Wanye ...

No, that is even worse (BDE only properly supports up to MS SQL>6.5 because MS
dropped support for DBLib after that).
Wholly {*word*99} - thats serious. I am currently using TXXXClientDataSets to talk to Interbase in a development mode. When I go production, I thought I'd just switch or "point" to the SQL Server, which would have the exact same name and db struture. This changes the ball game significantly !

Use the ADO components.

I was afraid someone was going to tell me that. I preferred using Borland technology as it was more versatile.
using ADO for MS SQL and stick with dbExpress for Interbase (or optionally
use IBX).
This I will do !
dbExpress for both. Depending on when your target completion>date is, DeXter may be released in time for you

Yup - that has been in the forefront of my mind lately. I am actually going to a technology meeting on Monday, to plead my case for using Borland technologies. These guys, who are not programmers, but have some semblance of computer knowledge, were hired in positions of authority. They are of the school if it is not MS, then it is no good. I am sure you can imaging how much that gets me mad !!!
Also, you should not use TBDEClientDataset (or any TXXXClientDataset). These
have all been deprecated.
This is a shocker. I immediately noticed these NEWer looking technologies in BCB 6. I took it for granted this was the way to go. Aa a matter a fact, the Borland Documentation says that I SHOULD be using BDEClientDataSets for cached updates INSTEAD of the DS->CDS->Proider->Socket.
You are *much* better off using the separate
components - TClientDataset, TDatasetProvider, and the desired TDataset
OK - I will go back to this.
separate components, you could determine at runtime which database is in
use, then connect TDatasetProviders to the correct datasets since it works
with *any* TDataset descendant.

OK - this is where I am heading. Thank you very much for that little tid-bit. That is a very serious thing. I am going to re-architect my system - ouch !
>On a slightly different topic, I have been meaning to ask someone
>about this - I have been watching the videos on the new release of
>CBuilder into the Delphi IDE - VERY COOL ! I have the impression
>that Delphi has significant technological advances the CBuilder does
>not. Is it safe to say that those advances, such as WebForms in
>Delphi, "SHOULD" be available in the new integrated BCB and Delphi
>IDE ?

So this means it will also be able to do everything Delphi can do as far as
Win32 web apps too.
OH MY GOD - that is BEUTIFUL. I will do my best to convince these people on Monday I am not doing anything crazy, and then, its off to buy DeXter - some time soon I hope. I can hardly wait !
It will not do .Net though, currently that is only
available via Delphi.
Ummmmm - I am not sure I should say anything about that.
Wayne, thank you very very much for the info !
Have a nice day,
Nick

Re:Wanye ...

Nick Rambarransingh writes:

>No, that is even worse (BDE only properly supports up to MS SQL>6.5 because MS
>dropped support for DBLib after that).

Wholly {*word*99} - thats serious. I am currently using TXXXClientDataSets to talk to Interbase in a>development mode. When I go production, I thought I'd just switch or "point" to the SQL Server, which>would have the exact same name and db struture. This changes the ball game significantly !
Don't use the TXXXClientDataSets components. None of them were supported after
D6/BCB6. They were deprecated in Delphi 7 and basically ship only as a demo after
that. Do not expect them to be around for long due to problems in them at the
parent level that made them not appropriate to use. Use the standard
TDataset-Provider-ClientDataset combination.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build