updating a progress bar based on the time taken by a query to perform some action

hi guys i have a lengthy operation that imports allot of records into a
table, what i would like is to give the user some visual feedback on the
length of this operation, preferably using a progress bar or a gauge
component.
Thanx in advance

Re:updating a progress bar based on the time taken by a query to perform some action

If you know how far you have to got, a progress bar is a natural.  I've
noticed that Norton and a few other commercial apps just run the progrss bar
from 1 to some max,  updating every second and start over when bar  progress
reaches max.  Kind of like an animated hourglass cursor just to keep the
user calm.  I suppose you could trigger it with a TTimer or by just saving
and checking time since last progress update in the loop.
________________________
Gary
http://www.delphiforfun.org
_________________________

"Nitesh Singh" <nit...@healthbridge.co.za> wrote in message

> hi guys i have a lengthy operation that imports allot of records into a
> table, what i would like is to give the user some visual feedback on the
> length of this operation, preferably using a progress bar or a gauge
> component.
> Thanx in advance

Re:updating a progress bar based on the time taken by a query to perform some action

Hi Gary thanx allot for your idea, I think that would be a good solution,
however is it possible to calculate the time of a query ?

"Gary Darby" <garydn...@delphiforfun.com> wrote in message

> If you know how far you have to got, a progress bar is a natural.  I've
> noticed that Norton and a few other commercial apps just run the progrss
bar
> from 1 to some max,  updating every second and start over when bar
progress
> reaches max.  Kind of like an animated hourglass cursor just to keep the
> user calm.  I suppose you could trigger it with a TTimer or by just saving
> and checking time since last progress update in the loop.
> ________________________
> Gary
> http://www.delphiforfun.org

> "Nitesh Singh" <nit...@healthbridge.co.za> wrote in message
> > hi guys i have a lengthy operation that imports allot of records into a
> > table, what i would like is to give the user some visual feedback on the
> > length of this operation, preferably using a progress bar or a gauge
> > component.
> > Thanx in advance

Other Threads