Re: How much does Delphi 05 cost?

2004-10-19 12:56:50 AM
delphi196
David Clegg writes:
>Joe Professional: Well, there's always Visual C#/VB.NET Standard
>Edition...

Joe Hobbyist: Even better! I just discovered the C#Builder Personal
free download. It may not be Delphi, but the IDE should make me feel
more at home. And I can use it for commercial development if I buy a
version for less than 100 bucks.
Great. :-( As a Delphi developer I personally would like to see more
people using Delphi, not C#.
I'm glad you're thinking positive though...
Cheers,
Kevin.

Kevin writes:
Oliver Townshend writes:
>but the upgrade is only $399.
>
>Oliver Townshend

Fine. But try convincing someone to start developing in Delphi as a
hobbyist. ;-)
Like I said, I started in BASIC and assembler. One does not necessarily
have to have started in Delphi to appreciate it.
Usually one can get older versions of Delphi for a fairly low price, at
shops that sell such software.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Never mistake motion for action." -- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Usually one can get older versions of Delphi for a fairly low price, at
shops that sell such software.
ISBN 3826606434. D3.01 Pro _Full_ Eng/Ger. ~25 Euros.
--
Ben

Ben Hochstrasser writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>Usually one can get older versions of Delphi for a fairly low
>price, at shops that sell such software.

ISBN 3826606434. D3.01 Pro Full Eng/Ger. ~25 Euros.
Oh, indeed. Forgot about that.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"It's clearly a budget. it is got a lot of numbers in it."

Kevin writes:
As a Delphi developer I personally would like to see more people
using Delphi, not C#.
Me too! I was merely combating the knee jerk reaction of moving to
VS.NET when Borland has a 'hobbyist' version of a tool that also
targets C#.
Admittedly it is not as bad as the reaction I have seen many times where
people have stated "My Delphi Win32 code isn't 1005 compilable in D8.
Stuff this, I am migrating to VS.NET". There may be a few conversion
issues but nowhere near as many as converting to a completely different
language, and using a completely foreign IDE.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Kevin writes:

Great. :-( As a Delphi developer I personally would like to see more
people using Delphi, not C#.
Me too! I was merely combating the knee jerk reaction of moving to
VS.NET when Borland has a 'hobbyist' version of a tool that also
targets C#.
Admittedly it is not as bad as the reaction I have seen many times where
people have stated "My Delphi Win32 code isn't 100% compilable in D8.
Stuff this, I am migrating to VS.NET". There may be a few conversion
issues but nowhere near as many as converting to a completely different
language, and using a completely foreign IDE.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dclegg_at_ebetonline_dot_com
Vote 1 cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing :-)
Now supports Google Groups searching with Dyna-extend(tm) technology!
QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
qc.borland.com
"First you don't want me to get the pony, then you want me to take it
back. Make up your mind." - Homer Simpson