About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

2003-12-12 07:42:56 AM
delphi46
Hi,
Whether there is a purchase on ebay of the old version Delphi legal, for
example Professional 3. The seller states, that " This product is a NEVER
INSTALLED - LICENSED opened retail CD-ROM package ".
Whether I can register this version on Borland, and a bit later buy newer
version, for example Delphi 7 as update?
I am sorry for my English.
Thanks.

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Ihor Osov'yak writes:
Whether I can register this version on Borland, and a bit later buy newer
version, for example Delphi 7 as update?
To my knowledge you can. In order to get my Delphi 7 update working, I didn't
even need my D3 - at least not technically. And no, I didn't have to
register D3 either. (Having a legal D3+ is of course a legal requirement,
although not a technical one)
--
Ben

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Rhys Sage writes:
D3 is OK but the Internet components provided with it aren't good
unless you like Active-X libraries.
I'm sure the Indy open source libaries work with D3, or at least the
WinShoes components which Indy are based on.

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Anders Ohlsson (Borland) writes:
That wasn't until Delphi 5 or 6.
Delphi 6 is my guess. I didn't have to do it with D5
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

I Got D3 Pro off a magazine cover disk that was on sale in a junk shop for
50p.
D3 is OK but the Internet components provided with it aren't good unless you
like Active-X libraries.
But the
Rhys

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

To my knowledge you can.

To my knowledge you can as well. Assuming the actual auction is what it
says it is. The
lawyers didn't change the EULA until Delphi 6 or so. Maybe 7. I haven't
checked lately.
In order to get my Delphi 7 update working, I didn't
even need my D3 - at least not technically. And no, I didn't have to
register D3 either.

There was no online registration around Delphi 3 time frame. That wasn't
until Delphi 5 or 6.
Having a legal D3+ is of course a legal requirement,
although not a technical one)

Yes it is, and we do reserve the right to randomly ask you for a photo
copy of the manual,
the CD, or something like that.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures

Rhys Sage writes:
D3 is OK but the Internet components provided with it aren't good
unless you like Active-X libraries.
Synapse works just great with D3...or vice versa.
--
Ben

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Anders,
what exactly changed in the EULA that you're talking about her?
Michael

Michael Messerschmidt writes:
what exactly changed in the EULA that you're talking about her?
The EULA released with 6, IIRC, states you have to have permission
from Borland to transfer your license to someone else.
-Brion

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Anders Ohlsson (Borland) wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:49:41 -0800 ...
Yes it is, and we do reserve the right to randomly ask you for a photo
copy of the manual, the CD, or something like that.
Wow! the WHOLE manual? Can we fax it?
Marc

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

It depends on the edition of D3. I had an early edition that wouldn't work
with Winshoes.
Rhys
<JED>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Rhys Sage writes:

>D3 is OK but the Internet components provided with it aren't good
>unless you like Active-X libraries.

I'm sure the Indy open source libaries work with D3, or at least the
WinShoes components which Indy are based on.

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

what exactly changed in the EULA that you're talking about her?

The legalese regarding transfer of license.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Wow! the WHOLE manual? Can we fax it?

Usually just the front cover, or some other page...
But for you - the whole manual, page by page... <g,d&rlh>
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Anders Ohlsson (Borland) wrote on Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:25:50 -0800 ...
But for you - the whole manual, page by page... <g,d&rlh>
Starting now in expectation of my upgrade to D9
Marc Rohloff
marc rohloff at bigfoot dot com

Re:About buying old version Delphi on eBay...

Thank for the information.
I just have bought on eBay the D4 prof.
It is suitable quite for my current project. In some months I shall do
attempt to buy Delphi 7 or Delphi 8 as upgrade.
Then we shall make final conclusion :-).