Oracle Connectivity

2005-11-03 07:15:50 PM
delphi128
Hi,
Is there a neat way of embedding oracle connectivity into a Delphi app
without the need for installing the Oracle client software? We want to
distribute this application and it would be preferable if our users didn't
have to install additional Oracle drivers. The app is written in Delphi 5,
but we can convert to Delphi 2005 if needed.
thanks,
jp

Re:Oracle Connectivity

Is there a neat way of embedding oracle connectivity into a Delphi app
without the need for installing the Oracle client software? We want to
distribute this application and it would be preferable if our users didn't
have to install additional Oracle drivers. The app is written in Delphi 5,
but we can convert to Delphi 2005 if needed.
If you don't use Oracle object types or the XMLType datatype,
you can try the CoreLab ODAC NET version. This can connect
to Oracle via TCP/IP without the need to install the Oracle client.
--
With regards,
Martijn Tonies

Re:Oracle Connectivity

Martijn Tonies writes:

>Is there a neat way of embedding oracle connectivity into a Delphi app
>without the need for installing the Oracle client software? We want to
>distribute this application and it would be preferable if our users didn't
>have to install additional Oracle drivers. The app is written in Delphi 5,
>but we can convert to Delphi 2005 if needed.

If you don't use Oracle object types or the XMLType datatype,
you can try the CoreLab ODAC NET version. This can connect
to Oracle via TCP/IP without the need to install the Oracle client.
And I recommend it 100000%
Used it for years. Never an issue
--
Topp "The N.P."
'97 FLHRP - "Drifter"

Re:Oracle Connectivity

>>Is there a neat way of embedding oracle connectivity into a Delphi app
>>without the need for installing the Oracle client software? We want to
>>distribute this application and it would be preferable if our users
didn't
>>have to install additional Oracle drivers. The app is written in
Delphi 5,
>>but we can convert to Delphi 2005 if needed.
>
>If you don't use Oracle object types or the XMLType datatype,
>you can try the CoreLab ODAC NET version. This can connect
>to Oracle via TCP/IP without the need to install the Oracle client.

And I recommend it 100000%

Used it for years. Never an issue
Well, depends on your usuage - but some things aren't supported
in the NET connectivity set.
--

Martijn Tonies writes:

Well, depends on your usuage - but some things aren't supported
in the NET connectivity set.
Like what?

Re:Oracle Connectivity

>Well, depends on your usuage - but some things aren't supported
>in the NET connectivity set.

Like what?
As I mentioned earlier - the Oracle XMLType, using any object types,
some BLOb operations with parameters (although a recent version
has this extended after I asked for it).
There's a chapter in the Help about this, although - as far as I read -
it didn't mention "xmltype". Probably because, under the hood, this is
an Oracle object type.