Board index » delphi » IB 5.6 Install problems with XP Home

IB 5.6 Install problems with XP Home

I have been trying to set up interbase 5.6 as a server and client on XP Home
OS.  I was told that you must log on as Username "Administrator" to get it
to install correctly but that is simply not possible (or at least I don't
know how due to the fact that when installing XPHome I am not given the
option to set the password and can not seem to guess it)  I am logged on as
a User with administrative privileges however I feel like there is something
else needed.

The errors show as follows.
Attempting to go to Server Manager results in an error,
"The procedure entry point isc_query_service could not be located in the
dynamic link libary gds32.dll"

Attempting to use IB Win ISQL, and logging in as a user defined in the
database results in an error code 902 "Your user name and password are not
defined. Ask your database administrator to set up an InterBase login."

Attempting to use IB Win ISQL, and logging in as a user defined in the
database results in several error codes 901 "connection lost to database"

Can I modify registry entries to get the gds32.dll to be correctly accessed?
Is this just an incompatibility with XP Home?   Somebody please help.

    Darrell

 

Re:IB 5.6 Install problems with XP Home


Keep in mind that IB5.6 most likely (or definitely) was not tested on XP and
it's most likely (or definitely) not certified either.  The Admin password
is set during install so if someone else set this up or was bought from a
retailer, try a blank password.  If you are logged in as an account with
Admin privileges, you should be able to change the Administrator account
password to what you want.

Erik

Quote
"Darrell Kempker" <dkemp...@telocity.com> wrote in message

news:3cb4760f$1_2@dnews...
Quote
> I have been trying to set up interbase 5.6 as a server and client on XP
Home
> OS.  I was told that you must log on as Username "Administrator" to get it
> to install correctly but that is simply not possible (or at least I don't
> know how due to the fact that when installing XPHome I am not given the
> option to set the password and can not seem to guess it)  I am logged on
as
> a User with administrative privileges however I feel like there is
something
> else needed.

> The errors show as follows.
> Attempting to go to Server Manager results in an error,
> "The procedure entry point isc_query_service could not be located in the
> dynamic link libary gds32.dll"

> Attempting to use IB Win ISQL, and logging in as a user defined in the
> database results in an error code 902 "Your user name and password are not
> defined. Ask your database administrator to set up an InterBase login."

> Attempting to use IB Win ISQL, and logging in as a user defined in the
> database results in several error codes 901 "connection lost to database"

> Can I modify registry entries to get the gds32.dll to be correctly
accessed?
> Is this just an incompatibility with XP Home?   Somebody please help.

>     Darrell

Re:IB 5.6 Install problems with XP Home


As it turns out in Windows XP Home,
"The Administrator account is only visible on the welcome screen when no
other user accounts exist (except the guest account) or when you start the
computer in Safe Mode.  "
This little note is displayed if you can ever get to the Administrative
account.  And even though there was no password associated with the account
I could not logon to it from the ctrl-alt-del twice screen.

Now I do not yet know if that will take care of my 5.6 install problem, but
at least that solved part one of the issue.

Still fishing for expert advice....

Quote
"Erik Hansen" <rob.han...@bestsoftware.com> wrote in message

news:3cb495b2$1_2@dnews...
Quote
> Keep in mind that IB5.6 most likely (or definitely) was not tested on XP
and
> it's most likely (or definitely) not certified either.  The Admin password
> is set during install so if someone else set this up or was bought from a
> retailer, try a blank password.  If you are logged in as an account with
> Admin privileges, you should be able to change the Administrator account
> password to what you want.

> Erik

> "Darrell Kempker" <dkemp...@telocity.com> wrote in message
> news:3cb4760f$1_2@dnews...
> > I have been trying to set up interbase 5.6 as a server and client on XP
> Home
> > OS.  I was told that you must log on as Username "Administrator" to get
it
> > to install correctly but that is simply not possible (or at least I
don't
> > know how due to the fact that when installing XPHome I am not given the
> > option to set the password and can not seem to guess it)  I am logged on
> as
> > a User with administrative privileges however I feel like there is
> something
> > else needed.

> > The errors show as follows.
> > Attempting to go to Server Manager results in an error,
> > "The procedure entry point isc_query_service could not be located in the
> > dynamic link libary gds32.dll"

> > Attempting to use IB Win ISQL, and logging in as a user defined in the
> > database results in an error code 902 "Your user name and password are
not
> > defined. Ask your database administrator to set up an InterBase login."

> > Attempting to use IB Win ISQL, and logging in as a user defined in the
> > database results in several error codes 901 "connection lost to
database"

> > Can I modify registry entries to get the gds32.dll to be correctly
> accessed?
> > Is this just an incompatibility with XP Home?   Somebody please help.

> >     Darrell

Re:IB 5.6 Install problems with XP Home


Quote
> "The procedure entry point isc_query_service could not be located in
the
> dynamic link libary gds32.dll"

That usually means you have on out of date gds32.dll.  I'd uninstall
InterBase and then search for any versions of gds32.dll on your system
and delete them and then reinstall InterBase.

David R.

Re:IB 5.6 Install problems with XP Home


Quote
>> "The procedure entry point isc_query_service could not be located in

the dynamic link libary gds32.dll"

Quote
> That usually means you have on out of date gds32.dll.  I'd uninstall

InterBase and then search for any versions of gds32.dll on your system
and delete them and then reinstall InterBase.

Just to elaborate a bit more, it sounds like you have the IB 6 client
(gds32.dll) on your system with the 5.6 server.

David R.

Other Threads