrating.... ;-)
That's more or less up to you at this point. You can decide to administer
your project however you see fit; turning it completely over to others or
having a {*word*241}hold on it the way Linus initially did with Linux.
Rob

Re:De{*word*81}

Today's update:
A reasonable Man-Page Viewer. www.theo.ch/kylix/mandemo.png
Not that command-line thing.
And as you may see in the Form's caption: The Idea (the Project?) has a
name now: "Pilatus" like our (local) mountain
(www.pilatus.ch/default.asp

Re:De{*word*81}

can be this will help in your de{*word*81} project
www.{*word*76}shed.net/devpascal.html