Q: to SHARE or not to SHARE ?

hi ,            U R G E N T

we have a D3 application that manages paradox 7 DB on the network and can
be executed simultaneously in several stations

should we set the BDE parameter LOCAL SHARE to true or false ?
generally, what are the criteria for setting it to true ?

in the future we intend to support SQL databases like MS SQL and ORACLE,
what will be the effect of setting LOCAL SHARE to true in these cases ?

thanx in advance

please email answer to r...@mind.co.il

Re:Q: to SHARE or not to SHARE ?

Rafi Newman wrote:

> hi ,            U R G E N T

> we have a D3 application that manages paradox 7 DB on the network and can
> be executed simultaneously in several stations

> should we set the BDE parameter LOCAL SHARE to true or false ?
> generally, what are the criteria for setting it to true ?

> in the future we intend to support SQL databases like MS SQL and ORACLE,
> what will be the effect of setting LOCAL SHARE to true in these cases ?

> thanx in advance

> please email answer to r...@mind.co.il

You should take a look at www.dejanews.com because there was a very long
thread about this problem 1 month ago.

The summary was that you must set LOCALSHARE to true on each machine,
except on Novell lan.

LOCALSHARE is relevant only with desk databases (Paradox, dbase...)

But you should read the thread, there was TeamB answers...

Regards,

Frdric GUILLIEN

Re:Q: to SHARE or not to SHARE ?

There's also a lot of information re this subject on the Borland
homepages, see the TI-docs

HTH, Eric
Eric Schokker,

Remove *NO-Spam* from Email address

E-mail: Eric.Schokker@*NO-Spam*ntu-beheer.nl

Re:Q: to SHARE or not to SHARE ?

Rafi Newman wrote:
> we have a D3 application that manages paradox 7 DB on the network and can
> be executed simultaneously in several stations

> should we set the BDE parameter LOCAL SHARE to true or false ?
> generally, what are the criteria for setting it to true ?

You need LOCAL SHARE for peer to peer networking, and any other
situation where more than one app, executing on the same machine as the
DB, may access the database at the same time.

So AFAIK if your DB is on a server, and the server isn't used to execute
programs that access the DB, you don't need it.  Also AFAIK, turning it
OFF is only an advantage for applications running on a single machine
(DB and executables).  Borland has a good TI on this.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
 email: ag...@tpgi.com.au