InprocHandler32 - registry

Hi,

Not sure if this makes any sense at all, but here goes...

I am writing a COM object that needs to be used by a 3rd party app.  I
am required to have 2 interfaces, one with 3 methods and one with 4 (the
names are specific, but not worth mentioning here).  When I use the app
to "register" my DLL, it tells me that my object cannot be created -
however, if I write my own program that does the CreateCOMObject, my COM
object is created no problem.  The 3rd party app provides a VB wizard
for creating a COM object and those work fine.  When I compare the
registry entries between the VB COM object and the Delphi COM object, I
see the VB one has an entry for InprocHandler32 with a value of
OLE32.DLL.  My Delphi object doesn't have this entry at all.

So, my question is: what does InprocHandler32 specify and could my not
having an entry be the cause of my problem?  If so, how do I get my COM
object created so that InprocHandler32 is there?  The 3rd party support
people haven't been able to supply me with any assistance to this
point...

Thanks,
Cheney

Re:InprocHandler32 - registry

I don't think this has anything to do with the InprocHandler32 entry.

Is your COM object an Automation object? Check your source code - does it
descend from TAutoObject or TTypedComObject?

If it descends from TTypedComObject, Delphi will not provide an automatic
implementation of IDispatch for you, which might be what's preventing the
3rd party from creating the object.

Yaniv Golan
ygo...@netvision.net.il

Cheney Hu <che...@solcominc.com> wrote in message

> Hi,

> Not sure if this makes any sense at all, but here goes...

> I am writing a COM object that needs to be used by a 3rd party app.  I
> am required to have 2 interfaces, one with 3 methods and one with 4 (the
> names are specific, but not worth mentioning here).  When I use the app
> to "register" my DLL, it tells me that my object cannot be created -
> however, if I write my own program that does the CreateCOMObject, my COM
> object is created no problem.  The 3rd party app provides a VB wizard
> for creating a COM object and those work fine.  When I compare the
> registry entries between the VB COM object and the Delphi COM object, I
> see the VB one has an entry for InprocHandler32 with a value of
> OLE32.DLL.  My Delphi object doesn't have this entry at all.

> So, my question is: what does InprocHandler32 specify and could my not
> having an entry be the cause of my problem?  If so, how do I get my COM
> object created so that InprocHandler32 is there?  The 3rd party support
> people haven't been able to supply me with any assistance to this
> point...

> Thanks,
> Cheney

Re:InprocHandler32 - registry

Can you show the code in the other app that gives the error?
--
Binh Ly
Visit my COM Notes at http://www.castle.net/~bly/com

Cheney Hu <che...@solcominc.com> wrote in message

> Hi,

> Not sure if this makes any sense at all, but here goes...

> I am writing a COM object that needs to be used by a 3rd party app.  I
> am required to have 2 interfaces, one with 3 methods and one with 4 (the
> names are specific, but not worth mentioning here).  When I use the app
> to "register" my DLL, it tells me that my object cannot be created -
> however, if I write my own program that does the CreateCOMObject, my COM
> object is created no problem.  The 3rd party app provides a VB wizard
> for creating a COM object and those work fine.  When I compare the
> registry entries between the VB COM object and the Delphi COM object, I
> see the VB one has an entry for InprocHandler32 with a value of
> OLE32.DLL.  My Delphi object doesn't have this entry at all.

> So, my question is: what does InprocHandler32 specify and could my not
> having an entry be the cause of my problem?  If so, how do I get my COM
> object created so that InprocHandler32 is there?  The 3rd party support
> people haven't been able to supply me with any assistance to this
> point...

> Thanks,
> Cheney

Re:InprocHandler32 - registry

Unfortunately, I have been able to get very little information about the
application that is trying to use my COM object.  For some reason, they
haven't been able to tell me what they are doing (CreateCOMObject, whatever)
when they believe there is an error - they haven't been able to tell me if the
interface is supposed to be derived from IUnknown or IDispatch.  There only
response has been to write the COM object using their VB wizard because that
"works".

Anyways, thanks for the reply.  And, thanks for all the information in your
website - it's a great resource.

Cheney

Binh Ly wrote:
> Can you show the code in the other app that gives the error?
> --
> Binh Ly
> Visit my COM Notes at http://www.castle.net/~bly/com

> Cheney Hu <che...@solcominc.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,

> > Not sure if this makes any sense at all, but here goes...

> > I am writing a COM object that needs to be used by a 3rd party app.  I
> > am required to have 2 interfaces, one with 3 methods and one with 4 (the
> > names are specific, but not worth mentioning here).  When I use the app
> > to "register" my DLL, it tells me that my object cannot be created -
> > however, if I write my own program that does the CreateCOMObject, my COM
> > object is created no problem.  The 3rd party app provides a VB wizard
> > for creating a COM object and those work fine.  When I compare the
> > registry entries between the VB COM object and the Delphi COM object, I
> > see the VB one has an entry for InprocHandler32 with a value of
> > OLE32.DLL.  My Delphi object doesn't have this entry at all.

> > So, my question is: what does InprocHandler32 specify and could my not
> > having an entry be the cause of my problem?  If so, how do I get my COM
> > object created so that InprocHandler32 is there?  The 3rd party support
> > people haven't been able to supply me with any assistance to this
> > point...

> > Thanks,
> > Cheney

Other Threads