Fast compression

Hi NG,

I tried some compression unit, that all base on LZH (Huffman) and the
appr. algorithms.

They all have one thing in commen: They are slow.

Alle haben eins gemeinsam: Sie sind qu?lend langsam.

Does someone know a compression unit that compresses with a useable
speed?

Thanks a lot in advance

Thomas Osthege

Re:Fast compression

> I tried some compression unit, that all base on LZH (Huffman) and the
> appr. algorithms.

I guess: a translation of LZHUF.C 1.0, by chance ?

> They all have one thing in commen: They are slow.
> Alle haben eins gemeinsam: Sie sind qu?lend langsam.
> Does someone know a compression unit that compresses with a useable
> speed?

Did you try zlib ? There are T/B-Pascal sources with ASM
-> http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

--
Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

Re:Fast compression

Thank you, I'll have a look at this.

Thomas
Gautier <gautier.demontmol...@maths.unine.ch> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
388F2386.119F1...@maths.unine.ch...
| > I tried some compression unit, that all base on LZH (Huffman) and
the
| > appr. algorithms.
|
| I guess: a translation of LZHUF.C 1.0, by chance ?
|
| > They all have one thing in commen: They are slow.
| > Alle haben eins gemeinsam: Sie sind qu?lend langsam.
|
| > Does someone know a compression unit that compresses with a useable
| > speed?
|
| Did you try zlib ? There are T/B-Pascal sources with ASM
| -> http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/
|
| --
| Gautier
|
| _____\\________________\_______\
| http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

Re:Fast compression

why would you want to use compression? unless you are using sound files, or
pictures (for which there are many compressins available already), you
shouldnt need compression.

- Thomas Osthege - <Thomas_Osth...@USA.net> wrote in message

> Hi NG,

> I tried some compression unit, that all base on LZH (Huffman) and the
> appr. algorithms.

> They all have one thing in commen: They are slow.

> Alle haben eins gemeinsam: Sie sind qu?lend langsam.

> Does someone know a compression unit that compresses with a useable
> speed?

> Thanks a lot in advance

> Thomas Osthege

Re:Fast compression

or just use assembler!

- Thomas Osthege - <Thomas_Osth...@USA.net> wrote in message

> Hi NG,

> I tried some compression unit, that all base on LZH (Huffman) and the
> appr. algorithms.

> They all have one thing in commen: They are slow.

> Alle haben eins gemeinsam: Sie sind qu?lend langsam.

> Does someone know a compression unit that compresses with a useable
> speed?

> Thanks a lot in advance

> Thomas Osthege

Re:Fast compression

Craig Hennessey wrote:
> why would you want to use compression?

To reduce the size of data, for example? That's what compression is all
about...

> unless you are using sound files, or
> pictures (for which there are many compressins available already), you
> shouldnt need compression.

Then, according to you, I can delete my pkzip program?

Come on, you can't be serious.

Re:Fast compression

Craig Hennessey wrote:
> or just use assembler!

Why? A good algorithm in Pascal is better than a bad one in assembly.

Re:Fast compression

In fact compression is used in many places throughout data processing.

Anyway, I wrote a program to save and restore files and directories with
long filenames, correct DOS filenames and all their attributes. This
program runs in a DOS box as well as under 32 bit DOS. I currently
distribute this program as freeware (http://welcome.to/XXCopy). I
thought it would be nice to add some enhancements like file compression
on a file by file basis to this program to make it even more useful.

That's the reason I was asking.

BTW sorry that a German sentence still appeared in my posting. And I
know it's common not commen.

Have a nice weekend

Thomas Osthege

Craig Hennessey <cr...@hennessey1.freeserve.co.uk> schrieb in im
Newsbeitrag: 86vk78$n5...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
| why would you want to use compression? unless you are using sound
files, or
| pictures (for which there are many compressins available already), you
| shouldnt need compression.

Other Threads