Reading Database from CD-ROM

Hi!

I'm currently working on a project. It requires to read Delphi 1.0
paradox database files from CD-ROM. My question is: Is it possible? Can
my application in read-only mode read the database information/tables
without any problems from a CD-ROM? Has anybody had any experience with
this?

Thanks!

Thomas Jaeger
CZAR Software
http://www.czar.com

Re:Reading Database from CD-ROM

Thomas - You can do it.

I think it was Anders Melanders that gave me the solution - look in
DEJANEWS for more info.

Put a .LCK file on the CD. It tricks the BDE. :-)

Borland has a TI note about it. Check their WEB page. A link is on our
site if you don't know theirs....

--
___________________
Regards,

WEB page: http://mindlink.net/amber_computer/
Components Page: http://mindlink.net/amber_computer/comp01.htm

ASAP-RTS Manufacturing Scheduling and shop floor data collection with
bar coding, and product tagging.
Databases from directories - an OCR and Scanning system to create
marketing databases from directories.

Re:Reading Database from CD-ROM

> >I'm currently working on a project. It requires to read Delphi 1.0
> >paradox database files from CD-ROM. My question is: Is it possible? Can
> >my application in read-only mode read the database information/tables
> >without any problems from a CD-ROM? Has anybody had any experience with
> >this?
> Yes. There is a FAQ or a TI about this, but the bottom line is that there
> needs to be a file called PDOXUSRS.LCK in the data directory on the CDRom.
>  It will not be written to if you are only opening tables read-only, but
> the engine will still try to create it if one doesn't already exist.
> That's why you need to provide one.

Thank you for your help. I will try to get that FAQ file.

Dave Robinson wrote:

> Thomas - You can do it.

> I think it was Anders Melanders that gave me the solution - look in
> DEJANEWS for more info.

> Put a .LCK file on the CD. It tricks the BDE. :-)

> Borland has a TI note about it. Check their WEB page. A link is on our
> site if you don't know theirs....

> Thomas Jaeger wrote:

> > Hi!

> > I'm currently working on a project. It requires to read Delphi 1.0
> > paradox database files from CD-ROM. My question is: Is it possible? Can
> > my application in read-only mode read the database information/tables
> > without any problems from a CD-ROM? Has anybody had any experience with
> > this?

Thank you for your help! I'll try to locate that tech file.

Re:Reading Database from CD-ROM

jefsumm...@aol.com wrote:
>>I'm currently working on a project. It requires to read Delphi 1.0
>>paradox database files from CD-ROM. My question is: Is it possible? Can
>>my application in read-only mode read the database information/tables
>>without any problems from a CD-ROM? Has anybody had any experience with
>>this?
>Yes. There is a FAQ or a TI about this, but the bottom line is that there
>needs to be a file called PDOXUSRS.LCK in the data directory on the CDRom.
> It will not be written to if you are only opening tables read-only, but
>the engine will still try to create it if one doesn't already exist.
>That's why you need to provide one.

1) Locate the PARADOX.LCK and PDOXUSRS.LCK files somewhere on your
Delphi CD (in the runimage\demos\data directory) and copy them with
your own paradox tables to your CD. The lock files must be in the same
directory as the paradox tables.

or

2) Read the TI3104 from Borland describing what to do:
http://loki.borland.com/winbin/bds.exe?getdoc+3104+Delphi

or

3) Search DejaNews for the keywords Delphi, Paradox and CDROM.

+--------------------from usenet----------------------+
|  Anders Bo Melander    | Phone: (+45) 31 87 91 26   |
|  Finsensvej 79, 2. tv. | mailto:a...@biocat.ruc.dk  |
|  DK-2000 Frederiksberg | flameto:bi...@microsoft.com|
|  Denmark               | (This space for rent :-)   |
+------------------------+----------------------------+
| http://ftp.frontier.dk/public/Delphi2/tbedit01.html |

Re:Reading Database from CD-ROM

Anders, on a somewhat different topic. What are the best tools for creating
a CD-ROM for my application? I have a client that wants me to create
several CD-ROMs, because of this, is there a way to copy from CD-ROM to
CD-ROM?

Scott Simonson from Franklin WI
 EMail:    sco...@execpc.com
 Web Page: http://www.execpc.com/~scoots

GO Marquette Golden Eagles
 '96 NCAA Basketball Championship selection team
Go Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers in 96-97

Anders Melander <a...@biocat.ruc.dk> wrote in article
<32d435bc.2585...@news.uni-c.dk>...

"Scott Simonson" <sco...@execpc.com> wrote:
> Anders, on a somewhat different topic. What are the best tools for
> creating a CD-ROM for my application?

I assume that by "tools" you mean software. I'm sorry to say that I
have found no CD mastering software that I can recommend (and I have
tried a few...). They all have their pros and cons. I suggest that
you look at the web sites of some of the major computer magazines
for tests and reviews of CDR's and mastering software. I think that
PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com/pcmag.htm) did a review some time
ago.

> I have a client that wants me to create several CD-ROMs, because of
> this, is there a way to copy from CD-ROM to CD-ROM? --

How many copies does your client need? It is fairly expensive to use
a CDR for anything but mastering.
All of the software I have used can make an "identical" copy of a CD,
usually by reading all the tracks of the source CD onto a file on
disk.
If both your CDR and the source CD-ROM is on a SCSI bus, you should
be able to do it without an creating an image file first (direct
CD-reader to CD-recorder copy).