progress bar while executing a lengthy stored procedure

2008-05-22 07:24:27 PM
delphi225
Hello,
I wonder if I can display from my app a progress bar or a busy status
while a for..select is executing.
Thanks

Re:progress bar while executing a lengthy stored procedure

I wonder if I can display from my app a progress bar or a busy status
while a for..select is executing.
It depends what you mean by "progress". The notion of "progress" requires
some kind of feedback and knowing how long it will take. If you call
a Stored Procedure, that is just a single operation (even though internally
it does a whole lot more) from a client-side programs point of view.
Why not display an animation that shows "waiting" or something?
--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server

Re:progress bar while executing a lengthy stored procedure

ok, but how I know if the procedure has finished ? without store in a
temp table if possible

Isaac writes:
ok, but how I know if the procedure has finished ? without store in
a temp table if possible
A call to a stored procedure is blocking. The call will not return
until the stored procedure has finished execution. To execute a stored
procedure and display some entertainment for the user while the
procedure is executing you must execute the procedure in a background
thread and display whatever you are going to display in the
application's main thread.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Bill Todd [TeamB] writes:
Isaac writes:

>ok, but how I know if the procedure has finished ? without store in
>a temp table if possible

A call to a stored procedure is blocking. The call will not return
until the stored procedure has finished execution. To execute a stored
procedure and display some entertainment for the user while the
procedure is executing you must execute the procedure in a background
thread and display whatever you are going to display in the
application's main thread.

ok, FIBPLus TpFIBStoredProc component has before execute and after
execute events I can also use that.

Isaac writes:
Bill Todd [TeamB] writes:
>Isaac writes:
>
>>ok, but how I know if the procedure has finished ? without store in
>>a temp table if possible
>
>A call to a stored procedure is blocking. The call will not return
>until the stored procedure has finished execution. To execute a stored
>procedure and display some entertainment for the user while the
>procedure is executing you must execute the procedure in a background
>thread and display whatever you are going to display in the
>application's main thread.

ok, FIBPLus TpFIBStoredProc component has before execute and after
execute events I can also use that.

Thanks
Are you using Firebird?
--
Will R
PMC Consulting

WillR writes:
Isaac writes:
>Bill Todd [TeamB] writes:
>>Isaac writes:
>>
>>>ok, but how I know if the procedure has finished ? without store in
>>>a temp table if possible
>>
>>A call to a stored procedure is blocking. The call will not return
>>until the stored procedure has finished execution. To execute a stored
>>procedure and display some entertainment for the user while the
>>procedure is executing you must execute the procedure in a background
>>thread and display whatever you are going to display in the
>>application's main thread.
>>
>ok, FIBPLus TpFIBStoredProc component has before execute and after
>execute events I can also use that.
>
>Thanks

Are you using Firebird?

Actually both FB and Interbase