Using registry for network applications

We are developing network applications and are porting them from D1 to
D3. In D1 we used ini-files on the application's directory to save
program settings.

In the 32-bit world this isn't the 'right' thing to do. You should use
the registry for this purpose. But my problem now is that the registry
(as I understand) resides on each PC in the network only.

How can I have general settings for our program in the registry (another
registry for the network? This should work on both Novell and NT
networks)? So when a user maintains the settings they are reflected on
all the other PCs. Is there a common practice for this?

I have tried to look it up in some Delphi books, but in general they
only tell me how to read from and write to the registry.

Thanks in advance

Svein Dybvik
O.A.Halvari AS
E-mail: halv...@sn.no

Re:Using registry for network applications

In article <33F7F590.2...@sn.no>, someone calling themselves halv...@sn.no wrote:

>We are developing network applications and are porting them from D1 to
>D3. In D1 we used ini-files on the application's directory to save
>program settings.

>In the 32-bit world this isn't the 'right' thing to do. You should use
>the registry for this purpose. But my problem now is that the registry
>(as I understand) resides on each PC in the network only.

>How can I have general settings for our program in the registry (another
>registry for the network? This should work on both Novell and NT
>networks)? So when a user maintains the settings they are reflected on
>all the other PCs. Is there a common practice for this?

Windows95 actually takes care of this. On a NetWare 4.x network
like ours, for example, it creates a copy of your registry in your
network home directory.

It also creates copies of your DESKTOP, START MENU, RECENT, NETHOOD
and a few other directories.

I believe that this works on other types of nets as well. It's
important to remember that "your own personal registry" is everything
stored under "HKEY_CURRENTUSER", so always write user-specific stuff
under there.

Cheers,

|  \/  |/ / |_| |__  The .sig wears a ring of polymorph! --More--
|      ' /| |_| | /  The .login hits! The .cshrc bites!
| |  |_/  \_| | /    "Say . . . That's a nice bike!" -- The T1000
=\|===========|/==========- The Mabster:  mhamil...@bunge.com.au -==

Other Threads