Delphi on the road, why not in France?

2006-05-02 03:21:34 PM
delphi274
Hi guys,
I've seen this web site posted on some French newsgroups:
www.delphi-2006.com/
and I am wondering why there is not a single date in France? Some say
it's because Borland France is angry against Borland US, some say it's
because London is close...
What is the reality here? I know that some French people won't want to
listen to an English spoken presentation, but still, I'd not mind :-)
Any insight welcome.
Cheers
Olivier

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

Hi OBones,
What is the reality here? I know that some French people won't want to
listen to an English spoken presentation, but still, I'd not mind :-)
For some reason, Borland France never answer my questions or proposals
to do any English spoken presentations anytime anywhere in France (while
this is no problem in Germany for example), so my personal and
non-informed feeling is that it might be the language "barrier"
indeed...
Any insight welcome.
I have no idea why France isn't included in the Delphi 2006 tour. In The
Netherlands, we have our own SDC event on May 15-16 (see
www.sdc.nl) where DavidI and Gerard v/d Pol from Borland will
speak.
Cheers
Olivier
Groetjes,
Bob Swart
Blog: www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: drbob42.com/weblog.xml

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

>What is the reality here? I know that some French people won't want to
>listen to an English spoken presentation, but still, I'd not mind
:-)

For some reason, Borland France never answer my questions or proposals
to do any English spoken presentations anytime anywhere in France (while
this is no problem in Germany for example), so my personal and
non-informed feeling is that it might be the language "barrier"
indeed...
Seriously?
*Borland* France won't get their own people out to speak ont heir own
products because the language spoken by people *from their head office* or
other visiting experts that will help them promote their own products is not
the language of the country?
It sounds a bit like 'chopping off one's nose to spite one's face . . .'
Lauchlan M

Lauchlan M writes:
>>What is the reality here? I know that some French people won't want to
>>listen to an English spoken presentation, but still, I'd not mind
:-)
>For some reason, Borland France never answer my questions or proposals
>to do any English spoken presentations anytime anywhere in France (while
>this is no problem in Germany for example), so my personal and
>non-informed feeling is that it might be the language "barrier"
>indeed...

Seriously?

*Borland* France won't get their own people out to speak ont heir own
products because the language spoken by people *from their head office* or
other visiting experts that will help them promote their own products is not
the language of the country?

It sounds a bit like 'chopping off one's nose to spite one's face . . .'
That's why I am asking this. But I wouldn't be very surprised if at least
some people in management would be so disconnected from reality that
they believe they don't need English speakers...

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

For some reason, Borland France never answer my questions or proposals
to do any English spoken presentations anytime anywhere in France (while
this is no problem in Germany for example), so my personal and
non-informed feeling is that it might be the language "barrier"
indeed...
If what you are guessing is true, then "shame" on Borland France !.
Well, I'd not mind to listen English presentation too...
I was also thinking about this, why Borland did not concentrate one of their presentation on Strasbourg ? (East Of France).
Due to the geographical position of the City of Strasbourg, Borland could fetch here a lot of German and French Speaking Delphi User.
Strasbourg is about 500km from Paris ,next to the German border, about 200km from Luxembourg city (French and German speakers) , 300 from Belgium (French and German speakers) ...

OBones writes:
Hi guys,

I've seen this web site posted on some French newsgroups:

www.delphi-2006.com/

and I am wondering why there is not a single date in France? Some say
it's because Borland France is angry against Borland US, some say it's
because London is close...
What is the reality here? I know that some French people won't want to
listen to an English spoken presentation, but still, I'd not mind :-)
Two reasons.
Some say that having english speakers
in france are a waist anyway. Others
might say that english is not sufficient
to spend the day there.
Rene
--
Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - www.ibrtses.com
& commercial newsgroups - www.talkto.net

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

I was also thinking about this, why Borland did not concentrate one of
their presentation on Strasbourg ? (East Of France).
Due to the geographical position of the City of Strasbourg, Borland could
fetch here a lot of German and French Speaking Delphi User.
Strasbourg is about 500km from Paris ,next to the German border, about
200km from Luxembourg city (French and German speakers) , 300 from Belgium
(French and German speakers) ...
Yes that might be a good idea,
Switzerland isn't too far from there as well,
Bruno

Stephane Wierzbicki writes:
I was also thinking about this, why Borland did not concentrate one of
their presentation on Strasbourg ? (East Of France).
Yes, but train access is not that good until at least the end of 2007.
Having it in Paris means easy TGV access froM Belgium, west of France,
south-east of France, Switzerland...
Ah well, I guess the language barrier is too strong is some stubborn
minds in our society... After all, what would it be like if a French
speaker wanted to make an event in the US?

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

Ask them directly. Both Borland France and Developer Relations and see
what they say. At the very least, you will let them know that there's
some interest in your area for the next time they have a tour.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

Yes, I vote for Switzerland ;-)
"Bruno Fierens [tmssoftware.com]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:44572c73$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

Bruce McGee writes:
Ask them directly. Both Borland France and Developer Relations and see
what they say. At the very least, you will let them know that there's
some interest in your area for the next time they have a tour.
Yes, but I wanted some "off the book" opinions. I will see what I gather
this afternoon when the US has arrived at work.

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

Switzerland isn't too far from there as well,
Switzerland is also closer than Paris from here.
Eric

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

"OBones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What is the reality here? I know that some French people won't want to
listen to an English spoken presentation, but still, I'd not mind :-)

Olivier that is the problem with anything you take to France
in English. If the French looked upon the English language
as American then maybe they could stomach it more, it is
just racism at it is worst.
Maybe Tony Blair should buy DevCo he speaks perfect
French like a lot of English people.

Re:Delphi on the road, why not in France?

>>What is the reality here? I know that some French people won't want to
>>listen to an English spoken presentation, but still, I'd not mind
:-)

>For some reason, Borland France never answer my questions or proposals
>to do any English spoken presentations anytime anywhere in France (while
>this is no problem in Germany for example), so my personal and
>non-informed feeling is that it might be the language "barrier"
>indeed...

Seriously?

*Borland* France won't get their own people out to speak ont heir own
products because the language spoken by people *from their head office* or
other visiting experts that will help them promote their own products is
not
the language of the country?
Well, they ARE French after all ;)
--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server

Bruno Fierens [tmssoftware.com] a écrit :
>I was also thinking about this, why Borland did not concentrate one of
>their presentation on Strasbourg ? (East Of France).
>Due to the geographical position of the City of Strasbourg, Borland could
>fetch here a lot of German and French Speaking Delphi User.
>Strasbourg is about 500km from Paris ,next to the German border, about
>200km from Luxembourg city (French and German speakers) , 300 from Belgium
>(French and German speakers) ...

Yes that might be a good idea,
Switzerland isn't too far from there as well,

Bruno

Yes, you are right Bruno ! But who can advertise for this at Borland ?