D4 bug w/ MSSQL 6.5 and memo fields

Dear Anyone,

I have a simple reproducable-on-demand bug that I really need a work around
for. If anyone has a few minutes to verify or deny this problem , I'd really
appreciate your time.

The bug is identical through ODBC or SQLLinks.

I have a table in SQLServer that has a memo field (It's just a TEXT field -
it's not keyed, referenced, constrained, slimed or slithered in any way).

When I use just a ttable component, all fields get updated fine when I post.
When I use a TQuery/upadteSQL component, the memo fields in the database get
NULLed out when updates are done. All other fields are updated fine. The memo
fields are referenced correctly in the updateSQL text.

I have this narrowed down to a codeless example (except for applying updates
for the query in a button click) so I really don't think it's because I did
or not do anything.

Obviously the work-around is to use ttables - but YUK! I'm smack in the
middle of building something fairly hairy and I really hate the thought of
using ttables. It's just sooooo.....Btrieve-ish, y'know?

Curt Tabor

Re:D4 bug w/ MSSQL 6.5 and memo fields

Using a table that IS keyed and identitied, (
which is all I had lying around)
Apply updates and tupdatesql.apply both work
as does query1.requestlive.  Both for one and mutliple
memofield updates.

Curt Tabor wrote in message <35AEA116.9B12...@home.com>...
>Dear Anyone,

>I have a simple reproducable-on-demand bug that I really need a work around
>for. If anyone has a few minutes to verify or deny this problem , I'd
really
>appreciate your time.

>The bug is identical through ODBC or SQLLinks.

>I have a table in SQLServer that has a memo field (It's just a TEXT field -
>it's not keyed, referenced, constrained, slimed or slithered in any way).

>When I use just a ttable component, all fields get updated fine when I
post.
>When I use a TQuery/upadteSQL component, the memo fields in the database
get
>NULLed out when updates are done. All other fields are updated fine. The
memo
>fields are referenced correctly in the updateSQL text.

>I have this narrowed down to a codeless example (except for applying
updates
>for the query in a button click) so I really don't think it's because I did
>or not do anything.

>Obviously the work-around is to use ttables - but YUK! I'm smack in the
>middle of building something fairly hairy and I really hate the thought of
>using ttables. It's just sooooo.....Btrieve-ish, y'know?

>Curt Tabor

Re:D4 bug w/ MSSQL 6.5 and memo fields

Hi Curt
I think I've managed to sort it.

Try this and let me know if it works.

Double click on your TUpdate component and in the left hand column select
the key fields (I've only got two), then in the right hand column select all
fields.  (I need this so that new records get the key fields inserted).
Click on the Generate SQL button, and then click on the SQL Tab.  In the
modify SQL statement, REMOVE the two lines refering to the key fields.
Click on OK.

Now try that and see if it works.

Regards
Stewart Page

Curt Tabor wrote in message <35AEA116.9B12...@home.com>...
>Dear Anyone,

>I have a simple reproducable-on-demand bug that I really need a work around
>for. If anyone has a few minutes to verify or deny this problem , I'd
really
>appreciate your time.

>The bug is identical through ODBC or SQLLinks.

>I have a table in SQLServer that has a memo field (It's just a TEXT field -
>it's not keyed, referenced, constrained, slimed or slithered in any way).

>When I use just a ttable component, all fields get updated fine when I
post.
>When I use a TQuery/upadteSQL component, the memo fields in the database
get
>NULLed out when updates are done. All other fields are updated fine. The
memo
>fields are referenced correctly in the updateSQL text.

>I have this narrowed down to a codeless example (except for applying
updates
>for the query in a button click) so I really don't think it's because I did
>or not do anything.

>Obviously the work-around is to use ttables - but YUK! I'm smack in the
>middle of building something fairly hairy and I really hate the thought of
>using ttables. It's just sooooo.....Btrieve-ish, y'know?

>Curt Tabor

Re:D4 bug w/ MSSQL 6.5 and memo fields

Load Service Pack 4 for SQL Server. It will solve the problem

>Curt Tabor wrote in message <35AEA116.9B12...@home.com>...
>>Dear Anyone,

>>I have a simple reproducable-on-demand bug that I really need a work
around
>>for. If anyone has a few minutes to verify or deny this problem , I'd
>really
>>appreciate your time.

>>The bug is identical through ODBC or SQLLinks.

>>I have a table in SQLServer that has a memo field (It's just a TEXT
field -
>>it's not keyed, referenced, constrained, slimed or slithered in any way).

>>When I use just a ttable component, all fields get updated fine when I
>post.
>>When I use a TQuery/upadteSQL component, the memo fields in the database
>get
>>NULLed out when updates are done. All other fields are updated fine. The
>memo
>>fields are referenced correctly in the updateSQL text.

>>I have this narrowed down to a codeless example (except for applying
>updates
>>for the query in a button click) so I really don't think it's because I
did
>>or not do anything.

>>Obviously the work-around is to use ttables - but YUK! I'm smack in the
>>middle of building something fairly hairy and I really hate the thought of
>>using ttables. It's just sooooo.....Btrieve-ish, y'know?

>>Curt Tabor

Re:D4 bug w/ MSSQL 6.5 and memo fields

Hi Paul,

I have SQL Server with Service Pack 4, but I can't to work with Text and
identity fields in the same table.

Andrey Welmer
andr...@rn.senac.br
Natal, RN / Brazil
Sorry about the english

Paul Luter <plu...@pragma.co.za> escreveu no artigo
<6ps2jv$mk...@forums.borland.com>...

> Load Service Pack 4 for SQL Server. It will solve the problem

> >Curt Tabor wrote in message <35AEA116.9B12...@home.com>...
> >>Dear Anyone,

> >>I have a simple reproducable-on-demand bug that I really need a work
> around
> >>for. If anyone has a few minutes to verify or deny this problem , I'd
> >really
> >>appreciate your time.

> >>The bug is identical through ODBC or SQLLinks.

> >>I have a table in SQLServer that has a memo field (It's just a TEXT
> field -
> >>it's not keyed, referenced, constrained, slimed or slithered in any
way).

> >>When I use just a ttable component, all fields get updated fine when I
> >post.
> >>When I use a TQuery/upadteSQL component, the memo fields in the
database
> >get
> >>NULLed out when updates are done. All other fields are updated fine.
The
> >memo
> >>fields are referenced correctly in the updateSQL text.

> >>I have this narrowed down to a codeless example (except for applying
> >updates
> >>for the query in a button click) so I really don't think it's because I
> did
> >>or not do anything.

> >>Obviously the work-around is to use ttables - but YUK! I'm smack in the
> >>middle of building something fairly hairy and I really hate the thought
of
> >>using ttables. It's just sooooo.....Btrieve-ish, y'know?

> >>Curt Tabor

Other Threads