Preventing user from killing process under Win95/98

Hi,

Bit of background first - I haven't touched Delphi for years, but am
considering it for my next project. With that in mind...

I'd just like to know if anyone has any tips on the above. Is it possible to
prevent Ctrl-Alt-Del-EndTask from shutting my program down, or to spawn a
new copy of the program when the old one is killed? I'm thinking along the
lines of something within onClose(), but am not 100% sure.

Thanks,

- 5parrow

Re:Preventing user from killing process under Win95/98

There is little or nothing that you can do with Win9x.  You do get a Windows
message in response to end-task but the overall implementation is not
nearly as strong as the NT-based systems are.
C-H wrote:
> Hi,

> Bit of background first - I haven't touched Delphi for years, but am
> considering it for my next project. With that in mind...

> I'd just like to know if anyone has any tips on the above. Is it possible
> to prevent Ctrl-Alt-Del-EndTask from shutting my program down, or to spawn
> a new copy of the program when the old one is killed? I'm thinking along
> the lines of something within onClose(), but am not 100% sure.

Re:Preventing user from killing process under Win95/98

i think the best best is to run a services/Com control in the shell and use
something like a SetWindowsHookEx etc...
and restart the app when it terminates ..
  or you could simply pull a little file out of the Resource ,. start it when
your app terminates.
have it monitor for your app , when its gone.., then restart your app and kill
the little resource app.
its an old back yard trick i use for updating an APP i have with out forcing the
user to restart.
C-H wrote:
> Hi,

> Bit of background first - I haven't touched Delphi for years, but am
> considering it for my next project. With that in mind...

> I'd just like to know if anyone has any tips on the above. Is it possible to
> prevent Ctrl-Alt-Del-EndTask from shutting my program down, or to spawn a
> new copy of the program when the old one is killed? I'm thinking along the
> lines of something within onClose(), but am not 100% sure.

> Thanks,

> - 5parrow

Re:Preventing user from killing process under Win95/98

What possible legitimate purpose could you have for such a feature?

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 13:01:26 +0800, C-H <sparrowh...@singmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,

>Bit of background first - I haven't touched Delphi for years, but am
>considering it for my next project. With that in mind...

>I'd just like to know if anyone has any tips on the above. Is it possible to
>prevent Ctrl-Alt-Del-EndTask from shutting my program down, or to spawn a
>new copy of the program when the old one is killed? I'm thinking along the
>lines of something within onClose(), but am not 100% sure.

>Thanks,

>- 5parrow

Re:Preventing user from killing process under Win95/98

You can hide an App from the Task List

  pid := GetCurrentProcessId() ;
  regserv := RegisterServiceProcess(pid, RSP_SIMPLE_SERVICE) ;

Joe Smith wrote:
> What possible legitimate purpose could you have for such a feature?

Installing a "security system lite" for a friend who doesn't want to spring
for a full-blown OS upgrade. Yes, I'm fully aware it sounds like reinventing
the wheel...

- 5parrow

Re:Preventing user from killing process under Win95/98

It is the sort of feature that someone writing various sorts of
nuisance or malicious code might want to include.  I hope that it is
impossible.

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:10:12 +0800, C-H <sparrowh...@singmail.com>
wrote:

>Joe Smith wrote:
>> What possible legitimate purpose could you have for such a feature?

>Installing a "security system lite" for a friend who doesn't want to spring
>for a full-blown OS upgrade. Yes, I'm fully aware it sounds like reinventing
>the wheel...

>- 5parrow

Re:Preventing user from killing process under Win95/98

Well i know what is possible..
 and that is the act of speaking out
towards coder's that have nothing
better to do than write code to
put people in a state of mind not
fit to be out in public..
  Can't People use their talents
for something better ?
 (Hint);
Joe Smith wrote:
> It is the sort of feature that someone writing various sorts of
> nuisance or malicious code might want to include.  I hope that it is
> impossible.

> On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:10:12 +0800, C-H <sparrowh...@singmail.com>
> wrote:

> >Joe Smith wrote:
> >> What possible legitimate purpose could you have for such a feature?

> >Installing a "security system lite" for a friend who doesn't want to spring
> >for a full-blown OS upgrade. Yes, I'm fully aware it sounds like reinventing
> >the wheel...

> >- 5parrow

Other Threads