Database application to run only within CD

I have a customer who is requesting that I create a database and front end
[of my choice, so likely delphi] that runs SOLELY from the CD.

No installation to hard drive and I cannot set up ODBC DNS for the database.

Any pointers on which would be best?
I was going to think about using the TDatabase etc.. but they would require
BDE [right?] and hence an install would be needed.

Thanks

[I know if I get desperate, I can create a series of flat files and parse on
my own... but a db may be a bit easier in the long run]

Re:Database application to run only within CD

David:

What type of application is it? Is it an informational catalog type or will
data entry be required? I'm assuming the latter.

Will data updates be required?

If you are using D6 then I would use the MyBase functionality. Check the
licensing requirements,  since it's not updating data just using it you
should be fine.

Only other file required to distribute would be midas.dll if you didn't link
in the source unit. Just keep the directory structure consistant with the
prospective distribution cd.

Doug

Douglas Development Group, L. L. C.

P.S. Give me a buzz if you need any help. I've built a few of these. Some
with BDE and Paradox Tables.

"David Gley" <dg...@anteon.com> wrote in message news:3d01095f$1_1@dnews...
> I have a customer who is requesting that I create a database and front end
> [of my choice, so likely delphi] that runs SOLELY from the CD.

> No installation to hard drive and I cannot set up ODBC DNS for the
database.

> Any pointers on which would be best?
> I was going to think about using the TDatabase etc.. but they would
require
> BDE [right?] and hence an install would be needed.

> Thanks

> [I know if I get desperate, I can create a series of flat files and parse
on
> my own... but a db may be a bit easier in the long run]

Re:Database application to run only within CD

Can't you just choose an OLEDB driver and set up the ADOconnection to be in
the same path as the app (ie on the CD)?

You just need to set up the ADO connection in the .dpr file as the app
starts up (ie, when it knows where it is this time).

HTH,

Lauchlan M.

> I have a customer who is requesting that I create a database and front end
> [of my choice, so likely delphi] that runs SOLELY from the CD.

> No installation to hard drive and I cannot set up ODBC DNS for the
database.

> Any pointers on which would be best?

Re:Database application to run only within CD

>I have a customer who is requesting that I create a database and front end
>[of my choice, so likely delphi] that runs SOLELY from the CD.

>No installation to hard drive and I cannot set up ODBC DNS for the database.

>Any pointers on which would be best?
>I was going to think about using the TDatabase etc.. but they would require
>BDE [right?] and hence an install would be needed.

No Tdataset does not require BDE.  TBDEDataset is a Tdataset descendant that
requires BDE.  Ttable and Tquery descend from TBDEDataset.

If you have to run only off the CD does this mean that all files are on the CD
and ReadOnly?
If the files you need to read data from are on the CD and they are not large I
would probably use TclientDataset and just use its LoadfromFile SavetoFile
methods.  This can use either a binary file format or XML.

You can use ADO and create the connectionstring at runtime.  Nothing needs to be
saved on the PC but the PC will have to have ADO installed on it.

If you look at 3rd party database drivers DbIsam is probably the best suited for
a contained distribution like this.  Its drivers compile into the .exe and are
quite small.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

It is read only from the CD.

It is a catalog style db/app.  The data is queried and results brought that
include
links to documents.  The documents are also to be stored on the CD.

XML sounds promising.  Is there a decent component [free?] that is available
use to read xml?  I've written a large set of routines, but I feel they may
not be
strong enough to handle this.

I could go dig up the old exe for an xml parser off the web... I think it is
pd.

Steve
[@dave's desk]

> >I have a customer who is requesting that I create a database and front
end
> >[of my choice, so likely delphi] that runs SOLELY from the CD.

> >No installation to hard drive and I cannot set up ODBC DNS for the
database.

> >Any pointers on which would be best?
> >I was going to think about using the TDatabase etc.. but they would
require
> >BDE [right?] and hence an install would be needed.

> No Tdataset does not require BDE.  TBDEDataset is a Tdataset descendant
that
> requires BDE.  Ttable and Tquery descend from TBDEDataset.

> If you have to run only off the CD does this mean that all files are on
the CD
> and ReadOnly?
> If the files you need to read data from are on the CD and they are not
large I
> would probably use TclientDataset and just use its LoadfromFile SavetoFile
> methods.  This can use either a binary file format or XML.

> You can use ADO and create the connectionstring at runtime.  Nothing needs
to be
> saved on the PC but the PC will have to have ADO installed on it.

> If you look at 3rd party database drivers DbIsam is probably the best
suited for
> a contained distribution like this.  Its drivers compile into the .exe and
are
> quite small.

> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

There may be as many 30 recipients of the CD.  Wouldn't the ClientDataSet
require a MIDAS license for each?
The Deploy.TXT, Delphi Help and LICENSE.TXT infer that there are licenses
required for each, although it does mention for sharing amongst computers.
Since
these would be non cross server apps, does that apply?

[The HTTP://www.borland.com/midas page no longer exists. [The page referred
in the DEPLOY.TXT file.]

I am using Delphi 5 enterprise, btw.

Steve
* @ daves desk

> >I have a customer who is requesting that I create a database and front
end
> >[of my choice, so likely delphi] that runs SOLELY from the CD.

> >No installation to hard drive and I cannot set up ODBC DNS for the
database.

> >Any pointers on which would be best?
> >I was going to think about using the TDatabase etc.. but they would
require
> >BDE [right?] and hence an install would be needed.

> No Tdataset does not require BDE.  TBDEDataset is a Tdataset descendant
that
> requires BDE.  Ttable and Tquery descend from TBDEDataset.

> If you have to run only off the CD does this mean that all files are on
the CD
> and ReadOnly?
> If the files you need to read data from are on the CD and they are not
large I
> would probably use TclientDataset and just use its LoadfromFile SavetoFile
> methods.  This can use either a binary file format or XML.

> You can use ADO and create the connectionstring at runtime.  Nothing needs
to be
> saved on the PC but the PC will have to have ADO installed on it.

> If you look at 3rd party database drivers DbIsam is probably the best
suited for
> a contained distribution like this.  Its drivers compile into the .exe and
are
> quite small.

> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

--Quote START--
Follow the Data Packet The way you use the MIDAS data packet determines
whether you need to purchase a MIDAS deployment license or not.
To me, this is the simplest way to put the licensing requirements:
    If the MIDAS data packet goes from one machine to another by any means,
a license is required
    If the MIDAS data packet always stays on the same machine, you do not
need a license.

"By any means" includes copying to a floppy, using email, copying from one
hard drive to another, backing up from one machine and restoring on another
then resolving the data, and so on. Basically, any method of transferring
the data packet from one machine to another.

--Quote END--

I'll be distributing data but not data packets.  The 'By any means' scares
me a bit.
If I use the saveasfile, I think that would be distributing their data
packet [right?].

I could use an xml file and use my own routines to bring it into a dataset
and not
have to worry about the clientdataset, but am not sure about populating a
non-connected dataset.  I'll have to look into that.

Steve@Dave's.Desk

"David Gley" <dg...@anteon.com> wrote in message news:3d04bd9d_1@dnews...
> There may be as many 30 recipients of the CD.  Wouldn't the ClientDataSet
> require a MIDAS license for each?
> The Deploy.TXT, Delphi Help and LICENSE.TXT infer that there are licenses
> required for each, although it does mention for sharing amongst computers.
> Since
> these would be non cross server apps, does that apply?

> [The HTTP://www.borland.com/midas page no longer exists. [The page
referred
> in the DEPLOY.TXT file.]

> I am using Delphi 5 enterprise, btw.

> Steve
> * @ daves desk

> "Brian Bushay TeamB" <BBus...@Nmpls.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a customer who is requesting that I create a database and front
> end
> > >[of my choice, so likely delphi] that runs SOLELY from the CD.

> > >No installation to hard drive and I cannot set up ODBC DNS for the
> database.

> > >Any pointers on which would be best?
> > >I was going to think about using the TDatabase etc.. but they would
> require
> > >BDE [right?] and hence an install would be needed.

> > No Tdataset does not require BDE.  TBDEDataset is a Tdataset descendant
> that
> > requires BDE.  Ttable and Tquery descend from TBDEDataset.

> > If you have to run only off the CD does this mean that all files are on
> the CD
> > and ReadOnly?
> > If the files you need to read data from are on the CD and they are not
> large I
> > would probably use TclientDataset and just use its LoadfromFile
SavetoFile
> > methods.  This can use either a binary file format or XML.

> > You can use ADO and create the connectionstring at runtime.  Nothing
needs
> to be
> > saved on the PC but the PC will have to have ADO installed on it.

> > If you look at 3rd party database drivers DbIsam is probably the best
> suited for
> > a contained distribution like this.  Its drivers compile into the .exe
and
> are
> > quite small.

> > --
> > Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> > Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

From the same page:

> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20870,00.html

Standalone (no deployment license, no BDE)
For deployment needs where the BDE is either too large or requires too much
configuration, MIDAS' TClientDataSet can be used to provide a powerful
alternative solution. The TClientDataSet component can be used for local
data storage. You can use the ClientDataSet component to create an in-memory
table. Because this table is in-memory, manipulations of it are extremely
fast. In addition, since it descends from the virtual TDataset class, you
can use the standard data-aware controls as you always have. If you want to
persist the table, you can use the built-in methods SaveToFile and
LoadFromFile. Also, simply assigning the ClientDataSet.FileName property
will persist the table automatically.

This describes exactly my application [the image shown looks much like an
image I created for the customer during proposals even].  The only possible
issue is that
the database is being replicated and distributed with the application.

Is there a better area for me to look for licensing issues?

"David Gley" <dg...@anteon.com> wrote in message news:3d04c1a0$1_1@dnews...
> [...]

> > large I
> > > would probably use TclientDataset and just use its LoadfromFile
> SavetoFile
> > > methods.  This can use either a binary file format or XML.

> > > You can use ADO and create the connectionstring at runtime.  Nothing
> needs
> > to be
> > > saved on the PC but the PC will have to have ADO installed on it.

> > > If you look at 3rd party database drivers DbIsam is probably the best
> > suited for
> > > a contained distribution like this.  Its drivers compile into the .exe
> and
> > are
> > > quite small.

> > > --
> > > Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> > > Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

IMHO, you're in the clear.

The application you are creating does not access a dataserver to initially
aquire the dataset nor does it RETURN data to the server.

Hense,

From Deploy.txt -- Delphi 6 Enterprise -- (i know you're using D5)
<snip>

A server deployment license is not required for deploying
MIDAS.DLL and STDVCL40.DLL in an application in which
the client and server reside on the same machine. These two
files are the Client Dataset Redistributables referred to
in the License Statement.

<snip>
Look for deploy.txt in your root delphi directory.

I'd still use the TClientDataSet. -- You can create all your tables within 1
file using the nested dataset capability.

Doug

> > > There may be as many 30 recipients of the CD.  Wouldn't the
> ClientDataSet
> > > require a MIDAS license for each?
> > > The Deploy.TXT, Delphi Help and LICENSE.TXT infer that there are
> licenses
> > > required for each, although it does mention for sharing amongst
> computers.
> > > Since
> > > these would be non cross server apps, does that apply?

> > > [The HTTP://www.borland.com/midas page no longer exists. [The page
> > referred
> > > in the DEPLOY.TXT file.]

> > > I am using Delphi 5 enterprise, btw.

> > > Steve
> > > * @ daves desk

> > > "Brian Bushay TeamB" <BBus...@Nmpls.com> wrote in message
> front
> > > end

> > > database.

> > > require

> descendant
> > > that

> on
> > > the CD
> > > large I
> > SavetoFile

> > needs
> > > to be

> > > suited for
> > and
> > > are

Re:Database application to run only within CD

Nested datasets... intriguing.
Any pointers on developing those?

The db is rather simple, so not a lot of tables if in a dbm [maybe 7, not
including list lookups].  Putting as one primary dataset with nested tables
within might be
the most simple method.

Can I use a dbNavigator to point to a nested dataset?

[Major dataset is the eoSystems table, a nested dataset may be eoDocuments
which would be a one to many relationship]

Steve@Dave's.Desk

"Douglas Development Group, L. L. C." <infonos...@d-d-g.com> wrote in
message news:3d04e700_1@dnews...

> [...]

> > licenses
> > computers.

> > > referred

> > front

> > descendant

> > on
> not
> > > SavetoFile

Nothing
> > > needs

> best
> .exe
> > > and

Re:Database application to run only within CD

>There may be as many 30 recipients of the CD.  Wouldn't the ClientDataSet
>require a MIDAS license for each?
>The Deploy.TXT, Delphi Help and LICENSE.TXT infer that there are licenses
>required for each, although it does mention for sharing amongst computers.
>Since
>these would be non cross server apps, does that apply?

As long as the Midas Provider is on the same computer as the datasets there is
no licensing cost.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

>XML sounds promising.  Is there a decent component [free?] that is available
>use to read xml?  I've written a large set of routines, but I feel they may
>not be
>strong enough to handle this.

In D6 Tclientdataset handles XML
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

>I'll be distributing data but not data packets.  The 'By any means' scares
>me a bit.
>If I use the saveasfile, I think that would be distributing their data
>packet [right?].

No not for licensing purposes.  Its a file not a data packet.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Database application to run only within CD

OK,
I figured it out. [How to point to a nested dataset].

Thanks for the tips folks.
Hope I can return as many.

Steve@Dave's.desk

salbrightATanteon.com

> > > From the same page:

> > > Standalone (no deployment license, no BDE)
> > > For deployment needs where the BDE is either too large or requires too
> > much
> > > configuration, MIDAS' TClientDataSet can be used to provide a powerful
> > > alternative solution. The TClientDataSet component can be used for
local
> > > data storage. You can use the ClientDataSet component to create an
> > in-memory
> > > table. Because this table is in-memory, manipulations of it are
> extremely
> > > fast. In addition, since it descends from the virtual TDataset class,
> you
> > > can use the standard data-aware controls as you always have. If you
want
> > > persist the table, you can use the built-in methods SaveToFile and
> > > LoadFromFile. Also, simply assigning the ClientDataSet.FileName
property
> > > will persist the table automatically.

> > > This describes exactly my application [the image shown looks much like
> an
> > > image I created for the customer during proposals even].  The only
> > possible
> > > issue is that
> > > the database is being replicated and distributed with the application.

> > > Is there a better area for me to look for licensing issues?

> > > "David Gley" <dg...@anteon.com> wrote in message

> determines
> > > means,
> > not