License question

We have D5 and wanted to add a new user license. Since D5 is no longer
available and we were thinking this was a good time to start migrating to
a newer platform we bought a new D2005. After some testing we discovered
that we can not make the move to D2005 at this time. Can we install D5 for
that new user in place of the D2005 for will that violate the license?
With all Micro$oft products you can install an older version in leu of a
newer version. So if you have an Office XP license you can install
Office 97 instead using the Office XP license for it. That what I would
like to do with D5 using the D2005 license.

Re:License question

Jerry Jennings writes:
We have D5 and wanted to add a new user license. Since D5 is no
longer available and we were thinking this was a good time to
start migrating to a newer platform we bought a new D2005. After
some testing we discovered that we can not make the move to D2005
at this time. Can we install D5 for that new user in place of
the D2005 for will that violate the license?

With all Micro$oft products you can install an older version in
leu of a newer version. So if you have an Office XP license you
can install Office 97 instead using the Office XP license for it.
That what I'd like to do with D5 using the D2005 license.
It violates the bog-standard Borland license. However, rumor has
it you can call Borland Sales and make a case and get a waiver.
I would very much like Borland to adopt the "any previous version"
licensing, but so far they haven't.
-Brion

Re:License question

We are a team of 5 developers. Each has his own license for BDS Pro. We're
now looking to set up a centralised build machine with VMware to support
official build integration. Must we buy a separate BDS license for that, or
could we just re-use one of our individual licenses for that (counting as a
2nd named-user install)?
TIA,

Re:License question

Hi,
I may be wrong but RAD Studio 2007 (including Delphi 2007 and C++Builder
2007) introduced a change in licensing restrictions that allows the
compiler to be installed on a dedicated build environment.
Regards,
Florent

Re:License question

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:

The license in Delphi 2007 and forward allows for the compiler to be
deployed for the purpose of doing builds.
Is there a different install type that would allow us to only install
the compiler and needed accessories? Or is it a build your own type of
install? Or do you mean, we can install Delphi, and only use the
compiler and no development?
The later is what I currently do, hopefully I am not violating license.
But I wasn't sure how to set the build machine up any other way.
--

Re:License question

Bob writes:
Is there a different install type that would allow us to only install
the compiler and needed accessories? Or is it a build your own type of
install? Or do you mean, we can install Delphi, and only use the
compiler and no development?
You can deploy the compiler and any/all deployable binaries to the
build machine.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re:License question

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) a écrit :
You can deploy the compiler and any/all deployable binaries to the
build machine.
Nick,
The compiler requires some dcu and dcp files of the RTL/VCL; are they
deployable? it is not really clear, I refered to Deploy.html of Delphi
2007 but could not find anything about redistribution for a build machine.
Also, does CodeGear plan to provide a compile farm (a remote build
environment with many versions of the Delphi compiler on it)? that would
help developper testing backward and forward compatibility of their code.
Regards,
Florent

Re:License question

Florent Ouchet writes:
The compiler requires some dcu and dcp files of the RTL/VCL; are they
deployable?
You are right, it is not as clear as it could be. I will get
clarification.
Also, does CodeGear plan to provide a compile farm (a remote build
environment with many versions of the Delphi compiler on it)? that
would help developper testing backward and forward compatibility of
their code.
That's a great idea, I think.
--

Florent Ouchet writes:

>The compiler requires some dcu and dcp files of the RTL/VCL; are they
>deployable?

You are right, it is not as clear as it could be. I will get
clarification.

>Also, does CodeGear plan to provide a compile farm (a remote build
>environment with many versions of the Delphi compiler on it)? that
>would help developper testing backward and forward compatibility of
>their code.

That's a great idea, I think.

Indeed it is a great idea but, what happens to those applications which
use a lot of third party components?
--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re:License question

Phillip Flores writes:
Indeed it is a great idea but, what happens to those applications
which use a lot of third party components?
Would be cool if it was "pluggable" by third-party developers.
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Re:License question

Hello.
I finished with Borland in C++Builder 4, but I followed installing demo
versions until last one.
Now I' seriously thinking turn back to C++ Builder (.NET is a joke -C++/CLI
is a second class .NET language, C# is the joke-, MFC is... is... well,
MFC). Visual Studio has more than 40.000 unresolved (and not to be solved)
bugs...
I know that a purchased version has activation stuff, but I am installing and
reinstalling Windows in a month basis (sometimes computer change, sometimes
go as consultant, sometimes because I want). What happens with licensing
activation? Can I carry the license over installations?
Thanks in advance.
--
Microsoft Visual C++ MVP