"At beginning of table"/"At End of Table" - showstoppers

Dear 'group,

Posted an earlier message re "At beginning of table", well, it had to
happen - I have now found a way to produce the "At end of table" error
message.  They're EDBEngineError's, numbers 8705 and 8706 respectively.

Trouble is, what is it trying to tell me?  Yes, I know I am at the end of
the table because my code says While Not MyTable.eof...blah...end;  --
therefore, immediately afterwards I will be at the end of the table.  I
know this already, so why is it insisting on telling me and refusing to
carry on the code???

And why would I need to know "At beginning of table"? - Having just opened
the table, then I suppose I would be - wouldn't I??

I'm getting the above error on my tables, when they're empty, or very
nearly (I think..).  Can't find any help on these error messages, and the
messages don't actually tell me anything useful..

I'm only using standard TTables, TQuery's and TDatasources nothing out of
the ordinary, combined with standard Data-aware components (DBGrid, DBEdit
etc).

Will someone p-l-e-a-s-e help. They're a total showstopper.

TIA

Stu.

Re:"At beginning of table"/"At End of Table" - showstoppers

What database are you using?
Are you ranging, or filtering with the ttables?
Are you filtering the Queries?
Stuart Clennett wrote in message <01bdf200$21f3f5c0$12eb5cc3@janmills>...
>Dear 'group,

>Posted an earlier message re "At beginning of table", well, it had to
>happen - I have now found a way to produce the "At end of table" error
>message.  They're EDBEngineError's, numbers 8705 and 8706 respectively.

>Trouble is, what is it trying to tell me?  Yes, I know I am at the end of
>the table because my code says While Not MyTable.eof...blah...end;  --
>therefore, immediately afterwards I will be at the end of the table.  I
>know this already, so why is it insisting on telling me and refusing to
>carry on the code???

>And why would I need to know "At beginning of table"? - Having just opened
>the table, then I suppose I would be - wouldn't I??

>I'm getting the above error on my tables, when they're empty, or very
>nearly (I think..).  Can't find any help on these error messages, and the
>messages don't actually tell me anything useful..

>I'm only using standard TTables, TQuery's and TDatasources nothing out of
>the ordinary, combined with standard Data-aware components (DBGrid, DBEdit
>etc).

>Will someone p-l-e-a-s-e help. They're a total showstopper.

>TIA

>Stu.

Re:"At beginning of table"/"At End of Table" - showstoppers

I'd need to see the actual bloack of code to help you here...  Could you
post it?
Stuart Clennett wrote in message <01bdf200$21f3f5c0$12eb5cc3@janmills>...
>Dear 'group,

>Posted an earlier message re "At beginning of table", well, it had to
>happen - I have now found a way to produce the "At end of table" error
>message.  They're EDBEngineError's, numbers 8705 and 8706 respectively.

>Trouble is, what is it trying to tell me?  Yes, I know I am at the end of
>the table because my code says While Not MyTable.eof...blah...end;  --
>therefore, immediately afterwards I will be at the end of the table.  I
>know this already, so why is it insisting on telling me and refusing to
>carry on the code???

>And why would I need to know "At beginning of table"? - Having just opened
>the table, then I suppose I would be - wouldn't I??

>I'm getting the above error on my tables, when they're empty, or very
>nearly (I think..).  Can't find any help on these error messages, and the
>messages don't actually tell me anything useful..

>I'm only using standard TTables, TQuery's and TDatasources nothing out of
>the ordinary, combined with standard Data-aware components (DBGrid, DBEdit
>etc).

>Will someone p-l-e-a-s-e help. They're a total showstopper.

>TIA

>Stu.

Re:"At beginning of table"/"At End of Table" - showstoppers

Glad to oblige....

I'm performing all this code on tables that have a master table, which has
a master table also.  So third level Master-Detail tables.

I'm actually getting the At beginning of table error when simply "opening"
the tables.  Literally nothing else.  I have since experimented, and this
error is very intermittent, but I find that I can avoid it by a
disablecontrols.  However when I enablecontrols this error occurs.  I can't
track down which type of control is causing this, (or even which individual
control).  I've tried manually disconnecting groups of controls at a time,
but the result is always the same.  Incidentally, the table I'm operating
on is brand new, empty table created with code generated by the
TableScanner component.  I've also tried with Database Desktop to manually
create the tables, but error still occurs.

I can get the At End Of Table with the following (in a separate
application)...
        With MyTable do begin
                Open;
                First;
                While Not Eof Do Begin
                        MyTreeNode := AddObject(fieldbyname('T198').asstring, getbookmark);
                        next;
                end;
        close;
        end;

(It even happens when I remove the MyTreeNode line)  So you see there's
nothing odd about the code (this was typed in by hand from memory, so
'scuse any errors)

The only connection between the two errors is that they both happen on
tables that are part of a master-detail relationship and they have
data-aware controls connected to them.

Glad of ANY help.  I'm really stuck.

Robert Dytmire <rdytm...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6vrk09$...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>...

> I'd need to see the actual bloack of code to help you here...  Could you
> post it?

> Stuart Clennett wrote in message <01bdf200$21f3f5c0$12eb5cc3@janmills>...
> >Dear 'group,

> >Posted an earlier message re "At beginning of table", well, it had to
> >happen - I have now found a way to produce the "At end of table" error
> >message.  They're EDBEngineError's, numbers 8705 and 8706 respectively.

> >Trouble is, what is it trying to tell me?  Yes, I know I am at the end
of
> >the table because my code says While Not MyTable.eof...blah...end;  --
> >therefore, immediately afterwards I will be at the end of the table.  I
> >know this already, so why is it insisting on telling me and refusing to
> >carry on the code???

> >And why would I need to know "At beginning of table"? - Having just
opened
> >the table, then I suppose I would be - wouldn't I??

> >I'm getting the above error on my tables, when they're empty, or very
> >nearly (I think..).  Can't find any help on these error messages, and
the
> >messages don't actually tell me anything useful..

> >I'm only using standard TTables, TQuery's and TDatasources nothing out
of
> >the ordinary, combined with standard Data-aware components (DBGrid,
DBEdit
> >etc).

> >Will someone p-l-e-a-s-e help. They're a total showstopper.

> >TIA

> >Stu.

Other Threads