need for BDE replacement

The BDE works fine but Borland requires that all files be shipped with
an application. That adds about 1.5MB (compressed).

I would like to distribute my application over the internet but with the
BDE a lot of people wouldn't want to download that large of a file.

Also, with Delphi 1.0, you must use Borland's install program for it.
That would be tacky. Delphi 3.0 ships with a trimmed down version of
'InstallShield' which handles installation of the BDE along with your
application. That's nice but it doesn't work with Windows 3.1.

The third party BDE replacement that I tried would have only added about
100K but caused several bugs in my application that aren't there when I
use the BDE.

I'm new at this so if I'm missing something, I would appreciate any
advice.

Thanks.

Re:need for BDE replacement

 I am doing exactly what it is you are talking about.. I use some shareware
called Halcyon. Works great, no, dlls, no memory leaks etc. All you end up
with is an exe .  If you look at my site, you will were I used it to make my
classified section. Http://www.astoria.com

Halcyon can be downloaded  from http://www.grifsolu.com

--
Gordon Hamm
Voice Data Systems Inc.

M. Niklas wrote in article <33F8891A.6...@ee.net>...

>The BDE works fine but Borland requires that all files be shipped with
>an application. That adds about 1.5MB (compressed).

>I would like to distribute my application over the internet but with the
>BDE a lot of people wouldn't want to download that large of a file.

>Also, with Delphi 1.0, you must use Borland's install program for it.
>That would be tacky. Delphi 3.0 ships with a trimmed down version of
>'InstallShield' which handles installation of the BDE along with your
>application. That's nice but it doesn't work with Windows 3.1.

>The third party BDE replacement that I tried would have only added about
>100K but caused several bugs in my application that aren't there when I
>use the BDE.

>I'm new at this so if I'm missing something, I would appreciate any
>advice.

>Thanks.

Other Threads