Native vs Java vs .NET performance

2006-05-25 12:36:56 AM
delphi144
www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?www.tommti-systems.de/main-Dateien/reviews/languages/benchmarks.html
.NET and Java performance seems ok except in
matrix multiplication, nested loops and exception
handling where it sucked beg time. They did not use
.NET 2.0 however. May be that one would fare better.
I am curious
Kostya

Re:Native vs Java vs .NET performance

Kostya writes:
.NET and Java performance seems ok except in
matrix multiplication, nested loops and exception
handling where it sucked beg time.
Benchmarking exception handling seems odd to me -- looking at the code
they're measuring the time to raise 100000 exceptions. In .NET this
involves at least two stack walks with security constraints checked and
more. But it strikes me that if you care about the performance of
exception handling then you're maybe asking the wrong question.... :/
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx

Re:Native vs Java vs .NET performance

Yet another site that starts rogue ActiveX apps and popup windows in IE.
It wanted to install something called DriveCleaner to my hard drive, and
wouldn't take "no" for an answer. I had to kill all IE windows to stop
it.
LOL. Lucky me. Using Firefox and did not notice any of that thing

Rick Carter writes:
Yet another site that starts rogue ActiveX apps and popup windows in
IE.
I'll take your word for it, since I don't care to haul out IE to test.
I cancelled the top post. Kostya, feel free to post a link to a safer
site if you can find one.
Firefox users, we should probably avoid posting links to sites where
popups are shown to be killed, as they could possibly be more risky for
users of other browsers.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Re:Native vs Java vs .NET performance

www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?www.tommti-systems.de/main-
Dateien/reviews/languages/benchmarks.html
Yet another site that starts rogue ActiveX apps and popup windows in IE.
It wanted to install something called DriveCleaner to my hard drive, and
wouldn't take "no" for an answer. I had to kill all IE windows to stop
it.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Native vs Java vs .NET performance

.NET and Java performance seems ok except in
.......exception handling where it sucked beg time.
You shouldn't raise exceptions very often. This fact is hinted in the name
"exception" :-)

Re:Native vs Java vs .NET performance

On 24 May 2006 09:43:15 -0700, "Craig Stuntz [TeamB]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>writes:
But it strikes me that if you care about the performance of
exception handling then you're maybe asking the wrong question.... :/
Well there are some exceptional programs out there, after all...
thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/73971.aspx
thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/38234.aspx
thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/28798.aspx
- Asbjørn

Re:Native vs Java vs .NET performance

>But it strikes me that if you care about the performance of
>exception handling then you're maybe asking the wrong question.... :/

Well there are some exceptional programs out there, after all...
thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/73971.aspx
thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/38234.aspx
thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/28798.aspx
For those who don't know, thedailywtf.com is a weblog of WTF programming
techniques, the kinds of things that you really want to avoid but, I have
found, for younger programmers, its a great site to teach them what not to
do.
In any case, the weblog is more of a comedy, just don't take it too
seriously. I say this because I have had people argue me blue in the face
that the site promotes best practice.
Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn B. writes:
In any case, the weblog is more of a comedy, just don't take it too
seriously. I say this because I have had people argue me blue in the
face that the site promotes best practice.
Someone sent around some pictures of people doing crazy and dangerous
things with heavy equipment. One of the guys I worked with couldn't
understand why some of these were a bad idea.
Unfortunately, he took the same approach with his development. This
was the same guy that wrote a With block that was nested 3 deep (bad
enough) and then defended it. It would be funnier a) if it weren't
true and b) if I didn't wind up maintaining a bunch of his code.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re:Native vs Java vs .NET performance

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" wrote
But it strikes me that if you care about the performance of
exception handling then you're maybe asking the wrong question.... :/
Now that is diplomacy!
bobD

Bruce McGee writes:
Someone sent around some pictures of people doing crazy and dangerous
things with heavy equipment. One of the guys I worked with couldn't
understand why some of these were a bad idea.

Unfortunately, he took the same approach with his development. This
was the same guy that wrote a With block that was nested 3 deep (bad
enough) and then defended it. It would be funnier a) if it weren't
true and b) if I didn't wind up maintaining a bunch of his code.

if you're in 'with statement' hell I have got a free tool that can safely remove them.

Bruce McGee writes:

Unfortunately, he took the same approach with his development. This
was the same guy that wrote a With block that was nested 3 deep (bad
enough) and then defended it. It would be funnier a) if it weren't
true and b) if I didn't wind up maintaining a bunch of his code.
Names! I need names so I never consider hiring him! <g>
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." ?Robert
Wilensky

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
Names! I need names so I never consider hiring him! <g>
It's a different person from the one who thinks GOTOs are cool feature
in Delphi (he also likes *very* long procedures), who is also different
from the guy who doesn't like meaningful field and variable names
because it is too much typing.
And I had a boss once tell me that he had a firm grasp on the concept
of top-down development (in Basic) because he tried to never use
branching or gosubs.
I've got more of these stories than I do about car break downs, and I
have a fair number of those. One of these days I am gonna write a book.
:)
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Charles McAllister writes:
if you're in 'with statement' hell I have got a free tool that can
safely remove them.
I'd be curious to see it. Don't tell anyone it is free, though. I'm
pretty sure you could convince Nick Hodges to pay for a copy. :)
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Bruce McGee writes:

And I had a boss once tell me that he had a firm grasp on the concept
of top-down development (in Basic) because he tried to never use
branching or gosubs.
After reading that I feel like I need a shower or something! <g>
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can
stand by itself." - Thomas Jefferson