Reading locked paradox (db) files

        I have a commercial programme that uses the paradox (.db) format and the BDE
for its data.  When this package, designed for real-time data collection, is not in use, I have
no problem reading the database files that it maintains.  However, when this other software
is running, I cannot access the relevant databases because this programme locks the
whole file, not just the record it is currently appending.

        Basically, I need to be able to read the database which is maintained real-time by the
commercial software.  I do no writing to this database, and only need read the data at fixed
intervals based on a delphi timer component (say every 12 seconds).  Furthermore, both the
commercial software and my own software will be run on the same machine, so no networking
is involved.

        Question: how can I work around the file locking?

        I would very much appreciate a response, either in this newsgroup (use the
phrase "reading locked db files" so the search engine can find your reply).

        Thanks again,

                Jeff

Re:Reading locked paradox (db) files

You cannot do anything yourself if the "commercial program" is locking
the file.

Since both programs must coexist -- Talk to the author of the
"commerical program" !!!

Garry Kernan

Jeffrey O. Katz wrote:

>         I have a commercial programme that uses the paradox (.db) format and the BDE
> for its data.  When this package, designed for real-time data collection, is not in use, I have
> no problem reading the database files that it maintains.  However, when this other software
> is running, I cannot access the relevant databases because this programme locks the
> whole file, not just the record it is currently appending.

>         Basically, I need to be able to read the database which is maintained real-time by the
> commercial software.  I do no writing to this database, and only need read the data at fixed
> intervals based on a delphi timer component (say every 12 seconds).  Furthermore, both the
> commercial software and my own software will be run on the same machine, so no networking
> is involved.

>         Question: how can I work around the file locking?

>         I would very much appreciate a response, either in this newsgroup (use the
> phrase "reading locked db files" so the search engine can find your reply).

>         Thanks again,

>                 Jeff

Other Threads