Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Ok folks, here is your big chance.

If you have any features that you are dying to see in the next release of
Delphi/ADOExpress now is the time to speak up.  Please post any requests for new
features in a reply to this message.

Of course, I can't promise that your request will make it into the product (that
goes without saying, right?), but the responses will be helpful for determining
the final feature set.

If you would, please keep this thread relatively clean.  By that I mean please
don't tangent off into side discussions on a particular feature request after it
is made.  If there is something you want to discuss further with the message
poster, please start a new thread.  "Me Too" responses are ok because they help
indicate the interest level, but once there are 4 or 5 there isn't any need to
chime in further.

Ok, those are the ground rules.  Remember to follow newsgroup etiquette, and no
absolutely no blows below the belt!

Mark

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Wish List:

1.) Incorporate component wrappers for ADOX, so that we can create Access
databases / tables / relationships and set their properties without hassle.

2.) Make it possible that we can store images in Access Blob / LongBinary
Fields. So far any image transferred from a Delphi application to an Access
Blob field cannot be opened as an image from within Access.

--
Thomas Glden
Geologist

Bayerisches Geologisches Landesamt
He?stra?e 128
80797 Mnchen
Germany

E-mail:    Thomas.Guel...@gla.bayern.de

"Pierre du Parte" <pie...@finalfiler.com> wrote in message

> > 2.) Make it possible that we can store images in Access Blob /
LongBinary
> > Fields. So far any image transferred from a Delphi application to an
> Access
> > Blob field cannot be opened as an image from within Access.

>  Me three

Me four.

It would be nice if at least BMPs and JPGs were supported
by DBImage.  All registered filetypes would be great.

--
efg

Overland Park, KS  USA

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Mark,

Sure I would like to see native ADOX and JRO comps. Yeah, Access OLE fields
are also wanted. Also: I would like to see an SQL Builder supporting ADO.

Regards,
Rado

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Mark,

1) Wrap up the ADOX in a set of components. Maybe JOR as well?
2) TADOQuery - how about a SQLFilter property- it would read/write the WHERE
clause and simplify updating the WHERE clause.
3) As above for SQLSortFields and SQLHaving

Examples

    with ADOQuery1 do
    begin
        SQLFilter = 'Surname LIKE  ' + #39 + 'Sm*' + #39;
        SQLSortFields := 'Surname, FirstName ASC';

Pierre du Part
Final Filer Software
349 Worrigee Road
Worrigee NSW
Australia 2540
http://www.finalfiler.com
Phone 61 2 44220442 (Voice and fax)
          0413 483 066 (mobile)

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

> 2.) Make it possible that we can store images in Access Blob / LongBinary
> Fields. So far any image transferred from a Delphi application to an
Access
> Blob field cannot be opened as an image from within Access.

 Me three
Pierre

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

> 1) Wrap up the ADOX in a set of components. Maybe >>JOR as well?

Silly bunt, me! JRO!

Pierre

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

All of the previous, and also:
- easier access to linked tables in a database (for example, in the IDE,
their names do not show in the list of TableName of the TADOTable, and also
it took me a lot of time to find how to access their specific properties,
such as Link DataSource and Remote Table Name);
- for beginners like me, more details and examples in the online help (for
example, I found nothing about how to read Properties).
Thrse

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

> This was to be my request, Mark.  I would really love to see a SQL Builder

Qbuilder no good?

Pierre

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Full support of Decision Cube

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Possibility to edit UDL-Files from code.

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Much more online-help.

It is so difficult to find the right places on www.microsoft.com.
At least some useful links on the community site would be good.
e.G Links to provider specific information.

--
Karlheinz Spaeth

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

I don't know if this is far fetched, but here goes:

An "ADOConnection.onInvalidConnection" event.

I realise that the code to mimic this is straight forward. Nevertheless, it
would make life a lot easier.

Pierre

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Good support for ISO-Date

"Mark Edington (Borland)" <meding...@nolunchmeat.com> wrote in message

> Ok folks, here is your big chance.

> If you have any features that you are dying to see in the next release of
> Delphi/ADOExpress now is the time to speak up.  Please post any requests
for new
> features in a reply to this message.

> Of course, I can't promise that your request will make it into the product
(that
> goes without saying, right?), but the responses will be helpful for
determining
> the final feature set.

> If you would, please keep this thread relatively clean.  By that I mean
please
> don't tangent off into side discussions on a particular feature request
after it
> is made.  If there is something you want to discuss further with the
message
> poster, please start a new thread.  "Me Too" responses are ok because they
help
> indicate the interest level, but once there are 4 or 5 there isn't any
need to
> chime in further.

> Ok, those are the ground rules.  Remember to follow newsgroup etiquette,
and no
> absolutely no blows below the belt!

> Mark

Re:Wanted: ADO Express Feature Requests

Hi Mark.

What a good initiative!.

Basically I think the ADOExpress is a pretty good job.

However, it seems to be geared towards the desktop developers.

I do not develop desktop systems, so it is kind of irritating that:

* The default properties for Query is clientside,keyset,optimistic as
opposite to the MS-default: Serverside,forwardonly,readonly.
* Whenever you change the SQL-property, it tries to open the connection, and
LEAVES it open, so I would be happy, if I had a 'TADOServerQuery', which
does not open anything in the IDE.

So my basic wish is to derive 2 sets of components, one for the 'desktop
people', and one for the 'server people'.
And of course to minimize the VCL-overhead for use in multithreaded servers,
meaning, that I personally don't use events in a thread.

As you can see, it is not a critical issue, but it is a lot of work to
remember to redefine the properties each time you span a new thread with a
Query in it.

Well, it may make you happy to know, that I have used the ADOExpress
succesfully in upgrading a 4-tier Web-solution ( Instead of BDE ). Once I
got hold of the issues, it was not so hard to migrate the application.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Regards
Stig Johansen - s...@w3data.dk

Mark Edington (Borland) <meding...@nolunchmeat.com> wrote in message

> Ok folks, here is your big chance.

> If you have any features that you are dying to see in the next release of
> Delphi/ADOExpress now is the time to speak up.  Please post any requests
for new
> features in a reply to this message.

> Of course, I can't promise that your request will make it into the product
(that
> goes without saying, right?), but the responses will be helpful for
determining
> the final feature set.

> If you would, please keep this thread relatively clean.  By that I mean
please
> don't tangent off into side discussions on a particular feature request
after it
> is made.  If there is something you want to discuss further with the
message
> poster, please start a new thread.  "Me Too" responses are ok because they
help
> indicate the interest level, but once there are 4 or 5 there isn't any
need to
> chime in further.

> Ok, those are the ground rules.  Remember to follow newsgroup etiquette,
and no
> absolutely no blows below the belt!

> Mark

Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4]