How to write a de{*word*81}?

2003-11-26 07:50:31 PM
delphi18
Does anybody have some links or material on how to write a de{*word*81} for
Win32?
--
Best regards,
Alessandro Federici

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

Alessandro Federici writes:
Does anybody have some links or material on how to write a de{*word*81} for
Win32?
Depends on the level of de{*word*81}. Making something like TD32 is not
hard at all (afair TD32 was written by two people) and can be
accomplished with very limited resources (<g>). You will find a number
of tutorials on hacker sites that describe how to make launchers,
applications that launch some other applciation, then do in-memory
patching and let the cracked application continue.
I think the best idea would be to contact MemProof author or search for
authors of W32DASM (this is disassembler with built-in debugging
functions) at XXXX@XXXXX.COM (this is all I can see in documentation).
BTW in MSDN you will find a bunch of topics named "creating a basic
de{*word*81}". After you read them, you will not need other documentation
(at the beginning at least).
In my old days I made something similar, but since then I have lost most
of old source code and links.
--
Eugene Mayevski
EldoS Corp., CTO

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

"Alessandro Federici" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Does anybody have some links or material on how to write a de{*word*81} for
Win32?

Try "Debugging Applications" by John Robbins (MS Press).

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

Hello Alessandro Federici,
Does anybody have some links or material on how to write a de{*word*81} for
Win32?
I simply used MSDN ->Microsoft Debug API
--
Dzmitry Piatrushenia
ICQ #48665143

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

Alessandro,
Paul's advice to get the John Robbins book is good though much of it is
quite VC++/VS-centric. For a direct approach, look up CreateProcess in the
API help, look for the DEBUG_PROCESS flag in the Parameters section and
follow the links from there to WaitForDebugEvent, DEBUG_EVENT, and so on.
Getting off the ground isn't too difficult, but I disagree with Eugene that
emulating TD32 is trivial. Handling things like local symbols and source
code synchronization is no walk in the park.
What are you trying to accomplish with this?
- Per
"Alessandro Federici" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Does anybody have some links or material on how to write a de{*word*81} for
Win32?

--
Best regards,
Alessandro Federici

RemObjects Software, Inc.
www.remobjects.com

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

Thank you all!
Really appreciated.

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

"Per Larsen" <perlATturbopowerDOTcom>writes
[..]
What are you trying to accomplish with this?
R&D
Nothing concrete at this point, just a few ideas.

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

Per Larsen writes:
Getting off the ground isn't too difficult, but I disagree with Eugene that
emulating TD32 is trivial. Handling things like local symbols and source
code synchronization is no walk in the park.
I was talking about the same level as TD32, opposed to SoftIce (which is
driver). Of course, handling source code and symbols is more
sophisticated issue. However also not a superjob.
--
Eugene Mayevski
EldoS Corp., CTO
Security and networking solutions
www.eldos.com

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

"Eugene Mayevski [SecureBlackbox]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[..]
I was talking about the same level as TD32, opposed to SoftIce (which is
driver). Of course, handling source code and symbols is more
sophisticated issue. However also not a superjob.
Well, I need that actually. Any additional pointers?

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

Alessandro Federici writes:
>I was talking about the same level as TD32, opposed to SoftIce (which is
>driver). Of course, handling source code and symbols is more
>sophisticated issue. However also not a superjob.
Well, I need that actually. Any additional pointers?
1) Talk to MemProof author -- he did this before (MemProof analyses
local symbols).
2) Request documentation for TD32 symbol table from Borland. Maybe they
will give it. I think that Borland probably will give you more useful
information in this case. I can see no reason for them to not give you
this information.
3) get some pascal parser (you will need it to extract symbols from
source code). Sources of code beautifier like DelFormat should be
enough, I think.
--
Eugene Mayevski
EldoS Corp., CTO
Security and networking solutions
www.eldos.com

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

"Eugene Mayevski [SecureBlackbox]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
2) Request documentation for TD32 symbol table from Borland.
No need. Borland put out a DLL about 5 years ago, which can read the format.
It's on CodeCentral (somewhere), with (some) documentation.
3) get some pascal parser (you will need it to extract symbols from
source code).
No need. That information is in the TDS image as well. Matching it up with
what's actually on stack is still not trivial, but, though I could be wrong
(I haven't had a chance to check this) I am under the impression that the
JEDI library contains some support for this - used in their error logging
component. Perhaps one of the JEDI knights will jump in and confirm or
deny... Actually, I think quite a lot of the not-so-trivial background
functionality (e.g. PE a parser) you will need for something like this can be
found in the JEDI libraries.
- Per

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, Alessandro Federici
<alef@remobjects[remove-this].com>writes
<3fc4fd8a$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
"Per Larsen" <perlATturbopowerDOTcom>writes
[..]
>What are you trying to accomplish with this?

R&D
Nothing concrete at this point, just a few ideas.

You are awfully busy these days!
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>writes
You are awfully busy these days!
You have no idea how much.

Re:How to write a de{*word*81}?

>You are awfully busy these days!

You have no idea how much.

Not much enough as you're still posting here a lot <g>
Alex

<3fc69715$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
>You are awfully busy these days!

You have no idea how much.