USA.BTL vs USA.BLL - Doesn't anyone have an answer?

What is this file used for?  I have a registry entry,
HKLM\Software\Borland\BLW32\Locale_Lib1=D:\Program Files\Borland\Common
Files\BDE\USA.BTL, created by one application and another,
HKLM\Software\Borland\BLW32\Locale_Lib1=T:\wintapps\wp8_new\Shared\IDAPI\USA
.BLL.  My questions are:

1)  What are the differences between usa.btl and usa.bll
2)  I need to use the reference to the usa.btl for a particular application
to work, what kind of effect could this have on other applications?

--
James Gira
Loyola University Chicago

Re:USA.BTL vs USA.BLL - Doesn't anyone have an answer?

Since you have not gotten an answer from any BDE experts, I'll share
what I have observed.  But note that I am not especially knowledgable
about BDE issues.

On my computer I have both USA.BTL and USA.BLL.  In fact I have several
.btl and .bll files, and all .bll files are from 1997 and the .btl files
are from 1998.  My conclusion is that the .bll files are the language
files from an old version of the BDE, and the newer version of the BDE
(5.0 or greater?) uses .btl files.

Since the BDE is supposed to be backwards compatible, all your
applications should work fine using the newest version of the BDE and
the .btl files.  There should not be any impact on older applications
changing all files and registry entries to *.btl.  (I have not had any
problems with applications -even a complicated one that was written in
Delphi 2 works fine with the .btl version of the BDE.)

Hope this helps,  Brian

James Gira wrote:

> What is this file used for?  I have a registry entry,
> HKLM\Software\Borland\BLW32\Locale_Lib1=D:\Program Files\Borland\Common
> Files\BDE\USA.BTL, created by one application and another,
> HKLM\Software\Borland\BLW32\Locale_Lib1=T:\wintapps\wp8_new\Shared\IDAPI\USA
> .BLL.  My questions are:

> 1)  What are the differences between usa.btl and usa.bll
> 2)  I need to use the reference to the usa.btl for a particular application
> to work, what kind of effect could this have on other applications?

> --
> James Gira
> Loyola University Chicago
> jg...@luc.edu