Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
I wonder how many people would be willing to buy a Win32 ECO-type product?
I think the an equally relevant question is *how much* would people pay
for a W32 ECO.
--
Robin.
<disclaimer>Not an expert </disclaimer>

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
It seems that something
like an ECO for Win32 could be built on something like RemObjects in
a few more weeks.
It seems that you're missing about 90% of what ECO has if you think it
will take a few weeks.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:43614158$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:

>It seems that something
>like an ECO for Win32 could be built on something like RemObjects in
>a few more weeks.

It seems that you're missing about 90% of what ECO has if you think it
will take a few weeks.

Offer him a fixed price contract!

Larry Drews writes:
Offer him a fixed price contract!
LOL. But the phrase "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Closer to the truth: "You pay for what you get."
Unfortunately, on this planet you don't always get what you pay for.
Dan <back into lurking mode>
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

<43614158$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
It seems that you're missing about 90% of what ECO has if you think it
will take a few weeks.
several points:
1) we may have different definitions of "something like ECO for Win32". I am not
talking about a perfect clone of ECO for Win32. I am talking about a UML design
tool and object persistence framework that lets the user use UML to design his
classes and objects and generates code and database metadata to embody that
design. That is "something like ECO".
2) we may have different definitions of a "few weeks". I am thinking 12-16 for
the basic coding of the base, to get something that lets you use UML class
diagrams to construct objects that are persistent, transaction-based and can
validate themselves. All the bells and whistles that ECO has? No, that takes a
lot longer, but I am not entirely sure they are absolute necessities either.
In any event, my idea is for something a little less comprehensive and complex,
at least to start out. I have long thought it would be nice to build an OPF that
integrates nicely with a UML design tool and sell it at a price spot that is
good for the types of developers that buy Delphi Pro. Kind of like what
Alessandro did for object remoting with RemObjects. That was a stroke of
genius, and it looks like it was a good way to become independent too.
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 1.0.4.1334

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Larry Drews <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Offer him a fixed price contract!
I suspect he is talking about ECO for Win32, while I am talking about something
like ECO.
I've often wondered why RemObjects and ModelMaker don't team up to create
something like ECO for the middle range developers that buy Delphi Pro. They
could clean up.
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 1.0.4.1334

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<43614a99$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
But the phrase "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.
Which is why there is no ECO for Win32 and apparently won't be? Borland would
have already paid for someone to do this if they had wanted it done.
Still though, if I find I have the time*, I think I will look into what it would
take to write a UML-designed OPF that can handle transactions and constraints.
I bet such a thing could sell a few copies.
*I'm just about done getting JSN ready for its 1.0 debut.
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 1.0.4.1334

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
Which is why there is no ECO for Win32 and apparently won't be?
Borland would have already paid for someone to do this if they had
wanted it done.
ECO for Win32 is called Bold.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<43615ca8$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
ECO for Win32 is called Bold.
Is Bold still available for purchase by users of D2005 Pro?
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 1.0.4.1334

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
Oh. I thought ECO was a lot more than that now.
It's more, and less.
More leveraging of the model, more productivity and compatibility, less
investment in a custom component hierarchy above the "standard" one.
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:

>Which is why there is no ECO for Win32 and apparently won't be?
>Borland would have already paid for someone to do this if they had
>wanted it done.

ECO for Win32 is called Bold.
and it took about 6 years to develop :-) we had expected it to take a
few weeks, but we ran slightly over budget...
/Jonas

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<43615ca8$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>ECO for Win32 is called Bold.
Is Bold still available for purchase by users of D2005 Pro?
Bold does not work with D2005 pro (according to rumors). It might work
with Ent, we have only tested it with arch.
/Jonas

Jonas Hogstrom [Borland] writes:
>Is Bold still available for purchase by users of D2005 Pro?

Bold does not work with D2005 pro (according to rumors). It might work
with Ent, we have only tested it with arch.
And it is a free download.
--

Re: ECO for Win32 was Re: Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Jonas Hogstrom [Borland] writes:
we had expected it to take a
few weeks, but we ran slightly over budget
LOL!