Automating powerpoint on multiple specific PCs

I am developing an app that will schedule the remote playing back of
Powerpoint presentations on various playback machines (ie. at once).

The schedule app runs on w95 currently, the playback machine is nt4
workstation. With a bit of help from Web examples, I have been able to
connect to "Powerpoint.Application" and open and run the presentation,
with some 5sec polling to detect when the presentation ends. This works
fine on the local PP.

I have used dcomcnfg locally to set the com object for Powerpoint to
operate a remote machine, and messed with settings on the remote PP
machine to make it accept, run and play back presentations.

What I now need to do is have my application be able to connect to
different PP PC's. I can imagine that the dcomcnfg is just stored in the
registry and I could change the remote server name to access the next PC
I need to run a presentation on. Would this work ?

Preferably though, I want to be able to have simultaneous connections to
all PP PC's. I found an example by Charlie Calvert using D2/D3, but have
been unable to successfully run it to connect to a remote machine. The
code uses GetRemoteOleObject, which Charlie defines himself.

I assume that it is not a problem to do what I am asking, although I
imagine that it is more common for clients to specific machines.

Where to next for solutions ?

David Timms
Rutledge Engineering

Re:Automating powerpoint on multiple specific PCs

I am starting to think this much harder than I first imagined... unless
Delphi 5 has components to do with com/dcom that I don't have access to
in Delphi4 ?
David Timms wrote:

> I am developing an app that will schedule the remote playing back of
> Powerpoint presentations on various playback machines (ie. at once).

> The schedule app runs on w95 currently, the playback machine is nt4
> workstation. With a bit of help from Web examples, I have been able to
> connect to "Powerpoint.Application" and open and run the presentation,
> with some 5sec polling to detect when the presentation ends. This works
> fine on the local PP.

> I have used dcomcnfg locally to set the com object for Powerpoint to
> operate a remote machine, and messed with settings on the remote PP
> machine to make it accept, run and play back presentations.

> What I now need to do is have my application be able to connect to
> different PP PC's. I can imagine that the dcomcnfg is just stored in the
> registry and I could change the remote server name to access the next PC
> I need to run a presentation on. Would this work ?

> Preferably though, I want to be able to have simultaneous connections to
> all PP PC's. I found an example by Charlie Calvert using D2/D3, but have
> been unable to successfully run it to connect to a remote machine. The
> code uses GetRemoteOleObject, which Charlie defines himself.

> I assume that it is not a problem to do what I am asking, although I
> imagine that it is more common for clients to specific machines.

> Where to next for solutions ?

> David Timms
> Rutledge Engineering

Other Threads