Danny is leaving Microsoft...

2007-10-06 03:03:58 PM
delphi62
On his "Momentary Gouts of Reason" blog, Danny have posted that he's
leaving Microsoft to go on a new venture at CoolIris. He will be bloging
from his own site in the near future: www.dannythorpe.com
-Kurt

Re:Danny is leaving Microsoft...

Kurt Bilde writes:
Danny have posted that he's leaving Microsoft
Could this be the demise of Windows Live?
Sorry.. couldn't resist.. <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:Danny is leaving Microsoft...

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]"
Kurt Bilde writes:

>Danny have posted that he's leaving Microsoft

Could this be the demise of Windows Live?
Hmm - doesn't sound like Danny thinks so...
blogs.msdn.com/dthorpe/archive/2007/10/05/leaving-microsoft.aspx
"While I will be leaving the Microsoft payroll, I won't be leaving the
Windows Live arena. I am moving from the service producer to the service
consumer side of the field. CoolIris will quickly need user logins, address
books, photos, and storage, and I will certainly make sure they are aware of
Windows Live's service offerings."

Sorry.. couldn't resist.. <g>
Nor could I... <G>

Re:Danny is leaving Microsoft...

I.P. Nichols writes:
I'm moving from the service producer to the service consumer side of
the field
I'm sure he's still on the consumer side of Delphi, too <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" writes:
I.P. Nichols writes:

>I'm moving from the service producer to the service consumer side of
>the field

I'm sure he's still on the consumer side of Delphi, too <g>
"...my next gig will be at CoolIris, building browser plugins that are one
part eye candy an two parts antimatter disrupter."
So you think it is likely they use Delphi to build their browser plugins??

Kurt Bilde writes:
On his "Momentary Gouts of Reason" blog, Danny have posted that he's
leaving Microsoft to go on a new venture at CoolIris. He will be bloging
from his own site in the near future: www.dannythorpe.com

Cool! I just stumbled across a Safari plugin of them, yesterday.
It lets me watch all images on a site as a full screen slide show. Very cool, IMO. :-)
However, I cannot see them move to something as MS-depended as Windows Live.
Considering that they support Safari & Firefox, but not MS' interpretation of the word "browser". ;-)

Robert Giesecke writes:
Live.
Considering that they support Safari & Firefox, but not MS'
interpretation of the word "browser". ;-)
Oh, I just saw that they do support IE, but Windows Live still doesn't fit into it.

Robert Giesecke writes:
However, I cannot see them move to something as MS-depended as
Windows Live.
Why not? Using a particular vendor's web service does not require
exclusivity. We can show photos from Flickr or photos from Windows
Live Spaces, doesn't make any difference to us.
Convenience to the customer means using the service clouds that the
customer has chosen to affiliate with. That means it is in our
(Cooliris) best interest to tap into as many service clouds as we can:
Windows Live, Yahoo, Google, Flickr, PhotoBucket, etc.
-Danny
--
Discover More with CoolIris: www.cooliris.com

Danny Thorpe writes:
Robert Giesecke writes:

>However, I cannot see them move to something as MS-depended as
>Windows Live.

Why not? Using a particular vendor's web service does not require
exclusivity. We can show photos from Flickr or photos from Windows
Live Spaces, doesn't make any difference to us.

Convenience to the customer means using the service clouds that the
customer has chosen to affiliate with. That means it is in our
(Cooliris) best interest to tap into as many service clouds as we can:
Windows Live, Yahoo, Google, Flickr, PhotoBucket, etc.

Ok, makes sense. ;-)
btw: Do you work on PicLens/Safari, too? This seems to be a pretty awesome thing! :-)

Re:Danny is leaving Microsoft...

Danny Thorpe writes:
...a lot of cool stuff...

Will check on you guys regularly, then! :-)
Cheers,
Robert

Re:Danny is leaving Microsoft...

First of all, Danny, I am _very_ glad to see you here... :-)
...but let's start a little 'short story' (dunno if you remember them) ;-)...
Danny Thorpe writes:
Robert Giesecke writes:

>btw: Do you work on PicLens/Safari, too? This seems to be a pretty
>awesome thing! :-)

Yes, I am now working on core infrastructure for the PicLens plugin in
its plethora of browser/platform combinations: IE/Windows,
Firefox/Windows, and Safari/Mac. Firefox/Mac is on the horizon and
Firefox/Linux is on the wish list. We'll see how cross-platform
Firefox's plugin API really is when we start building the Firefox
plugin for Mac. If that goes as smoothly as we hope, then Firefox/Linux
shouldn't be too far out.

You forgot Opera. But, imho, you forget other thing, *much* more important:
You are a compiler guy. (At least from Delphi 1 since I know you, IIRC). God knows if
you are good or bad, but definitely you are a compiler guy, imho.
My son, WHAT are you doing out there??? Looked at cooliris.com - just cool, but
com'on Danny, browser plug-ins? Isn't, of course, something bad per se (in fact not
at all), but, again, AFAIK you, doesn't fit to your way of being. Some small
recommendations: 1. open your browser 2. type in www.codegear.com 3. Choose from the
menu 'About Us | Jobs' 4. Follow the instructions on screen. :-) I am pretty sure that
there's something for you. (A R&D engineer perhaps? ;-) - as you were in D2
times?...) Then you will find your peace of mind, imho. Or, more directly, speak with
Allen. Just my 2cents, you know...
Meanwhile, we have another 'short story' for you. :-) See the 'Delphi is Ranked #2'
thread where the discussion rapidly 'degenerated' in a mixin/traits discussion. Have
a look and drop some notes there... I know that you can do it.
Safari will be a new one for me - new browser and new OS. The last
Apple hardware I wrote code for was the Apple II+! (in ApplePascal,
running on a Z80 add-in card, I think)

It's not a cold start, though, since the CTO is a Mac nut.

Not a cold start?? :-) What about a Delphi cross-compiler for MacOSX? The guys around
here are very 'interested' in such a beast ;-)... And you will leverage your knowledge
on ApplePascal, isn't? :-)
Work on the core is under way even while parts of the product's UI and
workflow are still being conceptualized and sorted out. Some services
you just have to have no matter what the UI is doing! ;>

Yeah, right. What just I have told you? You are a core compiler guy at your very core.
-Danny

p.s. The new blog is up! dannythorpe.com

Yeah, wish you good luck!
Anyway, very good relief to see you back! The actual team is _very_ good (I humbly
hope that they don't read this <g>) but not very communicative sometimes and a little
bit scared by SOX & other things... OTOH, they are good at work and there are very
great ideas to implement and a _lot_ to work to do. Can you respond (at least
partial) to the provocation? :-)
All the best wishes,
--
m. th.

Danny Thorpe writes:
>Yes, I am now working on core infrastructure for the PicLens plugin
>in its plethora of browser/platform combinations: IE/Windows,
>Firefox/Windows, and Safari/Mac. Firefox/Mac is on the horizon and
>Firefox/Linux is on the wish list.

You forgot Opera.
It's a little difficult to build plugins for a browser that doesn't
support plugins, wouldn't you agree?
But, imho, you forget other thing, much more
important:

You are a compiler guy. (At least from Delphi 1 since I know you,
IIRC). God knows if you are good or bad, but definitely you are a
compiler guy, imho.`
Your memory transcends delerium, or you have been grossly misinformed.
I did not begin dabbling in the Delphi compiler code until around
Delphi 5, after there was no one left to work on the compiler. I saw a
vacancy, and I stepped into it. While it is true that I had passion
and vision for where the Delphi language could be taken, and some small
success in working on the compiler, that is only a partial truth, a
selective filter in the eye of idolatry.
The whole truth is that I have worked on a wide variety of stuff in
Delphi and outside of Delphi, moving from one technology area to
another by "following my nose" ala Alice in Wonderland. For as many
areas as I have dug into in software, there are twice as many creative
outlets I tinker with outside of software: woodworking, metallurgy,
ceramic flux chemistry, cider making, and other fields that blend
science and art.
One of the worst things you can do to a creative person is brand them
with a label. A label is the kiss of death for cross-discipline
creativity.
I left Borland and Delphi not for lack of interesting things to
investigate next, but because I was no longer allowed to follow my nose
to explore new directions. In achieving small successes with the
compiler, I received the "compiler guy" label, and was suddenly too
valuable to the project to be allowed to work on anything else. At the
same time, Borland corporate made it clear that while the company was
burning down around us it had no interest whatsoever in investing in
Delphi to push the envelope and advance Delphi's thought leadership
postion in the tools industry. So even within the compiler coffin,
there was no room to breathe.
Even in a brief discussion concerning my getting involved with the
tools group spinoff later retracted to Borland subsidiary, the only
thing Borland brought to the table was the "compiler guy" label. Why
would I return to the cage I had just mustered the courage to escape?

My son, WHAT are you doing out there??? Looked at cooliris.com - just
cool, but com'on Danny, browser plug-ins? Isn't, of course, something
bad per se (in fact not at all), but, again, AFAIK you, doesn't fit
to your way of being.
I'm following my passion and fulfilling my need to grow and evolve.
Clearly, that does not fit the guilded cage you imagine for me.
Clearly, you don't know me.
Some small recommendations: 1. open your
browser 2. type in www.codegear.com 3. Choose from the menu 'About Us
| Jobs' 4. Follow the instructions on screen. :-) I am pretty sure
that there's something for you. (A R&D engineer perhaps? ;-) - as you
were in D2 times?...) Then you will find your peace of mind, imho. Or,
more directly, speak with Allen. Just my 2cents, you know...
An invitation to roll back time - you are truly generous! Ah, to be
20something again. To be a wide-eyed junior engineer working with
Anders and Chuck, Gary and Zack and even Philippe, redefining the
development tools playing field in perilous and exciting new directions.
Very tempting, your offer. Doubt it, I do. 20something, I am not.
Borland of 1990, Codegear is not.
Time marches on. So shall I.
-Danny
--
Architect of Disruption: dannythorpe.com

Danny Thorpe writes:
>You forgot Opera.

It's a little difficult to build plugins for a browser that doesn't
support plugins, wouldn't you agree?
I'd call it a challenge. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

Re:Danny is leaving Microsoft...

"Danny Thorpe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Borland of 1990, Codegear is not.
Alas, you can never go home. Especially in the world of software
development. Whenever a critical mass of unusually gifted individuals forms,
it is always dispelled as soon as second-hand executives and/or venture
capitalists get hold of the reins. I have seen that pattern repeated too many
times for it to be mere coincidence.

Re:Danny is leaving Microsoft...

Danny Thorpe writes:
Time marches on. So shall I.