Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

2004-08-27 04:54:05 AM
delphi106
At least, then, Borland should write an official disposition in QC for
all to read, where they state their stance on the matter!
That way people can tell the difference between being ignored and being
declined.
There are at least two ways in which a suggestion can be "declined." "No,
we'll never do that" and "we're keeping an eye on the market and when we
feel the costs will bring an appropriate return, we'll revisit the issue."
In most higher-level suggestions, the latter is the most common answer.
The problem with putting these kinds of things into QC, is that it is not a
very effective way of communicating this information. Vision statements,
and future road maps are the preferred way to disseminate this information.
Also, those things are as much about what *is* said as they are about what
is *not* said.
--
Allen Bauer
Delphi/C#Builder Principal Architect

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

Thomas Miller in <412e2b4b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
The only reward I want is a timely patch with the bug fixed. That is
all I have ever wanted. How do we get Borland to do this!!!
Use QC more. Get everyone you know to use QC. The more people on QC,
the louder and more powerful its "voice" becomes.
It is your single, BEST option to have a large customer base help
Borland prioritize its tasks. The second option, as Craig has
indicated, it to talk to your sales people.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

Kristofer Skaug in <412e2a1a$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Would you say that votes are more important for minor feature
requests and bugs?
No. I'd say that votes are a factor in evaluating any specific
report. No more, no less.
If we had no people at Borland who can judge bug reports and feature
requests on their own merits, we'd be in really big trouble. QC votes
give you the ability to tell Borland what's important to you. It
doesn't replace the thought processes involved in planning a product
release or update.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

Captain Jake in <412e2ebb$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Democratic politics is a terrible model to use
for product development.
That's worth repeating. So I did. ;)
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

Thomas Miller in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
The biggest problem I face is waiting 18 months for bug fixes.
The biggest problem Borland faces on these newsgroups is someone taking
a single instance of a worst-case scenario and pretending it is the norm.
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:

If we had no people at Borland who can judge bug reports and feature
requests on their own merits, we'd be in really big trouble. QC votes
give you the ability to tell Borland what's important to you. It
doesn't replace the thought processes involved in planning a product
release or update.
Fully agree.
--
Kristofer

Allen Bauer writes:

The problem with putting these kinds of things into QC, is that it is
not a very effective way of communicating this information.
Perhaps not in general, but it *is* a place where QC users could
get specific feedback on specific requests. Vision statements
rarely touch on specific features at the level of QC entries.
Vision statements, and future road maps are the preferred way
to disseminate this information. Also, those things are as much
about what *is* said as they are about what is *not* said.
Hmmm... Borland's roadmaps ("open letters") have been a sore point so
far.
(ask the BCB and CBX guys...)
But please do keep practicing, keep us informed if you can, by all
means.
--
Kristofer

Allen Bauer writes:
There are at least two ways in which a suggestion can be "declined."
"No, we'll never do that"
ie a status of "Won't do".
and "we're keeping an eye on the market and
when we feel the costs will bring an appropriate return, we'll
revisit the issue."
ie a status of "Deferred"? Perhaps there should be a status like this
in QC if there isn't already?
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
See Delphi 9 (codename: Diamondback) at BorCon (US) 2004:

Kristofer Skaug writes:
But please do keep practicing, keep us informed if you can, by all
means.
With sarcasm like that I wouldn't bother using QC any more. ;)
Don

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

.Net is still a solution in search of problem,
while 64bits can already be useful for consumer-level
products, f.i. software that handles pictures from
those 6 and 8 megapixels cameras, like
www.panoramafactory.com/pfactory64.html
Eric

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

The biggest problem Borland faces on these newsgroups is someone taking
a single instance of a worst-case scenario and pretending it is the norm.
Well, since, it is the sole instance for D7, by mathematical
definition, it is also the norm. The second D7SP1 version still
includes the {*word*99}py compiler version...
Eric

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:

ie a status of "Won't do".
A well authored report with a big following deserves the courtesy of a
more detailed disposition than this.
There should be an explanation so people understand *why* Borland can't
or won't go down a certain path.
"Won't do" in itself just comes across as a terse brush-off, and the lack
of considerate justification generates disenchantment with QC.
ie a status of "Deferred"? Perhaps there should be a status like this
in QC if there isn't already?
I believe it is there already.
--
Kristofer

Kristofer Skaug writes:
A well authored report with a big following deserves the courtesy of a
more detailed disposition than this.
Well, there are Resolutions comments that can serve that purpose. You
proably won't get a long detailed explanation, though.
--
Leonel
www.techtips.com.br

Leonel writes:

Well, there are Resolutions comments that can serve that purpose. You
proably won't get a long detailed explanation, though.
Yes, the mechanism is in place to support it.
I wasn't thinking of a 3000-word essay,
but rather something like a few lines.
More than just a "No", in any case.
--
Kristofer

Re: What Delphi users really want (other than bugfixes)

Steve Trefethen (Borland R&D) writes:
I can tell you for a fact that we do not ignore QC and that it's
quite the opposite. In R&D and QA we are constantly discussing QC
and the top issues our customers are facing.
Steve, I never said Borland ignored QC entirely, just that they seem to
be ignoring the highest voter getters QC. I know for a fact that some
of the issues I have reported have been addressed, are being addressed,
or may potentially be addressed in the future. I never meant to
indicate that QC was never used by Borland, for the misunderstanding I
apologize.
But it is good to hear that you guys utilize QC as much as you say, I
think QC is an excellent feedback mechanism for customers.
In so far as the possibility of a 64-bit compiler making it into the D9
box, I realize that it is very unlikely (and probably impossible
depending on how much work has been/hasn't been completed on R&D
versions). But what's more likely/possible is a similar deal as was
done with D7-- include an early command line version in the box, with
updates that can be downloaded later (with warnings about not using it
in production, etc). That'd be enough to satisfy me and show that
Borland is looking ahead.
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details