delphi 2005 personal features

does anyone have a link to a features matrix for delphi 2005 that includes the persoanl edition?
The only ones I have seen are architect vs enterprise vs professional.
I realize that the professional version is limited but I need to know what features are missing.
So really, I guess my question really is:
What is the difference between delphi2005 professional and personal?
Cheers,
Andy

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

"dingfelder" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
does anyone have a link to a features matrix for delphi 2005 that
includes the persoanl edition?

No personal/foundation is to be released. Something better was hinted at.
--
Iman

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

"dingfelder" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:43780c8c$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
I suspect you mean regarding 2006 personal
Oops. Misread the 5 as a 6.
--
Iman

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

"dingfelder" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What is the difference between delphi2005 professional and personal?
Two major ones:
a: "Personal" cannot be used for any commercial work.
b: "Personal" is pretty much unsupported. AFAIK, None of Allen B's patches
(which are almost mandatory) have been released for D2005 Personal
I wouldn't expect either of these to change. I think it would be good for
Borland to release a D2006 personal, which hopefully will be more stable
than the unpatched D2005, but I can not see any good reason for them to
release fixes for D2005 personal at the moment.
- Roddy

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

Hi!
Roddy Pratt writes:
a: "Personal" cannot be used for any commercial work.
This is _not_ true for Delphi 2005 PE. You are allowed to use this edition
for commercial work if you are an individual.
Greetings from Cologne
Robert

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

"Robert Wachtel" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>a: "Personal" cannot be used for any commercial work.

This is _not_ true for Delphi 2005 PE. You are allowed to use this edition
for commercial work if you are an individual.

Thanks Robert. The license clause (below, in full) seems a bit confusing at
first . I believe it means you can - if you're an individual - develop
applications with a 'commercial purpose', but you can not distribute/sell/give
those to *anybody* else.
- Roddy
2.4 Personal License. The terms of this Section 2.4
are applicable to you only if you have acquired a
Personal License, as defined below, for the Personal
edition of the Product directly from Borland or a
Borland authorized distributor or reseller. Subject to
the terms and conditions of this License, Borland
grants to you, if you are an individual only ("Named
User") a personal, nonexclusive, nontransferable and
limited license to use the Product solely to create,
compile (including byte code compile), test and deploy,
in source or object code form, your own application
programs and other works ("Works") solely for personal
use. You may use the Product or any Works for any
commercial or business purpose ("Commercial Purpose")
provided that you are an Individual. Subject to the
other terms and conditions of this Agreement, you may
distribute your Works to others. If you are an entity,
you may not obtain a Personal License.

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

"Roddy Pratt" <roddy at spam fritter dot com>writes

Thanks Robert. The license clause (below, in full) seems a bit confusing
at first . I believe it means you can - if you're an individual - develop
applications with a 'commercial purpose', but you can't
distribute/sell/give those to *anybody* else.
Having re-re-re-read it, I am now totally confused. One sentence says you can
solely use the product 'solely to create applications solely for personal
use'. Then it says you *can* distribute them to others, subject to the other
t&c's. Just as well I am not a lawyer.
- Roddy

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

I think there are 2 seperate issues:
1. What are you "allowed" to do (i.e. what is the license)
2. What "can" you do (i.e what is the functionality)
Getting back to the original question, issue # 2 is what I am concerned with.
Specifically: what functionality is disabled in the personal version? Or put another way: what is the difference (functionally) between the personal and developer versions?
I am particularly interested in the web services portion (i.e. SOAP) and data aware components.
Has anyone used the personal edition? And/or does anyone know of a URL that talks about the features?
Cheers,
Andy

>Thanks Robert. The license clause (below, in full) seems a bit confusing
>at first . I believe it means you can - if you're an individual - develop
>applications with a 'commercial purpose', but you can't
>distribute/sell/give those to *anybody* else.

Having re-re-re-read it, I am now totally confused. One sentence says you can
solely use the product 'solely to create applications solely for personal
use'. Then it says you *can* distribute them to others, subject to the other
t&c's. Just as well I am not a lawyer.

- Roddy

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

I too am interested in knowing what features the personal edition has.
I can't believe there is no feature matrix out there somewhere.
Can someone from Borland comment?
"dingfelder" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

I think there are 2 seperate issues:

1. What are you "allowed" to do (i.e. what is the license)
2. What "can" you do (i.e what is the functionality)

Getting back to the original question, issue # 2 is what I am concerned with.

Specifically: what functionality is disabled in the personal version? Or put another way: what is the difference (functionally) between the personal and developer versions?

I am particularly interested in the web services portion (i.e. SOAP) and data aware components.

Has anyone used the personal edition? And/or does anyone know of a URL that talks about the features?

Cheers,

Andy

"Roddy Pratt" <roddy at spam fritter dot com>writes:
>"Roddy Pratt" <roddy at spam fritter dot com>writes
>>
>>Thanks Robert. The license clause (below, in full) seems a bit confusing
>>at first . I believe it means you can - if you're an individual - develop
>>applications with a 'commercial purpose', but you can't
>>distribute/sell/give those to *anybody* else.
>
>Having re-re-re-read it, I am now totally confused. One sentence says you can
>solely use the product 'solely to create applications solely for personal
>use'. Then it says you *can* distribute them to others, subject to the other
>t&c's. Just as well I am not a lawyer.
>
>- Roddy

Re:delphi 2005 personal features

The question was asking about delphi 2005 personal vs delphi 2005 professional
(i.e what features is the personal edition lacking)
I would rather use 2006 but it seems that 2006 personal is not available
Cheers,
Andy
(PS: It was listed in the subject line)
"Brad White" <bwhite at inebraska.com>writes:
"delphi dude" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>I too am interested in knowing what features the personal edition has.
>
>I can't believe there is no feature matrix out there somewhere.

Exactly what personal version are you asking about?

--
Brad.

dingfelder writes:
I would rather use 2006 but it seems that 2006 personal is not
available
No, but they have made suggestions of something similar but not
personal coming out to replace that kinda of area of market
Sadly, no one knows what yet!
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings