Which cheap, reliable database to use with Delphi?

Hello, I am in the process of assessing data bases to use with Delphi (4.0
at this stage but may move to 6.0).  The data base is to hold text, memos,
and BLOBS (jpegs, gifs).  It will be moderate size - 5-7 tables some up to
10,000 rows long.  It's for a application I am developing at home but hope
to release as an app if things work out well.

Could anyone suggest a database that would be suitable for this project
given that the initial capital outlay would need to be small and the
royalties are not too hefty (if there are any)?  Is dBase 2000 a good bet?
What about Access, although it is more expensive?  MySQL?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thank you.

Ian Edmond.

Re:Which cheap, reliable database to use with Delphi?

"Jane Grofski" <willyo...@ourwedding.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hello, I am in the process of assessing data bases to use with Delphi (4.0
> at this stage but may move to 6.0).  The data base is to hold text, memos,
> and BLOBS (jpegs, gifs).  It will be moderate size - 5-7 tables some up to
> 10,000 rows long.  It's for a application I am developing at home but hope
> to release as an app if things work out well.

> Could anyone suggest a database that would be suitable for this project
> given that the initial capital outlay would need to be small and the
> royalties are not too hefty (if there are any)?  Is dBase 2000 a good bet?
> What about Access, although it is more expensive?  MySQL?

DBISAM has a small footprint and is highly praised, www.elevatesoft.com.
They have the best on-line support I've ever seen. For a comprehensive list
of alternatives http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html.

Re:Which cheap, reliable database to use with Delphi?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:22:58 -0400, "Bruce Roberts"

<b...@bounceitattcanada.xnet> wrote:

>"Jane Grofski" <willyo...@ourwedding.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hello, I am in the process of assessing data bases to use with Delphi (4.0
>> at this stage but may move to 6.0).  The data base is to hold text, memos,
>> and BLOBS (jpegs, gifs).  It will be moderate size - 5-7 tables some up to
>> 10,000 rows long.  It's for a application I am developing at home but hope
>> to release as an app if things work out well.

>> Could anyone suggest a database that would be suitable for this project
>> given that the initial capital outlay would need to be small and the
>> royalties are not too hefty (if there are any)?  Is dBase 2000 a good bet?
>> What about Access, although it is more expensive?  MySQL?

>DBISAM has a small footprint and is highly praised, www.elevatesoft.com.
>They have the best on-line support I've ever seen. For a comprehensive list
>of alternatives http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html.

AFAIK, Delphi 6 is going to have a new DB included. Much smaller and
easier to use than the BDE/Paradox.
Dan

Dan Brennand
CMDC systems, inc.
Configuration Management and Document Control:
visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[SPAM block: change at to @ in my e-mail address]

Re:Which cheap, reliable database to use with Delphi?

You wouldn't happen to know where to find some more information on this new
DB would you?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
?raig ?eynolds

Craig Reynolds (reynoldscra...@hotmail.com) wrote:

: You wouldn't happen to know where to find some more information on this new
: DB would you?

It's called dbExpress, and there's an article or two at
http://www.delphizine.com/ as well as information at http://www.borland.com/
So far no drivers have been written for Paradox or dBASE tables.
--
Rick Carter
carte...@email.uc.edu

Other Threads