Including icons in .EXE files

How would you incorporate a free-standing .ICO file so that Program
Manager or an icon viewer would find it in your .EXE file?  What I
really want to do is collect a lot of .ICO files into one .EXE or
.DLL file, so my icon editor can find and view them?  The editor
can look at .ICO, .EXE, and .DLL files.

The reason is that.ICO files are small and take up an awful lot of
disk space.  It would be nice to pack them all into one big file.

--
R. N. (dick) Wisan  - Email: wis...@norwich.net
                    - Snail: 37 Clinton Street, Oneonta NY 13820, U.S.A.

Re:Including icons in .EXE files

On April 5, 1998,{*word*106} Wisan wrote:
DW> How would you incorporate a free-standing .ICO file so that
DW> Program Manager or an icon viewer would find it in your .EXE file?
DW> What I really want to do is collect a lot of .ICO files into one
DW> .EXE or .DLL file, so my icon editor can find and view them?  The
DW> editor can look at .ICO, .EXE, and .DLL files.

It's not in Pascal but I did write a short program in C that simply
creates a DLL wrapper around a resource file of icons. If you fluent
enough in writing Windows programs in Borland Pascal (I'm just a BP
for MS-DOS guy), I'm sure you can easily translate it.

If you or anybody else wants a copy of it, let me know.

Re:Including icons in .EXE files

In article <6g8pat$r6...@gte2.gte.net>, white-...@gte.net says...

>On April 5, 1998,{*word*106} Wisan wrote:
>DW> How would you incorporate a free-standing .ICO file so that
>DW> Program Manager or an icon viewer would find it in your .EXE file?
>DW> What I really want to do is collect a lot of .ICO files into one
>DW> .EXE or .DLL file, so my icon editor can find and view them?  The
>DW> editor can look at .ICO, .EXE, and .DLL files.

>It's not in Pascal but I did write a short program in C that simply
>creates a DLL wrapper around a resource file of icons. If you fluent
>enough in writing Windows programs in Borland Pascal (I'm just a BP
>for MS-DOS guy), I'm sure you can easily translate it.

>If you or anybody else wants a copy of it, let me know.

Postmaster at gte.net knows not white-fox, so let me reply here.

I'm no Windows programmer either, and I know little of C.  Still,
perhaps I can unpick the formats from your program or even compile
it in C --will earlyish versions of Borland's C or C++ do?

I was hoping for pointers to how a program finds icons in an .EXE
file --how they're stored & what you have to do to put one where
it'll be found.

--

In article <6g8elj$...@news3.newsguy.com>,
   wis...@norwich.net (dick Wisan) wrote:

>How would you incorporate a free-standing .ICO file so that Program
>Manager or an icon viewer would find it in your .EXE file?  What I
>really want to do is collect a lot of .ICO files into one .EXE or
>..DLL file, so my icon editor can find and view them?  The editor
>can look at .ICO, .EXE, and .DLL files.

Hi{*word*106}, use Resource Workshop (comes with BP7) and create a resource file.
Then add the icons to the RES file. Compile your exe with the compiler command
{$R FILENAME.RES}.

Cheers - Ulli -

===
"On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you!"

Ulli Conrad
ucon...@gmx.net
http://www.gwdg.de/~uconrad1
Public PGP-Key at http://www.gwdg.de/~uconrad1/upgpkey.asc

Re:Including icons in .EXE files

> >On April 5, 1998,{*word*106} Wisan wrote:
> >DW> How would you incorporate a free-standing .ICO file so that
> >DW> Program Manager or an icon viewer would find it in your .EXE file?
> >DW> What I really want to do is collect a lot of .ICO files into one
> >DW> .EXE or .DLL file, so my icon editor can find and view them?  The
> >DW> editor can look at .ICO, .EXE, and .DLL files.

> I'm no Windows programmer either, and I know little of C.  Still,
> perhaps I can unpick the formats from your program or even compile
> it in C --will earlyish versions of Borland's C or C++ do?

> I was hoping for pointers to how a program finds icons in an .EXE
> file --how they're stored & what you have to do to put one where
> it'll be found.

Sounds like you need to look at
http://hoboken.yhc.edu/mcug/win3x-dl/wi06003.html

The program is ICONJACK by Neil J Rubenking.  Comes with complete Delphi
source code and does just what it sounds like you want to do.

Cheers,
Lesetr

Re:Including icons in .EXE files

hello
i'm a bp for ms dos guy too(i have written an icon editor which can extract
icons from dll without running windows)
can you sent me a copy of this program
bye
mardirossian
the french riviera
Erik Anderson a crit dans le message <6g8pat$r6...@gte2.gte.net>...

On 6 Apr 1998,{*word*106} Wisan wrote:
DW> Postmaster at gte.net knows not white-fox, so let me reply here.

Argh! My signature file didn't attach itself at home otherwise you
would've know the right address (WhiteFox at gte.net). Sorry about
that.

--
Erik W. Anderson, GIS Analyst   WWW:    http://www.wa.gov/kitsap/
Kitsap County DCD/GIS           E-mail: e-ander...@co.kitsap.wa.us

The opinions expressed herein are my own and not that of Kitsap
County.

(to reply to this message, remove the dash from my username. I
apologize in advance for the inconvenience.)

Lester Hanger wrote:

> > >[snip]
> > I was hoping for pointers to how a program finds icons in an .EXE
> > file --how they're stored & what you have to do to put one where
> > it'll be found.

> Sounds like you need to look at
> http://hoboken.yhc.edu/mcug/win3x-dl/wi06003.html
> [snip]

If any of you have BP 7.0, you also have Resource Workshop.
This program should allow you to add icons (and other resources) to
your EXE files and inspect the resources of existing EXE's.
As for extracting resources, look in the help files (FindResource
and related functions).

Good hunting,

Remco
--

Remco Vietor                            Department of Chemistry
re...@chem.gla.ac.uk                       J. Black Building

Other Threads