lcoking/sharing problem BDE/Paradox over network

Hello,

I have a problem using locking/sharing of paradox tables over a network. My
app. uses the BDE to acces a shared network directory (One works local). The
2 apps on different computers see the same 'starting' data, but everything
they do later (locking/updating) they don't see of eachother.
The BDE's are configured to use the same datadirectory and the same
'netfiledir' so i'm lost.....

anyone can help?

grts,
-RP

Re:lcoking/sharing problem BDE/Paradox over network

Start the BDE Administrator and make the following changes on both PCs:
- Set Configuration | Drivers | Native | Paradox | NET DIR to the UNC name
of the database directory.
- Set Configuration | System | INIT | LOCAL SHARE to TRUE.

"Rein-Peter de Boer" <rp.de.b...@tricat.nl> schreef in bericht

> Hello,

> I have a problem using locking/sharing of paradox tables over a network.
My
> app. uses the BDE to acces a shared network directory (One works local).
The
> 2 apps on different computers see the same 'starting' data, but everything
> they do later (locking/updating) they don't see of eachother.
> The BDE's are configured to use the same datadirectory and the same
> 'netfiledir' so i'm lost.....

> anyone can help?

> grts,
> -RP

Re:lcoking/sharing problem BDE/Paradox over network

this works!!!
thx!

But now i'm curious.
According to the docs, LOCAL SHARE is needed when accessing with non bde
apps. Or is a romote BDE considered as non BDE?

grts,
-RP

"M.H. Avegaart" <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> wrote in message

> Start the BDE Administrator and make the following changes on both PCs:
> - Set Configuration | Drivers | Native | Paradox | NET DIR to the UNC name
> of the database directory.
> - Set Configuration | System | INIT | LOCAL SHARE to TRUE.

> "Rein-Peter de Boer" <rp.de.b...@tricat.nl> schreef in bericht
> > Hello,

> > I have a problem using locking/sharing of paradox tables over a network.
> My
> > app. uses the BDE to acces a shared network directory (One works local).
> The
> > 2 apps on different computers see the same 'starting' data, but
everything
> > they do later (locking/updating) they don't see of eachother.
> > The BDE's are configured to use the same datadirectory and the same
> > 'netfiledir' so i'm lost.....

> > anyone can help?

> > grts,
> > -RP

Re:lcoking/sharing problem BDE/Paradox over network

Setting LOCAL SHARE to TRUE will force all applications using the BDE to
write all changes to the database without buffering. This will slowdown you
applications, but will ensure database consistancy.

"Rein-Peter de Boer" <rp.de.b...@tricat.nl> wrote in message

> this works!!!
> thx!

> But now i'm curious.
> According to the docs, LOCAL SHARE is needed when accessing with non bde
> apps. Or is a romote BDE considered as non BDE?

The docs indicate that LOCAL SHARE is needed when the database is not on a
Fileserver based network, i.e. not on Novell. All MS networks are
peer-to-peer and thus you have to tell the BDE that it is working in a
multi-user environment since it can't determine this for itself. IMO one
should always have this parameter set to True. It forces the BDE not to
cache its updates and, while there is a speed penalty, even in single user
situations contributes to a much more stable database and greatly reduces
problems with out of date indexes and blob open errors causes by
unanticipated program terminations.

> grts,
> -RP

> "M.H. Avegaart" <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> wrote in message
> > Start the BDE Administrator and make the following changes on both PCs:
> > - Set Configuration | Drivers | Native | Paradox | NET DIR to the UNC
name
> > of the database directory.
> > - Set Configuration | System | INIT | LOCAL SHARE to TRUE.

> > "Rein-Peter de Boer" <rp.de.b...@tricat.nl> schreef in bericht
> > > Hello,

> > > I have a problem using locking/sharing of paradox tables over a
network.
> > My
> > > app. uses the BDE to acces a shared network directory (One works
local).
> > The
> > > 2 apps on different computers see the same 'starting' data, but
> everything
> > > they do later (locking/updating) they don't see of eachother.
> > > The BDE's are configured to use the same datadirectory and the same
> > > 'netfiledir' so i'm lost.....

> > > anyone can help?

> > > grts,
> > > -RP