Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

2006-03-24 11:17:03 PM
delphi244
Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while Delphi
was open? It seems that sometimes when I have tried to use either of these
things, several apps, such as Delphi, act weird after coming out of StandBy
or Hibernation. Today I even saw an error message from something in the
toolbar that said something to the effect that there was "insufficient
memory for the API". It seems that the only way to be totally safe is to do
an actual shutdown, not a StandBy or Hibernation.

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

Captain Jake writes:
Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while
Delphi was open?
My last laptop had major troubles, but that ended up being a flaky
motherboard. Now I have no issues at all.
-AJ Marknette

Captain Jake writes:
Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while
Delphi was open?
Not so far. My laptop has gone into both standby and hibernation with
D7 open with no ill effects as of yet.

Captain Jake writes:
It seems that the only way to be totally safe is to do
an actual shutdown, not a StandBy or Hibernation.

Why shutdown?
What if you close Delphi and then do StandBy/Hybernate?

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

It seems that the only way to be totally safe is to do
an actual shutdown, not a StandBy or Hibernation.
I don't do standby any more, as that has caused me a few problems. I always use
hibernate, although I do try and remember to close the apps down. A number of
apps have seemed slightly dodgy occaasionally when I don't.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Captain Jake writes:
Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while Delphi
was open?
Works fine for me. However, Firefox and Thunderbird often peg the CPU
at close to 100% (if I have both Thunderbird and Firefox open I see each
one "share" the CPU at 50%!!!) after restoring from Hibernate. This
happens on my work system and my laptop.
Also, sometimes my laptop will take a long time (5 mins or longer- I've
never timed it) to restore from a hibernated state!
I have a feeling that there is some general problem with XP's
hibernation. I just don't trust it to restore things perfectly every
time...
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

>Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while
Delphi
>was open?

Works fine for me. However, Firefox and Thunderbird often peg the CPU
at close to 100% (if I have both Thunderbird and Firefox open I see each
one "share" the CPU at 50%!!!) after restoring from Hibernate. This
happens on my work system and my laptop.

Also, sometimes my laptop will take a long time (5 mins or longer- I've
never timed it) to restore from a hibernated state!
Hmm... this, I might have had also ... but then I rebooted before
it finished :-)
Would the long hangup happen between the progressbar (in plain
text) and the XP login screen?
--
Martijn Tonies
Server

Captain Jake writes:
Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while Delphi
was open? It seems that sometimes when I have tried to use either of these
No problem with Delphi 7.
Mark

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

Why shutdown?
What if you close Delphi and then do StandBy/Hybernate?
Or would this be a time when minimizing and then restoring Delphi might
help? I haven't tried it myself.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Martijn Tonies writes:
Would the long hangup happen between the progressbar (in plain
text) and the XP login screen?
Yes.

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

Mark A. Andrews writes:
No problem with Delphi 7.
Of course, Delphi 7 is perfect! Just the act of installing it will make
your computer glow. In fact... pretty soon that glow spreads to the
rest of the house and the neighbourhood and eventually the world is all
bright and shiny and no-one is starving any more and there is no more
war and the world is at peace and AND AND!!!!!
Sorry... couldn't help myself.
Signed: A BDS2006 user. ;-)

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

I usually shut Delphi down before standby. But, I just tried standby with
OE, VS2005, D2006, D6, Oracle8i, Pervasive8, and Pl/Sql Dev, running
simultaneously. Don't notice any problems.
"Captain Jake" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while Delphi
was open?

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

"Captain Jake" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Has anyone else had any luck using StandBy or Hibernate in XP while Delphi
was open? It seems that sometimes when I have tried to use either of these
things, several apps, such as Delphi, act weird after coming out of
StandBy or Hibernation. Today I even saw an error message from something
in the toolbar that said something to the effect that there was
"insufficient memory for the API". It seems that the only way to be
totally safe is to do an actual shutdown, not a StandBy or Hibernation.
It is a known problem with Win Xp with more than 1 GB of RAM.
blogs.msdn.com/smguest/archive/2006/03/13/550940.aspx
blogs.msdn.com/czhower/archive/2006/01/03/508909.aspx
There is a fix available for it now, which apparently, according to the MSDN
blog works! Meanwhile shutting down Delphi and then trying to hibernate
works well for me.
The fix : support.microsoft.com/
Vikram

Vikram Kulkarni writes:
It is a known problem with Win Xp with more than 1 GB of RAM.
blogs.msdn.com/smguest/archive/2006/03/13/550940.aspx
Interesting... that explains why I am not seeing the problem. I only
have 1GB of RAM. :-(
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Hibernate and/or StandBy Deadly for Delphi?

Like Kevin, I also have 1G of memory. I hibernate all the time (the
computer too<g>) with D2006 running. No problems.
Dan
"Vikram Kulkarni" <vikram_a.t._captools_dot_com>writes