Importing Header info with ASCII import in Paradox

If this isn't the right Newsgroup to ask this question in please let me
know which one is.

According to the manual, and the help files, when an ASCII comma/quote
delimited text file is imported into Paradox it will use the first
record to determine the titles of the different fields.  I can't seem to
make it work.  Paradox imports the fields just fine but it puts the
"header record" as the first record instead of using it to name the
fields.  It uses "Field001" etc. as the title instead.

Can anyone tell me how to make Paradox use the imported text to
determine the field names?

Thanks,

Jonathan Eagle

Re:Importing Header info with ASCII import in Paradox

Jonathan,

Jonathan Eagle wrote:

> If this isn't the right Newsgroup to ask this question in please let me
> know which one is.

Since your question has to do with Paradox, the appropriate NG
would have been database.desktop.

> According to the manual, and the help files, when an ASCII comma/quote
> delimited text file is imported into Paradox it will use the first
> record to determine the titles of the different fields.  I can't seem

Where on earth did you see this? It's not in my D1, D2, D3, or D4
help files...

Look in your Delphi 1 Doc folder (on your CD if you have D2-D4).
You'll find a file called ASCIIDRV.TXT - it explains how to set
up a schema file to use with TBatchMove and a TTable of type
ttASCII to import into a second TTable of type .DB.

Ken
--
Ken White
kwh...@westelcom.com

Clipper Functions for Delphi
http://members.aol.com/clipfunc/

Jonathan Eagle <jcea...@ibm.net> wrote:
>If this isn't the right Newsgroup to ask this question in please let me
>know which one is.

Should use borland.public.delphi.database.desktop

>According to the manual, and the help files, when an ASCII comma/quote
>delimited text file is imported into Paradox it will use the first
>record to determine the titles of the different fields.

Huh?  Not in my manuals.  Are you confusing it with the ODBC Microsoft
Text Driver?

>I can't seem to make it work.  Paradox imports the fields just fine but
> it puts the "header record" as the first record instead of using it to
>name the fields.  It uses "Field001" etc. as the title instead.
>Can anyone tell me how to make Paradox use the imported text to
>determine the field names?

There are some components around which have this capability.  Some give
the user the option of editing or confirming field types.

If your ASCII data has a consistant format, you can make a .SCH schema
file for defining your field types.  Just remove the first line of your
data file before you open the table.

Other Threads