Install Shield + BDE problem, Help

I'm developing data oriented app in D3 c/s. When I try to install program on
another computer (without BDE) en error pops up. Installation program is
created with I Shield Express (the one with D3). When I try to do test run
on my machine everything goes ok, but on other user machine it says:

"Merging the configuration file faild c:\Program
Files\Borland\Common\IDAPI32.CNF"

Of course afther this BDE doesnt work "Err 3 Initialization failed"

In ISExpress i have tried both full bde and partial BDE install (only
Paradox tables, no SQL). Please help it's very important for me.

Re:Install Shield + BDE problem, Help

In article <6qon6q$...@as041.tel.hr>,
  "Zarko Gajic" <gza...@sf.hr> wrote:
> I'm developing data oriented app in D3 c/s. When I try to install program on
> another computer (without BDE) en error pops up. Installation program is
> created with I Shield Express (the one with D3). When I try to do test run
> on my machine everything goes ok, but on other user machine it says:

> "Merging the configuration file faild c:\Program
> Files\Borland\Common\IDAPI32.CNF"

> Of course afther this BDE doesnt work "Err 3 Initialization failed"

> In ISExpress i have tried both full bde and partial BDE install (only
> Paradox tables, no SQL). Please help it's very important for me.

Hi!
I hope this be useful.
It is from the FAQ at www.installshield.com
Bye,
          Luis Rico
PRB: During BDE Installation, the Error Message "Merging the Configuration
File has Failed" is Received
Document ID: Q100670
This article applies to the following:
Product(s): InstallShield Express 2, InstallShield Express Professional,
InstallShield Express Custom Edition for Borland Delphi 2.0, InstallShield
Express Custom Edition for Borland C++ 5.x, InstallShield Express Custom
Edition for Borland Paradox 7.0
Last Revised On: 2/18/1998
Summary
During BDE installation, the error message "Merging the configuration file has
failed" is received
Discussion

InstallShield Express includes with your BDE setup a configuration file called
Idapi32.cnf. (For a 16-bit setup, this file is named Idapi.cnf.) During
installation, InstallShield Express copies this file to a temporary location,
and then adds to it the settings you chose in the BDE Alias dialogs. If there
exists no BDE on the target system, then InstallShield Express simply saves
the Idapi32.cnf file to the default BDE directory as Idapi32.cfg. However, if
the target machine already has BDE on it (and so has a preexisting Idapi32.cfg
file), InstallShield Express then calls the BDE Merge function to merge the
Idapi32.cnf file with the existing Idapi32.cfg file, thereby adding your
setup's BDE aliases and settings to those already on the target system.

The message "Merging the configuration file has failed" may be displayed
during BDE setup for several possible reasons:

1. The target machine's pre-existing Idapi32.cfg file is set to read-only or
is in any other way inaccessible. This will cause BDE's Merge function to
fail. InstallShield Express finds the existing IDAPI configuration file by
reading its current location from the CONFIGFILE01 value data under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\Database Engine key in the target
machine's registry (32-bit) or from the [IDAPI] section of the system's
Win.ini file (16-bit). Please make sure that the target system's IDAPI
configuration file is located under the path specified in this value data, and
that is not set to read-only or in any other way inaccessible during the
installation.

2. The target machine's BDE Configuration program Bdecfg32.exe file (for a
16-bit system, the Bdecfg.exe file) is running during installation. This
program will not allow a configuration file to be merged with a file that it
currently has open. Please make sure the target machine's preexisting IDAPI
configuration file is not currently in use by any other program.

3. The IDAPI configuration file on the target machine is corrupt. To check
this, launch the machine's BDE Configuration program and open the IDAPI
configuration file from the path as specified under the system's registry or
Win.ini file. Try using the program's Merge option (from the File menu) to
merge another configuration file with the IDAPI file. (For a 32-bit setup, you
can try using the Idapi32.cnf file located in Express's Redist subdirectory.
For 16-bit, use the Idapi.cnf file located in Express's Redist16
subdirectory.) Also, try saving the machine's IDAPI file as a new temporary
name, opening Express's Idapi32.cnf file in the BDE Configuration program,
saving it as Idapi32.cfg, and then rerunning the installation. This way you
can see if the merge will be possible with a new, "clean" IDAPI configuration
file.

4. Version 1.0 of InstallShield Express Professional contained a problem with
16-bit Delphi BDE setups. While installations made on machines with
preexisting BDE would complete successfully, a setup which targeted a system
with no preexisting BDE would trigger the "Merging the configuration file has
failed" message even though there was no current IDAPI file with which to
merge. Symptoms of this problem included a 0-byte Idapi.cfg file (with a
random date) being installed on the machine and Idapinew.cfg appearing in the
same directory as the Idapi.cfg file. After rebooting the system, the
installed BDE would usually run correctly. This problem has been fixed in the
1.1 maintenance release of InstallShield Express Professional. (Make sure the
date of the setup.ins file is 9/3/1996 and the date of the isx.exe file is
8/28/1996)