Re: The performance of WinForms is terrible

"Tim Anderson" writes:

www.itwriting.com/dotnetmem.php
Thanks for the link, I had read your article and needed a memory jolt to
recall it.
though note the Task Manager has changed a little in Vista.
Seems like a lot to me...
The figures are pretty much what they say they are. The private working
set is particularly important, as this memory cannot be shared by other
apps. So if you have a few apps running each with 50MB private working
set, it won't be long before Windows starts swapping memory to disk, and
this is what hits performance.
On my machine Windows is more or less always swapping stuff to disk
especially when switching tasks. But that doesn't necessarily mean that
running multiple WPF apps will bring it to it is knees. Let's not forget that
as WPF becomes more popular over the next few years more memory and higher
speed HDs will become common as will things like Vista and ReadyBoost etc.
Or as they say about the weather, there ain't a whole hellva lot you can do
about it.
IMO on XP there is a more likely performance problem with how WPF apps share
the video GPU hardware, only one at a time while the others do it all in
software.

Re: The performance of WinForms is terrible

"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Let's not forget that as WPF becomes more popular over the next few years
more memory and higher speed HDs will become common as will things like
Vista and ReadyBoost etc. Or as they say about the weather, there ain't a
whole hellva lot you can do about it.
There isn't much you or I can do about it; but, errm, OS vendors could code
more efficiently.
As you say, if the hardware is there most people don't care.
Tim

Re: The performance of WinForms is terrible

Hi!
Wouldn't we all like for our apps to fit into 16K memory space as in the
good old days? But I have run 2-3 WPF apps at one time along with other
stuff and they ran just fine so don't know why you feel so pessimistic
based on what you see in Task Manager, I have never found those numbers too
meaningful but if you can explain to me exactly what they mean and how
they will predict the disappointing performance you are prophesizing it
would be appreciated.
What would be really cool is WPF like implementation done by Delphi.W32
that would most probably consume about 15x less memory. The concept
is not that hard to grasp... That woud allow you to use WPF also for
commercial desktop applications...
Regards!
Atmapuri

Atmapuri writes:
What would be really cool is WPF like implementation done by
Delphi.W32 that would most probably consume about 15x less memory.
You are really over simplifying things if you think so.
The concept is not that hard to grasp... That woud allow you to use
WPF also for commercial desktop applications...
WPF will be used for commercial desktop apps.
www.KudzuWorld.com/
Need a professional technical speaker at your event? See www.woo-hoo.net