Accessing a TQuery or TTable against Paradox Db from two different machines on a network

Hello All,

I am having a problem with data being seen on one computer, when a user
enters it on another computer.  I have tried both a TTable and a TQuery
object without success.  Heres what I have.

Paradox table called StockItems.db
Both computers use the same database located on computer a.  When my
application starts, it sets the session->NetDir to the location of the
database so that both computer's application can access it.  This works
fine.  The problem is if computer A updates a record, computer b does not
see it at all.  I have tried to close and reopen the TQuery object, but this
still does not get the updates.  Yes, when computer A updated the record, it
did so in the context of a database transaction and the Commit() was called.
It seems that the only way computer be gets to see the update is if they
close the application and restart it.

My question is what the heck is going on here?  I mean, why can't the
updates be seen unless the application is closed and then reopened.  I
thought at first it might be the TQuery object on computer A did not flush
it's cache after the transaction, so I decided to use a TTable object
instead, but I have the same problem.

Thanks,

James

Re:Accessing a TQuery or TTable against Paradox Db from two different machines on a network

James Williams wrote:

> I am having a problem with data being seen on one computer, when a
> user
> enters it on another computer.  I have tried both a TTable and a
> TQuery
> object without success.  Heres what I have.

Sounds like a LOCALSHARE issue. If your LOCALSHARE setting in BDE is set
to FALSE, try setting it to TRUE. BDE uses a write cache which can lead
to the troubles you experience. Setting LOCALSHARE to TRUE defeats the
write cache.
Every creator painfully experiences the chasm between his inner vision
and its ultimate expression.

Isaac Bashevis, Singer, writer, Nobel laureate (1904-1991)

Re:Accessing a TQuery or TTable against Paradox Db from two different machines on a network

Make sure the BDE is configured as described in
http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,15247,00.html. You will need to
close and reopen the query to see changes.

--
Bill