TCP/IP vice Name Pipes

All;

    Need some help in configuring the BDE to use TCP/IP with MS-SQL Server.
I've done it in Interbase, but how do you do it with MS-SQL Server?

Dean Jones
Personal Tech Software

Re:TCP/IP vice Name Pipes

>     Need some help in configuring the BDE to use TCP/IP with MS-SQL
Server.
> I've done it in Interbase, but how do you do it with MS-SQL Server?

You don't need to configure the BDE at all; the BDE (actually SQL Links)
talks to the MS-SQL client software on the local workstation.  You need to
configure the MS-SQL client software to talk to the MS-SQL server using the
protocol of your choice.  Depending on the version of SQL server you are
using you'll run either the client configuration utility or client network
utility.

-Mike

Re:TCP/IP vice Name Pipes

In article <819q9s$ev...@forums.borland.com>, Dean Jones wrote:
> All;

>     Need some help in configuring the BDE to use TCP/IP with MS-SQL Server.
> I've done it in Interbase, but how do you do it with MS-SQL Server?

1) make sure you have the tcp/ip network stuff loaded on you SQL server. You
may have to run the setup program again to add it.

2) on your client machines, run the client configuration utility and change
it from using named pipes to tcp/ip.

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

Re:TCP/IP vice Name Pipes

And you'll do well to create a conection string on the client workstations so
that it points explicitly to the server required.

Dean Jones wrote:
> All;

>     Need some help in configuring the BDE to use TCP/IP with MS-SQL Server.
> I've done it in Interbase, but how do you do it with MS-SQL Server?

> Dean Jones
> Personal Tech Software

  normanm.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:TCP/IP vice Name Pipes

Norman;

 What do you mean a connection string on the clients.  My clients are
accessing MS-SQL via borlands BDE.  Is there something else on the clients
that I need to worry about?

Delphi 4/MS-SQL 6.5

Dean Jones
Personal Tech software

Norman McFarlane <norm...@global.co.za> wrote in message

> And you'll do well to create a conection string on the client workstations
so
> that it points explicitly to the server required.

> Dean Jones wrote:

> > All;

> >     Need some help in configuring the BDE to use TCP/IP with MS-SQL
Server.
> > I've done it in Interbase, but how do you do it with MS-SQL Server?

> > Dean Jones
> > Personal Tech Software

Re:TCP/IP vice Name Pipes

Hi Dean

When connecting to a SQL7/6.5 database from the BDE,  if you choose to use SQL
Links, ie the MSSQL driver, it uses the "sqlmss32.dll" driver.  This in turn
communicates with the "Ntwdblib.dll" - the SQL DBLib driver.  Depending on the
"Default Network Library" setting defined in the "Client Network Utilities",
this DLL will use one of the following underlying network drivers to deliver
data between client and server:

Named Pipes   :DBNMPNTW.DLL
TCP/IP            :DBMSSOCN.DLL
MultiProtocol   :DBMSRPCN.DLL
IPX/SPX         :DBMSSPXN.DLL
AppleTalk       :DBMSADSN.DLL
BanyanVines   :DBMSVINN.DLL

These files, and the "Client Network Utilities" are placed on your client
workstation by installing the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components). On the
SQL 7 CD the setup file is called mdac_typ.exe.

hope this helps (hope it is correct ?)

Ian

Dean Jones wrote:
> Norman;

>  What do you mean a connection string on the clients.  My clients are
> accessing MS-SQL via borlands BDE.  Is there something else on the clients
> that I need to worry about?

> Delphi 4/MS-SQL 6.5

> Dean Jones
> Personal Tech software
> Norman McFarlane <norm...@global.co.za> wrote in message
> > And you'll do well to create a conection string on the client workstations
> so
> > that it points explicitly to the server required.

> > Dean Jones wrote:

> > > All;

> > >     Need some help in configuring the BDE to use TCP/IP with MS-SQL
> Server.
> > > I've done it in Interbase, but how do you do it with MS-SQL Server?

> > > Dean Jones
> > > Personal Tech Software

Other Threads