PARADOX database on CD. Is it possible?

I have an application that works with Paradox database. I want to put the
database to CD. I tried and I got an error with pdoxsrs.net file. I made a
session in my application and set NETFILEDIR='C:\TMP' and
PRIVATEDIR='C:\TMP' (the directory exists), but it doesn't help.
Any ideas how to put Paradox tables to CD?
I will be very thankful.

Lev Komarov

Re:PARADOX database on CD. Is it possible?

From the BDE FAQ on Borland's web site
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti/TI203B.html :

Q:   How do I access tables in a read-only directory (such as a table on a
CD-ROM)?

A:   A directory lock needs to be placed within the directory containing the
table to prevent the BDE from attempting to create a lock file (.LCK) in
that directory. An example of this is included in the SNIPIT sample
application, in the file RDOLOCK.C.

--
Dave White
SpectraChrom Software

Lev Komarov <komo...@shalon.k-gat.k12.il> wrote in message

> I have an application that works with Paradox database. I want to put the
> database to CD. I tried and I got an error with pdoxsrs.net file. I made a
> session in my application and set NETFILEDIR='C:\TMP' and
> PRIVATEDIR='C:\TMP' (the directory exists), but it doesn't help.
> Any ideas how to put Paradox tables to CD?
> I will be very thankful.

> Lev Komarov

Re:PARADOX database on CD. Is it possible?

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:36:52 +0200, "Lev Komarov"

<komo...@shalon.k-gat.k12.il> wrote:
>I have an application that works with Paradox database. I want to put the
>database to CD. I tried and I got an error with pdoxsrs.net file. I made a
>session in my application and set NETFILEDIR='C:\TMP' and
>PRIVATEDIR='C:\TMP' (the directory exists), but it doesn't help.
>Any ideas how to put Paradox tables to CD?
>I will be very thankful.

>Lev Komarov

In order to access any paradox table it is necessary to have a valid
lock file in the directory containing those tables. Hence to gain
access to a table on a readonly device you have to be able to first
write a pdoxusr.lck / paradox.lck file to that directory indicating
that you require read only access. In practice this just means that
you need to write an apropriate pair of lock files to the directory
when you create the CD. I seem to recall that there were some suitable
examples on the Borland web site, if there aren't or they've moved
there web site around again then I have some where some code which
generates the files required and could email it to you.

Jarvis N. Brand
jbr...@clara.net (personal)
J.Br...@dslcomms.co.uk (business)

Re:PARADOX database on CD. Is it possible?

Note:  You will also have to set the Session.PriviteDir to a legal
read/write target (c:\temp or some such).

Lev Komarov <komo...@shalon.k-gat.k12.il> wrote in message

> I have an application that works with Paradox database. I want to put the
> database to CD. I tried and I got an error with pdoxsrs.net file. I made a
> session in my application and set NETFILEDIR='C:\TMP' and
> PRIVATEDIR='C:\TMP' (the directory exists), but it doesn't help.
> Any ideas how to put Paradox tables to CD?
> I will be very thankful.

> Lev Komarov

Other Threads