cannot perform a ADOConnection.open

I have the following problem: I have a form and on the form a button,
an ADOconnection, a ADOTable, an Datasource and a DBGrid. When pushing
the button the ADOconnection must be established.
When in 'developingmode' I can set the ADOTable active property to
true and, voila, there i see the data in the grid! When debugging
however, (active set to false, adoconnection.connected also) when i
push the button, then the application waits for 30 secs and then
nothing! The application just crashes without any warning/exception.
Anybody any idea???