Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

2007-10-20 10:47:33 PM
delphi41
Hi
We have two units for CPU and System info: SystemInfoUnit and FastcodeCPUID.
These two units really need some updates.
I think Jouni promised to do this? Are you willing/able/etc to do it now
Jouni?
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi Dennis,

We have two units for CPU and System info: SystemInfoUnit and FastcodeCPUID.

These two units really need some updates.

I think Jouni promised to do this? Are you willing/able/etc to do it now
Jouni?

I need some kicking, been too lazy for too long time :) Will you
refresh my mind, I remember that Core2Duo detection is missing but
did we have some other changes planned too?
Regards,
Jouni
--
The Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi Jouni
Welcome :-))
I do not really know. I have forgotten everything ;-)
We need Conroe, SSSE3 and Vista support now as the very bare minimum.
Very soon we will need Barcelone, Penryn and SSE4 support.
We better do as much as we can now, because all B&V's will need to be
updated.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi Jouni
And a corrected target list with 2007 targets
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi
And then you are at it :-)
SSE5 support.
From
www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/43479.pdf
Support for the new instructions is indicated by ECX bit 11 (SSE5) as
returned by CPUID function 8000_0001h. Attempting to execute these
instructions causes a #UD exception if they are not present in the hardware.
Best regards
Lars G

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi
Yes better be in good time ;-)

Dennis writes:
We need Conroe, SSSE3 and Vista support now as the very bare minimum.
I've got Vista, but haven't found any problems?
Soon I will try some runs to find Vista related bugs.
Kind regards,
Davy Landman

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi Davy
There are no real problems regarding Vista. Only issue is that the OS
type/version is logged in the ValidationResult files and Vista is not
recognized by the SystemInfoUnit.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi,
The Jedi Code Library (JCL) has some code to identify CPUs; it seems
redundant with this piece of code of the FastCode project.
Could we merge our development efforts?
Regards,
Florent

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi Dennis,
We have two units for CPU and System info: SystemInfoUnit and FastcodeCPUID.

These two units really need some updates.

I think Jouni promised to do this? Are you willing/able/etc to do it now
Jouni?

I finally did updates to FastcodeCPUID and SystemInfoUnit. New units
are uploaded to Yahoo: Files>Libraries>FastcodeCPUID.pas v 3.0.4
FastcodeCPUID changes:
- Added SSE4A, SSE4.1, SSE4.2 and SSE5 detections. As I don't have such
computers, detections are untested and made according to AMD and Intel
PDF documentation. Someone may have a look at code to check that it
looks correct. After review I could start making new 2007 versions of
many B&Vs.
- Added official 2007 targets
- FastCode.inc has FastcodeSSE3 and FastcodeSSSE3 defines. FastCode.inc
and FastcodeCPUID.pas should be ready to our library.
SystemInfoUnit already had Vista detection working, that unit has been
updated to print those new SSE4/5 types.
In zip file there's example how to update IDCT B&V, new MainUnit.pas and
MainUnit.dfm. Currently infos about targets and CPU MMX/SSE capabilities
were in form caption and I changed those to a TMemo. Form caption wasn't
the best place.
Regards,
Jouni
--
The Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Fastcode CPUID/SystemInfo

Hi Jouni
Thanks.
I will include them in the next release of IDCT, and any other B&V I update.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen