SQL - In search of a Search Engine for Delphi App 4.2

Friends in DelPhi,

I am looking for a very fast search engine for my Delphi Application.
Currently, I have about 5,000+ Documents written in various Text
editors (MS/Word, NotePad, WordPad, WP6.x, WP 7.x, and WP 8.x). I
build a Table in MS/SQL 6.5 to store a name of each document that
resides on disks somewhere in the server along with a brief
description of each documents. My application is designed to accept
user's search term. The search term will then be searched throughout
the 5000+ documents. Each time a document is found, its named is
located in the SQL table and put on the DBGRID. The user will click at
the DBGRID, The application then send that document to its native text
editor (ie. if the document is in MS/Word, then MS/Word.Basic is
called and passed the found document).

I did try Rich Text Format via TDBRICH stored directly to the table,
but the search cannot find the "search term".  here is my SQL:

Select * from human_doc_table where myrichtext_memo_field like "%all
men are borned equal%".

The above statement should return 54+ documents related "Civil
right/Human right" issues.

My goal is to store the 5000+documents as is into MS/SQL Text/Graphic
table instead of referencing them on disk via file name. This should
speedup the search effort.

Thanks for your help.

Re:SQL - In search of a Search Engine for Delphi App 4.2

Hello Toan!
Try these addresses:
DTSEARCH at http://www.dtsearch.com
RUBICON at http://www.tamaracka.com
Hope you success!
Csar.
Toan N wrote:
> Friends in DelPhi,

> I am looking for a very fast search engine for my Delphi Application.
> Currently, I have about 5,000+ Documents written in various Text
> editors (MS/Word, NotePad, WordPad, WP6.x, WP 7.x, and WP 8.x). I
> build a Table in MS/SQL 6.5 to store a name of each document that
> resides on disks somewhere in the server along with a brief
> description of each documents. My application is designed to accept
> user's search term. The search term will then be searched throughout
> the 5000+ documents. Each time a document is found, its named is
> located in the SQL table and put on the DBGRID. The user will click at
> the DBGRID, The application then send that document to its native text
> editor (ie. if the document is in MS/Word, then MS/Word.Basic is
> called and passed the found document).

> I did try Rich Text Format via TDBRICH stored directly to the table,
> but the search cannot find the "search term".  here is my SQL:

> Select * from human_doc_table where myrichtext_memo_field like "%all
> men are borned equal%".

> The above statement should return 54+ documents related "Civil
> right/Human right" issues.

> My goal is to store the 5000+documents as is into MS/SQL Text/Graphic
> table instead of referencing them on disk via file name. This should
> speedup the search effort.

> Thanks for your help.

Re:SQL - In search of a Search Engine for Delphi App 4.2

A really elegant solution to searching thousands of documents at truly
lightning speed is with an object database like TExpress.

Re:SQL - In search of a Search Engine for Delphi App 4.2

You might find it worthwhile to upgrade to MS SQL Server 7. I recall
that a full-text search engine is one of the new features. It seems to
me that a built-in facility for this kind of thing would be faster than
any third-party tool.

  Richard

Toan N wrote:

> I am looking for a very fast search engine for my Delphi Application.
> Currently, I have about 5,000+ Documents written in various Text
> editors (MS/Word, NotePad, WordPad, WP6.x, WP 7.x, and WP 8.x). I
> build a Table in MS/SQL 6.5 to store a name of each document that
> resides on disks somewhere in the server along with a brief
> description of each documents. My application is designed to accept
> user's search term. The search term will then be searched throughout
> the 5000+ documents. Each time a document is found, its named is
> located in the SQL table and put on the DBGRID. The user will click at
> the DBGRID, The application then send that document to its native text
> editor (ie. if the document is in MS/Word, then MS/Word.Basic is
> called and passed the found document).

Re:SQL - In search of a Search Engine for Delphi App 4.2

Thanks BigFoot,

I am looking at these sites now,

Toan

g...@bigfoot.com wrote in message <36D1C5DE.C4B5B...@bigfoot.com>...
>Hello Toan!
>Try these addresses:
>DTSEARCH at http://www.dtsearch.com
>RUBICON at http://www.tamaracka.com
>Hope you success!
>Csar.

>Toan N wrote:

>> Friends in DelPhi,

>> I am looking for a very fast search engine for my Delphi
Application.
>> Currently, I have about 5,000+ Documents written in various Text
>> editors (MS/Word, NotePad, WordPad, WP6.x, WP 7.x, and WP 8.x). I
>> build a Table in MS/SQL 6.5 to store a name of each document that
>> resides on disks somewhere in the server along with a brief
>> description of each documents. My application is designed to accept
>> user's search term. The search term will then be searched
throughout
>> the 5000+ documents. Each time a document is found, its named is
>> located in the SQL table and put on the DBGRID. The user will click
at
>> the DBGRID, The application then send that document to its native
text
>> editor (ie. if the document is in MS/Word, then MS/Word.Basic is
>> called and passed the found document).

>> I did try Rich Text Format via TDBRICH stored directly to the
table,
>> but the search cannot find the "search term".  here is my SQL:

>> Select * from human_doc_table where myrichtext_memo_field like
"%all
>> men are borned equal%".

>> The above statement should return 54+ documents related "Civil
>> right/Human right" issues.

>> My goal is to store the 5000+documents as is into MS/SQL
Text/Graphic
>> table instead of referencing them on disk via file name. This
should
>> speedup the search effort.

>> Thanks for your help.

Re:SQL - In search of a Search Engine for Delphi App 4.2

KSmith,

Where TExpress can be found ???
Thanks,

Toan

ksmith wrote in message <7ata5v$et...@samsara0.mindspring.com>...
>A really elegant solution to searching thousands of documents at
truly
>lightning speed is with an object database like TExpress.

Re:SQL - In search of a Search Engine for Delphi App 4.2

Rich,

I am looking into this solution too.

Thanks for responding.

Toan

Richard Biffl wrote in message <36D2348F.BB9D2...@tidalwave.net>...
>You might find it worthwhile to upgrade to MS SQL Server 7. I recall
>that a full-text search engine is one of the new features. It seems
>me that a built-in facility for this kind of thing would be faster
than
>any third-party tool.

>  Richard

>Toan N wrote:

>> I am looking for a very fast search engine for my Delphi
Application.
>> Currently, I have about 5,000+ Documents written in various Text
>> editors (MS/Word, NotePad, WordPad, WP6.x, WP 7.x, and WP 8.x). I
>> build a Table in MS/SQL 6.5 to store a name of each document that
>> resides on disks somewhere in the server along with a brief
>> description of each documents. My application is designed to accept
>> user's search term. The search term will then be searched
throughout
>> the 5000+ documents. Each time a document is found, its named is
>> located in the SQL table and put on the DBGRID. The user will click
at
>> the DBGRID, The application then send that document to its native
text
>> editor (ie. if the document is in MS/Word, then MS/Word.Basic is
>> called and passed the found document).

Other Threads